Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848477 times)

Offline sannyclause

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #4290 on: January 10, 2013, 07:27:44 AM »
...So I just saw the Lords of Shadow movie the other day. Oh wait, that was The Hobbit. My mistake. All the Orc faces and trolls threw me off.
HO HO HO if you were trying to be funny you failed miserably :/

HO HO HO if you were trying to be funny you failed miserably  :-\
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:45:15 AM by sannyclause »

Offline demon king 92

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4291 on: January 10, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »
+1
HO HO HO if you were trying to be funny you failed miserably  :-\

keep your jammies on st. nick, its just his/her opinion

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #4292 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »
+1
It still wasn't funny. the LoS/LotR Joke always has, and always will, just fall flat. It's not funny, because it just doesnt hold up as well as  people who dislike LoS seem to think.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline JoshuaKadmon

• Hunter in Training
  • Castlevania Collector since 1987
    • Joshua's Facebook Profile
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4293 on: January 10, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
After replaying LoS over the last several nights, I've revised my opinion of the game a bit.  At first, I was bothered by the non-canon story reset, the prevalance of goblins and trolls, the negation of Mathias/Vlad/Dracula as we know him, the idea of the Belmonts potentially being corrupted, the GoW combat controls, the linearity of the whole thing, and the general mainstream nature of the game's design.

Now, I tend to look at it as a "what if..." that occurred before Leon or Mathias were even born, an examination of what would have happened if the Belmonts had been consumed by the darkness instead of warring against it endlessly.  A few of the same things still bother me, but I actually really enjoy the game's structure.  It pays tribute to the construct of classic linear CVs like Super IV and maintains similar aesthetics in a next-gen style, but it also allows re-exploration of previous levels to cover a bit of that Metroidvania open-worldness that hardcore fans crave.  Branching levels and upgradeable skills add some depth to the experience, and the ability to swing around and rapel using the whip hasn't been done well since SCIV anyway.  The storytelling isn't bad either.

Overall, I'm not sure that LoS is the direction I'd choose for the future of the series, but taken as a 3-episode "what if...", it's a pretty good entry.  Still, what I want to see most is an anthology or two to consolidate the series before moving forward, and maybe we'll get that from Konami once MercurySteam is done with their contributions.
Sign to support the Castlevania Anthologies petition:

www.change.org/petitions/castlevania-anthologies

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #4294 on: January 10, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »
+1
...So I just saw the Lords of Shadow movie the other day. Oh wait, that was The Hobbit. My mistake. All the Orc faces and trolls threw me off. ;)
When I was watching The Hobbit, I couldn't help but think "dang, I feel like playing some Lords of Shadow".  I like to think of LoS as enhancing the Castlevania franchise with LotR elements, not replacing it with them. 

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4295 on: January 11, 2013, 11:11:37 AM »
When I was watching The Hobbit, I couldn't help but think "dang, I feel like playing some Lords of Shadow".  I like to think of LoS as enhancing the Castlevania franchise with LotR elements, not replacing it with them.

You sir just made some enemies...........just kidding. I saw Hobbit and not once has the thought of LoS crossed my mind. Goblins, trolls and other monsters, are bind by evil and i don't see a reason, why they shouldn't be there. What i don't like is their designs, they look like a rip off from Lotr. Older castlevania games have trolls, but with different designs and since they are minions of Dracula, i believe that they should have a twisted shape. That would be because they have been corrupted by evil. Just my opinion about them. I hope that Mercury will redeem their self for that, with the two new games.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #4296 on: January 11, 2013, 12:39:31 PM »
I don't recall any trolls in any of the old games. To what games do you refer?
"Stuff and things."

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4297 on: January 11, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »
I don't recall any trolls in any of the old games. To what games do you refer?

What about the cave trolls? :rollseyes:
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4298 on: January 11, 2013, 01:08:28 PM »
That's the US name for Chupacabra. I don't count that at all. Plus maybe it's my age, but I don't think of SotN when I think of *old* CV.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4299 on: January 11, 2013, 01:13:46 PM »
That's the US name for Chupacabra. I don't count that at all. Plus maybe it's my age, but I don't think of SotN when I think of *old* CV.

Well, SotN, might not be a classic Castlevania, but still it's an old Castlevania game and that doesn't change the fact that i like a more dark approach for these enemies than the generic, since we are talking about the Castlevania universe and the absolute evil and not a fairy\fantasy game.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4300 on: January 11, 2013, 02:25:56 PM »
+1

Well, SotN, might not be a classic Castlevania, but still it's an old Castlevania game and that doesn't change the fact that i like a more dark approach for these enemies than the generic, since we are talking about the Castlevania universe and the absolute evil and not a fairy\fantasy game.
For me, considering CV was birthed in horror movie pop culture, classic horror themed enemies would always be much more preferred for the series than classic medieval fantasy themed enemies(or even Tolkien/D&D themed enemies). I wouldn't be thrilled in sing Mind Flayers or Displacer Beasts in CV games either.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4301 on: January 12, 2013, 02:44:12 AM »
For me, considering CV was birthed in horror movie pop culture, classic horror themed enemies would always be much more preferred for the series than classic medieval fantasy themed enemies(or even Tolkien/D&D themed enemies). I wouldn't be thrilled in sing Mind Flayers or Displacer Beasts in CV games either.

I think the same way as you, but since the leading team has decided to go with that kind of monsters, at least they should take the effort and make them a more fitting design for the series.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #4302 on: January 12, 2013, 07:37:42 AM »

Oh, I agree. I'm with DragonSlayr, too. The classic horror pop culture flavor should a big part of any CV game.

As for my thing with SotN I guess I consider it as part of a different era than the *old* games. For me the old CV is synonymous with Classicvania. Although I guess Adventure ReBirth isn't exactly old like the rest of the Classicvanias.
"Stuff and things."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #4303 on: January 12, 2013, 08:24:10 AM »
+1
I will forever hate myself for coining 'classicvania'. It was meant to make fun of people trying to separate the newer games from the older ones, except questvania (for cvII) and megavania (for belmont's revenge) never caught on.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4304 on: January 12, 2013, 10:41:56 AM »
I will forever hate myself for coining 'classicvania'
I think it's an awesome term. And besides, series already have very distinct border between old games and the new ones, so it would have been named somehow anyway.

Tags: .....? 

anything