Poll

Which is your favourite version of the original Castlevania game?

Castlevania (1986, NES)
7 (19.4%)
Vampire Killer (1986, MSX2)
0 (0%)
Haunted Castle (1988, Arcade)
0 (0%)
Super Castlevania IV (1991, SNES)
26 (72.2%)
Castlevania Chronicles (2001, PS)
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Best version of Castlevania  (Read 20967 times)

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 05:12:05 PM »
Then look here:only if you use holy water on everybody, death is insanely tough if you don't soak him.

Maybe you missed that before?

That actually means that he thinks the game is easy.  However, it is only easy if a certain thing is done.  I still haven't seen him say "Castlevania is not an easy game," in any of those posts.  But, that's just semantics anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

I still hold that Castlevania isn't an easy game.  It's not hard to say that after you've gotten accustomed to everything in it, but I've seen plenty of people play it and get slaughtered time and again, if not on the first level, then usually the second.  That says something to me.

About the holy water, none of us can say for sure, but I really don't think it was meant to be exploited that way by the creators.  And I don't do it, either.

Oh, and another thing.  Why are some basing all of Castlevania 1's difficulty on the bosses?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 05:14:47 PM by Blue Successor »

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Wolfman
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Best version of Castlevania
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 05:24:24 PM »
but it's not it's common sense, everything isn't black and white. Konami at the time had a habit of making hard games, look at the MSX castlevania for proof. I'm sure if they knew death could be beat like that they would have fixed the game.

Common sense doesn't ensure you're correct.

Belm0nt

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 06:17:41 PM »
Hmmm, I've always used the Boomerang or Axe on Death in CV1.....

Holy Water works great on Frankenstein though, whom I think ties Death for the hardest boss in the game. (Without sub-weapons of course...)

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 06:25:59 PM »

I'm not twisting any of your words.  You keep saying over and over that you don't "really" beat Castlevania if you use the holy water strategy on Death.  Do you not understand your own words?

yes you can use that strategy on death if you just wish to pass him, but have you really overpowered and beaten him strength wise when he was at full power? no. So technically speaking you would still be beating the game no matter what strategy you used, but you wouldn't have defeated death at his fullest, just utilized a flaw in the programming to get a flawless victory. So in my opinion you haven't really beaten the game until you've defeated death w/out the holy water trick, now this doesn't mean you can't use holy water on him, I was just talking about that one trick. And this is all my opinion, this is just what I believe as I don't really feel I've beaten a game until I've defeated all the bosses w/out utilizing a flaw in the programming. Not to badmouth anyone who does, to each his own, but I find it more fun and rewarding not to.

Holy Water works great on Frankenstein though, whom I think ties Death for the hardest boss in the game. (Without sub-weapons of course...)

Yeah Frankenstein is tough, he wouldn't be so bad if all you had to do was dodge igor and he wasn't constantly advancing too, hell even with the holy water even though it damages him alot he can still be tough if you don't hit him jus right.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 06:28:56 PM by The Last Belmont »
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2007, 07:20:28 PM »
So, in your opinion, The Last Belmont, you haven't really beaten VS. Castlevania?

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2007, 09:17:21 PM »
no, but I was glad to just finish it it's so damn hard, I might try to beat it on normal and hard modes w/out using the water trick someday, if I could just get an axe and a triple shot and was persistent I could probably do it.  :)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2007, 10:04:53 PM »
I picked the original CV. Awesome game for the time and is sooo damn memorable.

CV Chronicles/X68000 came close, IMO. I really liked how it's general layout was.

I didn't care for SCV4. It wasn't really memorable, and I cannot see why so many people rave about the music. I know it's all personal taste, but I can never find myself listening to it's music outside of the game. The colors of the graphics were too bright for me(and they kinda clashed). There was some interesting ideas(loved the spinning room), but not enough to replace CV1 as my definative "Castlevania".

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2007, 11:08:03 PM »
^I agree I love SCV4 but it still pales in comparison to the nes original, something about going all through the castle and having to figure out where all the food is and how to dodge all the enemy attacks because you can take so few hits in those later levels and figuring out all kinds of ways to beat the bosses and what works best really as well. Also the nes (and MSX version if your good at it and know where the keys are or use save states) has a length that makes you want to keep playin' but doesn't overwhelm you. (first time I played 4 I kept wondering when I was gonna finally get to the keep) 4 is too forgiving for an oldschool game for my tastes as well. I like the ones that force you to get good and go through the levels just about perfect so you can beat the boss. 4's fun and I play it every now and then but it can't live up to the nes one. :)

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 09:48:01 AM »
The original Castlevania on the NES is truly a classic game, still fun and satisfying to play to this day.  However, Super Castlevania IV really improves on the original in almost every aspect.  The graphics are much better, period.  The sound is also much better, in terms of both music and sound effects.  Many of the classic themes first introduced in the NES Castlevanias (e.g. Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears, Beginning, etc.) are reproduced with much better composition and sound quality (even if SNES sound is still very synthy), plus MANY more new tracks were introduced, including some newer classics like the Theme of Simon.  The music compliments the grahpics well, creating a very moody and gothic ambiance, which is perfect for a game like Castlevania.  There are many more types of enemies and bosses.  You play through many more stages, each rather unique.  The difficulty of the game is true to Castlevania form, but the challenge seems more "legitimate" in that you're not limited by stiff controls, unforgiving physics, or odd collision detection.  Super Castlevania IV is just such a big step up from the NES Castlevania, but it doesn't diminish the appeal or fun of the original.  It's very similar to the situation with the original Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3.  They're both classic games.  I enjoy playing both again and again, but Super Mario Bros. 3 is an obvious improvement on everything that makes the original Super Mario Bros. such an enjoyable game.

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 10:39:56 AM »
Super CastleVania IV by far.  As much as I hold the original near and dear to my heart, the Super CastleVania IV just did everything right: perfect difficulty, detailed graphics and backgrounds, innovation (whip-swinging, multi-directional whipping, change direction of jump, jump on, etc.), and a masterful soundtrack.
...plus, it didn't take me four years to beat, like the original...damn you, Death, DAMN YOU!!
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 02:58:24 PM »
For those of you who are saying CV1 is easy...how many times did you play the game before you beat it?
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2007, 07:38:53 PM »
It really didn't take me that long, I'm just an awesome gamer.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 01:36:22 AM by The Last Belmont »

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 11:53:28 AM »
In Reply To #42

Shut up! (JK) And I'm getting Chronicles for Christmas, so that may be a problem for me.  :o

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2007, 11:55:59 AM »
In Reply To #42

Shut up! (JK) And I'm getting Chronicles for Christmas, so that may be a problem for me.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2007, 11:58:48 AM »
In Reply To #44

Oh dear. Well, I still plan to play both versions. :)

Tags: