Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Game idea: Dracula  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Mathias Hyperion

• Vampire Hunter
  • Wanderer in time and space
    • The Forgotten Library
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« on: November 03, 2007, 12:56:45 PM »
(I would have called this Blood but then I found out that that's already a FPS. It could also be called Nosferatu, The Undead, The Vampyre, Castle Dracula, etc.)

A FPS/RPG (FPRPG) in the style of BioShock based on the Dracula story, but changing it rather. Basically, you play as Jonathan Harker, who is on his way... somewhere (I don't know if a solicitor would be much fun to play as) and ends up in Dracula's castle. He has been bitten by a vampire (possibly in a distorted, trance-like version of the "he belongs to me!" scene). His main goals are to defeat the three Brides and the Count himself, and of course to escape the castle. As he explores the huge castle, he is able to grow more powerful due to his newly-acquired vampire blood, and acquire a lot of special abilities.

And sshh, it's not just a combination of BioShock, Castlevania and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, with no original ideas whatsoever.

You could also call it Dracula's Guest...
"These are dark times. Times without hope." - Zobek

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 02:30:29 PM »
Can this possibly be "an original idea you have for a video game that would kick ass but you can't make it since you don't have the skills" thread? Please? Pretty please?  ;D

Anyway, about your idea, I think it sound interesting but then I would like to know if you're making it a first person (or better, third person?) 3D game, which direction do you want to take it? Do you want it to be more of a shooting/fighting game like Resident Evil where you use various weaponry to get rid of the unholy in a bloodbath, or do you want it to be more of an Adventure/quest game like Silent Hill where the fighting is not as important as solving riddles? For a dark First Person survival horror game that involves lots of fighting in a castle you have the game Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi, I don't know if you heard about it, I played it and didn't like it, it was way too hard right on the beginning and damn DARK (and when I say dark, I mean you-can't-see-a-damn-thing dark). I only played trough the first areas and I already decided it was way too boring for me. You should try the game if you like this kind of thing though.

My idea for a game is like this:
It's a diablo-style (upper view) RPG, and it should be called "Crusade" or something like this.
Now, I know games of similar style has been made, I even played one of them, but that one would be different. First off, take out all the fantasy elements. Elves, orks, fairies, demons we don't want any of that stuff. Instead, replace them with religious innuendo.
Now, did I say the game is going to very Mature-oriented and extremely politically-incorrect? Good.
Now for the story. You play the role of a knight-crusader, sent by the Holy Church in a major crusade to protect the Holy Land from the threat of Saracens trying to retake it.
On the same topic, you are also on a secret holy mission to investigate and find out more about the life and fate of your messiah Jesus Christ (Dan Brown? No, but what would a controversial RPG be without annoying Catholics).
As for the gameplay itself, just like in any RPG you would have to explore cities, solve puzzles, complete quests, purchase valuable items, you know, all that stuff. But other than that you would be hunted, imprisoned, tortured. You would kill innocent people, betray your friends, plot to destroy the Church. Other than that, you would also have to build the trust of different "races" and groups through the game. Many items in the game would have attribution so you would have to think what to equip. Do not think Christians would be willing to tell you anything useful while you are wearing Saracen armor. Obviously, the in-game races are enemies of each other: The Christians hate the Muslims. The Muslims hate the Christians. Everybody hates the Jews. The Church does not trust a person who assisted Heretics. Piss off the Christians and soon enough Inquisitors would hunt you. Annoy the Muslims and assassins would be sent to take you down. In all of this mess, you would have to survive and remain sane enough to make the right decisions as to which paths to take. Of course there would be several endings according to the paths you took. Are you a faithful follower of the Pope, or do you doubt your faith and would be called a Heretic? Are you a brave knight who would protect his fellows or will you run away when overpowered? Will you chase fortune or ideals? Now that is the RPG I want to see!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 02:33:55 PM by Freddy Krueger »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Mathias Hyperion

• Vampire Hunter
  • Wanderer in time and space
    • The Forgotten Library
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 01:50:03 AM »
Well yes, I can't imagine it would ever get through (I mean, they've banned Manhunt 2 here), but it would certainly be an interesting game. You could call it a Dark-Night-of-the-Soul-em-up. In fact, Dark Knight of the Soul [sic] might actually be a pretty good name for it.

Yes, my idea is sort of in the vein of System Shock/BioShock. You could even describe it as a first person, creepier Metroidvania. Metroidvania Prime, you might say... Anyway, the enemies have varying AIs based on what they are (I mean, you wouldn't expect zombies to coordinate their attacks), but they are few and far between, and ambush/stalk you. But you do get a fair bit of weaponry, although in keeping with the time and theme (revolvers, shotguns, crossbows, Crosses, Holy Water, etc.) And you have to search for a key to open a door, and there is the occassional puzzle/riddle (you gave me the idea). And when you die, you could be returned to a resurrection chamber... this has so much plagiarised of the Shocks 2K would probably have to make it. Now THAT would kick ass...

And adding to the Silent Hill similarities, there are some parts where an enemy will only be revealed by using a candle, lantern or torch (the latter of which is made by dragging a box of matches you've found over a bit of wood or a burnt-out torch).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 01:54:04 AM by Mathias Hyperion »
"These are dark times. Times without hope." - Zobek

Tags:

anything