Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848679 times)

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2100 on: June 05, 2012, 06:58:42 PM »
4 character still seems like way too many to me, especially considering they're all supposed to be Belmonts.

Well they ARE condensing over 20 years worth of Castlevania legacy into a rebooted trilogy, after all...
http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2101 on: June 05, 2012, 07:05:09 PM »
4 character still seems like way too many to me, especially considering they're all supposed to be Belmonts.

Maybe Rovert will play drastically different from Trevor, so much  that he's pretty much classified as a seperate character. Sounds like a cop out but this is Mercurysteam we're talkin about.

Who the fourth character could be is a mystery though since Trevor and Simon are the only known Belmonts so far and Gabriel isn't looking to make friends anytime soon.

Wait what if the thrid character is....nah Im not even gonna think about that.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #2102 on: June 05, 2012, 07:08:31 PM »
God Mask got taken with Marie when she ascended into the afterlife, if I remember correctly. I assume Gabe still has the Devil Mask since Zobek left it behind.

Mirror of Fate will just be another MacGuffin to use for one game, like the Obsidian & Crimson Stones in Lament. No purpose than to drive one game's plot.

However, if Marie could see into the future that Gabe was going to go all dark and broody evil and hid their son away because of it, don't you think she should have seen that she was...ya know...gonna die and kinda cause it all to happen in the first place? (or is that going to be hand-waved as "A Part of Her Fate" bullshit? I really hate those weak excuses for "deep plot".)
Speaking about the mask, I wonder if you'll get to whip it off of Dracula's face =)

I still surmise her death was all part of the plan so the Brotherhood could open up a line of communication with the founders.  Wouldn't Gabriel be pissed at them if he found THAT out.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:12:49 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #2103 on: June 05, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »
+1
I still surmise her death was all part of the plan so the Brotherhood could open up a line of communication with the founders.  Wouldn't Gabriel be pissed at them if he found THAT out.

Then he'd be perfectly within his right to be pissed and wrecking havok. I would too.

Shit, in the LoS2 trailer, when he's got hundreds of soldiers flooding onto the castle grounds, I really just equate his thrashing them to him proverbially shaking his old man fist and yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN!!"; also within his right.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2104 on: June 05, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »
Did you read what I said? I'm not talking about wall-scaling.

Here's a legitimate question: what would you do instead of an "escape from grapple" QTE?
The guy would take damage. Like... you know... arcade games. He does have a fucking life bar right? Drop this shit called QTE and just make him take the damage.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #2105 on: June 05, 2012, 07:37:45 PM »
we might be in for a heavy dose of Game Boy Castlevania homage.  with possible references to Gobanz from Adventure and Creature Bat and Executioner from Legends.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2106 on: June 05, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »
The guy would take damage. Like... you know... arcade games. He does have a fucking life bar right? Drop this shit called QTE and just make him take the damage.

And arcade games are generally known for being simplistic and basic. Probably because they're old.

There's something to be said for letting the player feel like they're more in control of their character. If you want to just deal insta-damage, have the bad guy smack him with his weapon or whatever he does, but the whole point of a grapple is that it's a contest. Taking out the QTE for the sake of taking out QTEs is pointless.

Besides, like I said before, situational button mashing has been in games long before it got dubbed "QTE" and nobody ever whined about it then.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2107 on: June 05, 2012, 07:52:18 PM »
And arcade games are generally known for being simplistic and basic. Probably because they're old.

There's something to be said for letting the player feel like they're more in control of their character. If you want to just deal insta-damage, have the bad guy smack him with his weapon or whatever he does, but the whole point of a grapple is that it's a contest. Taking out the QTE for the sake of taking out QTEs is pointless.

Besides, like I said before, situational button mashing has been in games long before it got dubbed "QTE" and nobody ever whined about it then.
I only care if a game is good, not old. Lots and lots of older mechanics are better than most of the things this shitty industry try to sell as good. I just like games where I control the game, rather than watch it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:53:54 PM by Maedhros »

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2108 on: June 05, 2012, 07:53:29 PM »

Basically they're using QTEs for sucky players as a way to bail them out of getting their asses kicked.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2109 on: June 05, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »
I only care if a game is good, not old. Lots and lots of older mechanics are better than most of the things this shitty industry try to sell as good. I just like games where I control the game, rather than watch it.

And a grab QTE gives you more control not less.

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2110 on: June 05, 2012, 08:01:51 PM »
Ok, first things first, just in case anyone hasn't seen it....

Castlevania Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate E3 2012 Trailer Short Version

I for one am now more excited for MoF than I am for LoS2. Can't remember who, but one or more CvD forum'ers nailed it with Maria having and their child w/o Gabriel's knowledge. Cool idea to have the "Mirror of Fate" be an artifact in which Marie sees what is to become of Gabriel, and thus does something to thwart it.

Now, for those anti-anything non-Iga non-old-cannon, Castlevania "super-fans".......

YES the fights are going to be similar to LoS, but from what I can see, not completely. I know that I wasn't the only poster who said that MS could easily make a 2D Cv by simply translating LoS's combat animations to 2D. Looks like MS liked the idea, or (most likely) had the same idea. Even so, I don't think every fight will be a long brawl, just the bigger enemies. Good times. If the only type of combat you will/can enjoy in a Cv game is what has come before, there's 20+ games for you to play and amuse yourself with.

YES there will be some context sensitive QTE's. Boo-freakin-hoo. Cry me a river :'(. As stated by e105beta, even SotN had the same thing, just in a different form. Not the end of the world. Please STFU about it already. If that one small tiny thing is enough to make you not get or to hate this game, then please turn in your Castlevania fan-club membership card, and replace it with a pacifier.

MAYBE the whip swinging is somewhat automatic, maybe not. Either way, the animation for it is a LOT smoother and better flowing than in LoS (one of my gripes about the game, way too stiff). I doubt it will be a maliable as in Cv4, but from what I saw in the vid, it looks great.

YES Trevor = Alucard. Not word yet on whether or not he will actually call himself that, but it's essentially the same idea. Son of Dracula. Some may hate the idea, others may think it a stroke of genius. At least now we know who one of thw two remaining playable characters will be. Whatever the case, case we at least agree that MS has done a great job at making the Belmonts motivated to be the ones who fight Dracula? Personally, I really like the idea of it being a family attempting to clean up their own mess.

YES there will be Titan fights. I'm with everyone here in that I REALLY hope that the "climbing" is platforming, and not wall-shimmying. Perhaps it will be both. I'd still enjoy the game, but it would be a sour point for me. :P
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #2111 on: June 05, 2012, 08:15:56 PM »
Ok, so....how does Marie have the kid in secret without Gabe knowing it? Does she fake a miscarriage? Hide it somehow?

These questions are the ones that need explanation for me to be any kind of onboard for anything. Don't handwave this shit, MercurySteam.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2112 on: June 05, 2012, 08:20:28 PM »
+2
And a grab QTE gives you more control not less.
You're fucking kidding me... how pressing a button is more control?

Taking damage directly makes you actually take care, to not get grabbed. Press button to win, press button to "X" is one of the worst game designs done recently.

Offline ZenTzen

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2113 on: June 05, 2012, 08:20:52 PM »
Ok, so....how does Marie have the kid in secret without Gabe knowing it? Does she fake a miscarriage? Hide it somehow?

These questions are the ones that need explanation for me to be any kind of onboard for anything. Don't handwave this shit, MercurySteam.
well, we can assume she didnt tell him she was pregnant and we can also assume he was sent away on a mission or several missions by the order that took a considerable long time or at least long enough for her to have a kid and hide him

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2114 on: June 05, 2012, 08:23:28 PM »
+1

Dracula's magic.

Hey, it's been our traditional go-to explanation for everything else in the series.

Tags: .....?