Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Shadow of Ecclesia (Fan Project - New Demo Available)  (Read 82516 times)

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
-Castlevania: Shadow of Ecclesia-
-Built with [DOMINUS ENGINE]-

Castlevania: Shadow of Ecclesia (Alpha Demo)

Test Shanoa’s resolve as you explore the “Decrepit Mansion”, a map created specifically for our Alpha Demo. Take advantage of a small arsenal of weapon glyphs and utilize powerful new combat abilities (such as the dodge roll and flying knee kick) to eviscerate your opponents. In addition, the Alpha Demo includes gear in your inventory that can alter Shanoa’s stats and appearance.

Download Link:
Castlevania Shadow of Ecclesia (Alpha Demo)

Gameplay Gifs:

Features in Alpha Demo:
  • Includes 4 Weapon Glyphs that can be found while exploring
  • 3 special equipment pieces that alter Shanoa's appearance
  • "Art of Jaa" Flying Knee Kick melee ability
  • "Heavy Attack" System, replaces OoE's "Glyph Unions".
    As a note: Not all weapons have programmed Heavy Attacks in this demo (will be in the next demo)
  • Enemy Types: Bat, Skeleton, Bloody Zombie, Zombie, and Axe Armor
  • Custom Controls support (works best with Xbox 360 / Xbox One controller)
  • Lighting System

Useful Tips:
This demo does not include a tutorial. A proper tutorial mechanic is in the works and will be featured in future demos.
  • Absorbing Glyphs - Hold [UP] to absorb Glyphs. Glyphs can grant Shanoa new weapons and abilities.
  • Heavy Attacks - Press [UP] + [X] / [Y]. Releases a devastating attack for equipped Weapon Glyph.
  • Slide Kick - Press [A] while crouching. Slide kicks grant immunity frames and can be used to evade enemy attacks.
  • Back Dash - Press {B}. Moves Shanoa backwards. Grants immunity frames, use to quickly avoid enemy attacks.
  • Attack Canceling - Press {B} while Attacking. Immediately cancels an active attack and executes a Back Dash maneuver.
  • Dash Canceling - Press [X] / [Y] while Back Dashing. Cancels the Back Dash and executes an attack ability. Can be used with Heavy Attacks.
  • Directional Dash - Press [BACKWARD] / [FORWARD] + {B} while attacking. Cancels an active attack into a Back Dash in any given direction.
  • "Art of Jaa" (Flying Knee Kick) - Press [DOWN] -> [FORWARD] -> [X].[/b] Initiates a power Flying Knee Kick attack. Activates a brief cooldown when used.

Although this is the latest Pubic Release demo it is pretty outdated relative to the current closed build. We've added a significant amount of progress, and issues you'll run into in this demo may have been corrected. However, the general feel of the gameplay is still a fairly accurate representation of what the project currently plays like.  We're always looking for criticism and ways we can improve the project. If you have time, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the demo!

Previous Post Archive:
(click to show/hide)

Questions? Comments? Feel free to post your opinions here and I'll answer what I can. Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:52:32 AM by ProjectDread »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Re: Dominus Engine (Ecclesia Fangame, Tech Demo Available)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 02:53:30 PM »
Woah, that's freaking awesome. :) Nice job!

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
NICE!!

It makes me happy that more people are using MMF2/Clickteam Fusion 2.5 on the Dungeon!

For a minute I thought I was the minority here!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »
+1
I would like to put in a request for your game. Glyph whips. There weren't any in the original game sadly and this was disappointing as whip is somewhat of a set-standard when it comes to Castlevania. And make it strong glyph too  :D

Good luck with your project and Welcome to the Dungeon ProjectDread.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 07:22:09 PM »
That looks really nice!
Welcome to the Dungeon ProjectDread!
You might also want to join the monthly contests that we're holding here.  :)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 09:22:13 PM »
I completely agree with the whip glyphs statement!  Otherwise, what you have already is amazing!

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:33:10 PM »
Very nice! I'm not sure what else to say that hasn't been said, but this is impressive.

Also, I've run into a bug. Obviously this scenario is unlikely in the finished version, but it still could happen. Shanoa can't slide if she's touching a zombie.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 11:10:06 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the comments and the welcoming. I'm pretty horrid at spriting so I probably wouldn't be very useful at the monthly competitions but I'll check into it, haha. Also, interesting idea concerning the use of Whip Glyphs in the game; figured I'd try something with it. Here's a teaser.

(click to show/hide)

@Dracula9:
Thanks for the comment. Currently the slide kick doesn't damage enemies but I'm trying to think of the best way to implement this. In the other DS Castlevania's, the slide kick attack always seemed useless to me so I'm trying to think of a better way to do it here. One idea I had is perhaps adding invincibility frames to you while you're slide kicking so you'd do a minor amount of damage to enemies you collide with while passing through them as well. Problem with this though is you could just slide kick through everything and not have to fight any of the enemies. This could be remedied by adding a cool down to it, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'll just keep it like the original game. You guys have any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:12:30 PM by ProjectDread »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 11:53:35 PM »
Nice! However I would personally make the whip just a tad longer. Say two extra chain-links longer..? Kinda how Richter's Vampirekiller in PoR was longer then the one Jonathan used.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »
Nice work!
It's good to see more Castlevania projects popping up.

About the slide. I think simply adding in a short delay after a slide attack before you can do it again should mitigate the possibility of abusing it's invincibility frames. Plus, sliding through an enemy's feet to avoid the fight is really no different than jumping over them. Yeah just having a slight delay would be a good balance between avoiding enemies and the annoyance of getting hit pretty much every time a slide is attempted.

Whip length seems fine to me. Shanoa isn't a Belmont after all and she isn't using the Vampire Killer itself.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Rudolph LagnaGaisaer

• Dragon Slayer.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 10:41:23 AM »
Good work.There is a bug where if you hold one direction and press another you will walk without the animation.
not trying to discourage you, but seems that the  engine and language  that  you use are fit to 2D only games. and All Order of Ecclesia Assets Excluding rarely thing's like the HUD that contains the lifebar and some menus are 3D objects that doesn't rotate over the X axis. and 30 to 50 % of the enemies including Shanoa are just glued pieces of these object's each one containing a separated hitbox. that's why the Slide does damage and you still take damage if get hit.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »
Wait a sec, what about this? : http://rezzzah.deviantart.com/art/My-castlevania-engine-271366399   It has the same exact controls, intitial equip, everything. It kinda confuzzles me. I hope I don't sound like an asshole.

Also, could you upload that windows version? My eyes hurts.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:59:58 PM by ZeroSaberGreen »
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »
Good work.There is a bug where if you hold one direction and press another you will walk without the animation.
not trying to discourage you, but seems that the  engine and language  that  you use are fit to 2D only games. and All Order of Ecclesia Assets Excluding rarely thing's like the HUD that contains the lifebar and some menus are 3D objects that doesn't rotate over the X axis. and 30 to 50 % of the enemies including Shanoa are just glued pieces of these object's each one containing a separated hitbox. that's why the Slide does damage and you still take damage if get hit.

Except that you can do all of that on 2D and no one would even notice the difference, except for that polygon enemies (peeping eye from PoR is a good example). You can add separate hitboxes that changes according to the animation if you wanted also.

Actually this bug that you mentioned is pretty common in fangames using built-in engines as a base and can be easily fixed, but almost everyone forget to do that, another similiar bug that can happen in these games is press up+left or up+right, so I ever try these combinations when Im testing something xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 11:31:07 PM »
@IssoBelmont: Could you elaborate more on how you performed glitch? When you hold left + right at the same time I made it so Shanoa just stops moving, so I can't seem to recreate it. Also, I'm pretty sure Ecclesia is using some sort of 2D skeletal animation system for a lot of enemies. Even though it will be a pain in the ass to copy some of those assets (mostly bosses), I can emulate most of the enemies without too many issues. Slide kick having a separate hitbox near her feat is also easy mode, it just hasn't been implemented yet.

@ZeroSaberGreen: Ah, I played the Rezz engine some time ago and he's one of the people who initially inspired me to start this project as he seems to be the only person I could find who attempted to make a DS Vania engine. The control method in his game is comfortable for a DS-to-keyboard setup so I thought I'd use it on my game as well. Besides that and the fact that you start with a sword, there aren't many similarities to be had. Dominus Engine was programmed from the ground up so most things including the weapons system, physics, damage recoil, enemies etc. feel and function very different.

11/30/2014 EDIT: Thanks for the feedback guys, I made some minor changes to the engine and updated the DeviantArt Public Flash build.

Updates on build v0.39a:
*Attempted fix for an animation glitch that could cause Shanoa to slide, attack, and stand in place at the same time. Please let me know if this corrected the "hold left+right" animation glitch.
*Fixed an audio glitch where the "landing" sample would play upon starting the test level.

Click Here for the Windows executable version
Note: Dominus Engine will automatically default to joypad controls if one is detected. x1 - x4 scaling and full-screen mode are supported. Custom controls are planned for future releases.

Click Here for the latest DeviantArt public flash beta
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 04:59:58 PM by ProjectDread »

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »
Hey guys, project update. Started working on the Menu Screen / UI a while back. Here's a teaser:

Also, I'm looking for people who may be interested in joining the team and assisting with the project. As of now, here are the current positions available:

Beta Testers:
Mainly looking for people who have time to test and analyze early builds of the game to find bugs and make other gameplay-related recommendations. Will have early access to prototype builds of the game before public releases are available.

Spriters / Graphics Designers:
Create custom assets and make modifications to ripped Order of Ecclesia graphics. Right now I'm focusing on the start screen, and am open to suggestions here.

If anyone is interested, please send me a PM or reply in this thread. Feel free to post any questions you might have, happy holidays!

anything