Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848873 times)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3720 on: August 21, 2012, 03:14:55 AM »
I will admit that I have some nostalgic love for a few of those games, and they're partially responsible for my love of awful movies. Mad Dog McRee was horrifically cheesy, but it was one of the earliest "light gun" games we had, meaning success wasn't just dependent on a button press, but aiming, too. Sewer Shark was pretty hysterical, and though I don't remember much about it Dracula Unleashed had its moments too. And there's the infamous Night Trap, the game whose violence and sexual content were vastly overestimated by many members of the American government at the time (first and foremost, Joe Lieberman).

These games tend to be funny in a "so bad it's good" way. But really, if something awesome is gonna occur in a cutscene, I'd much much rather just watch it happen.

I do think there are right ways to do the QTE kinds of finishers and moves, though. God Hand's were a lot of fun because failure didn't automatically mean death, and often your participation mean extra damage and speeding up Gene's moves to a ridiculous level. (What really helped in God Hand was a very stark delineation between QTEs and cutscenes; not once did the two of them mix together.) And Ninja Gaiden II, while not having QTEs per se, did make some pretty damned elaborate and gory dismemberment by pressing Y near a dying or downed enemy; not only were they quick and snappy, but they would change how you would have to look out for enemies, as often the ones you maim with will pounce on you and do some heavy damage with a suicide attack. And then there's Dead Space, which keeps any and all "escape grab" commands to one button, or the early Resident Evils, where mashing on all the buttons would do just as well to get out of a zombie's clutches.

I've calmed down a lot on the point of QTEs, but there really are better ways to perform certain commands in games. And thankfully, it seems like MoF has eschewed at least most of the combat-involved QTEs.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:19:34 AM by Munchy »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3721 on: August 21, 2012, 05:45:12 AM »
Many Sega CD games (those terrible live action FMV ones) are pretty much where QTEs came from; they are movies which you can "win" or "lose" based on when you time your button presses. No game developers would admit it, but QTEs are an extension of this idea.

Naw. QTE's stem back even further than that. Some arcade games used the same premise before the Sega CD ever existed.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3722 on: August 21, 2012, 07:05:35 AM »
+1
Because it assists in the immersion, trollolololol. You must feel Trevor's emotional turmoil as he struggles for trinkets and items.

Next thing you know they're going to make a game where all the enemies go down in one swipe and the real challenge comes from completing MGS torture scene difficulty QTEs to open boxes.

I call it...

Castlevania: Buttons of Effort: Box of Strife

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3723 on: August 21, 2012, 07:44:15 AM »
I will say this, one game that is awesome for having QTEs is Asura's Wrath.

I played the demo and I was like  :o

Naw. QTE's stem back even further than that. Some arcade games used the same premise before the Sega CD ever existed.

And for some reason I feel that Dragon's Lair did this. It only makes sense right?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:46:06 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3724 on: August 21, 2012, 09:36:49 AM »
Agreed. As I mentioned before it also doesn't help that the chests in GoW work pretty much exactly the same way. I apologize for the comparison, yet again, but I don't think any other game series has that particular quirk.
GoW is removing this on Ascencion. He just breaks the damn chest, like any manly man would.

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3725 on: August 21, 2012, 09:59:13 AM »
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate Nintendo 3DS gameplay

Don't know if this was posted but it's 12 minutes of gameplay with full audio...

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #3726 on: August 21, 2012, 10:16:44 AM »
That circle mark on the top screen on the 3ds I hate that  :-X
(click to show/hide)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3727 on: August 21, 2012, 10:19:26 AM »
That's the same demo from E3, with the same issues. I don't know why they keep showing that part of the demo where there is an extended demo with Simon and Nelocard they could have shown.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3728 on: August 21, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »
+1
That's the same demo from E3, with the same issues. I don't know why they keep showing that part of the demo where there is an extended demo with Simon and Nelocard they could have shown.

Such a tease MS are being.  :(

I mean all we get are a few screens that's it?

Granted the screens are not bad, but we want some vampire killer whip action right?
(click to show/hide)

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3729 on: August 21, 2012, 10:31:58 AM »
Such a tease MS are being.  :(

I mean all we get are a few screens that's it?

Granted the screens are not bad, but we want some vampire killer whip action right?

TGS is the last stop as far as big conventions go, they HAVE to show a new gameplay trailer with Simon and Nelocard especially since the game is coming out in January.

The longer they keep showcasing the beta demo, the more it's gonna put more people off from this game.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3730 on: August 21, 2012, 10:38:57 AM »
TGS is the last stop as far as big conventions go, they HAVE to show a new gameplay trailer with Simon and Nelocard especially since the game is coming out in January.

The longer they keep showcasing the beta demo, the more it's gonna put more people off from this game.

Yeah more people will be interested in Luigi's Mansion 2 than this in no time, oh wait.....  :-\

This game had a strong start,but now it's like we already know this MS we want the dang goods maybe an announcement of a 3ds special edition?

Also here's an other question if MoF got pushed back would it be crazy to say that los2 could be pushed back to '14?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3731 on: August 21, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »
If I had my way, I would delay MoF to fall 2013 to completely fix everything and push Lords of Shadow 2 to 2014.

But they said that fall 2013 is their target release date for Lords of Shadow 2. For now.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3732 on: August 21, 2012, 01:25:58 PM »
I gotta feeling this MoF is gonna be very underwhelming.

Oh well. I was looking forward to LoS2 more anyway.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3733 on: August 21, 2012, 01:40:48 PM »
+1
Next thing you know they're going to make a game where all the enemies go down in one swipe and the real challenge comes from completing MGS torture scene difficulty QTEs to open boxes.

I call it...

Castlevania: Buttons of Effort: Box of Strife

That made me lol. :)

I will say this, one game that is awesome for having QTEs is Asura's Wrath.

I played the demo and I was like  :o

I seem to remember that game not doing so well, financially or in reviews. But then again I've never played it.

GoW is removing this on Ascencion. He just breaks the damn chest, like any manly man would.

I don't think I entirely like that. If it were me in charge what I'd do is make 2 types of chest. Regular manly-breakable ones for wide-spread use in stages, and chained 'haha you suck' pansy button mashing chests that are prevalent during boss battles. I kinda like the tension the GoW chests created during certain situations, plus they're pretty unique to the series.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:49:20 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3734 on: August 21, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »

Which ones? I know that a good amount of Sega CD's FMV games were ports of those crazy arcade games that came on LaserDiscs or something.

Tags: .....? 

anything