Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1849021 times)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #5295 on: March 10, 2013, 09:47:06 PM »
+1
I'd rather have it where, every director and producer that mentions how their "reboot" will take cues from Nolan's Batman, or be a more "grounded", "gritty" or "realistic" version than the original, howabout we take a shot.... AT THEM. Seriously, I'm getting sick and tired of these asshats and their hardons for this trend. I was at Bloody Disgusting, clicked on the article for the new Godzilla reboot, and what did the director and producers say about it, top of the article? "We are going for a more grounded and realistic take....".... on a giant radioactive dinosaur that shoots radioactive rays from it's mouth.... and fights giant mutants and aliens from space....

Seriously, I think modern society's gotta get that stick out of their ass. Just reach in there and pull it out, that "Everything has to be dark, gritty and grounded" stick. You'll have SOOOOO much more fun without that limitation. SOOOOOO much more fun!

Last time they went for a more "gritty and realistic" Godzilla they ended up with something that was neither gritty, nor realistic, nor good.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5296 on: March 10, 2013, 10:04:03 PM »
+1
okay so what happened I have be doing statistics math work all day and now I need to study for political science so, lay it on me.

The new Castlevania game is out and now we're either playing the game or having the usual "This vs That" debates to pass the time until media on LOS2 is out. (So far it dry out there but I'll be the first to bring any info.)

But for real, why can't we all just get along? :(

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5297 on: March 10, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »
The new Castlevania game is out and now we're either playing the game or having the usual "This vs That" debates to pass the time until media on LOS2 is out. (So far it dry out there but I'll be the first to bring any info.)

But for real, why can't we all just get along? :(

I know mof is out, I've been here talking about it, infact, I completed Mof aday ago trying to get 100% cutscene  :) , it's the more "this and that" conversations I have been wondering about, as for never get along it is because we all have such different views, so in the end we have to tolerate each other.

What are you exactly trying to say? Your first paragraph(or wall of text), you defend Aroujo's LoS/MoF songs, jab at how you believe the reason people find his music boring is because they only hear the battle music and don't take their time to bask in the ambience(though, personal taste and opinion, his ambience isn't doing it for me either), then jab at the IGA/Classic CV music.

Second paragraph, you make the point that CV needs to change, then you say it can only change SO MUCH because you are limited with what you can do with vampires(and give the example that a Twiligh-vania could be a possible avenue), THEN you say LoS, at the least, expanded the territories. It's like you're bouncing around with examples, I just don't know what you're trying to get across.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:46:11 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #5298 on: March 10, 2013, 10:49:36 PM »
I was born in 1985. Been playing Castlevania since Castlevania started. I'm an IGA fan, and I love what he brought to the series. I also like LoS, but not as much as the past games, both classic & "igavania" alike. I also wouldn't mind to see him return to the series in some form, be it advisor or producer.

The "metroidvania" style doesn't even belong to the Metroid series anymore. When was the last time Nintendo released a proper 2D side-scrolling Metroid? The "style" now belongs to Castlevania, not Metroid.

Should we call every top-down adventure game that bares resemblance to the original Zelda "Zelda-clones?"
I'm OK with the MetroidVania term. It's been years now since it became the word to describe what I love the most in the world (about my hobbies, of course).
But yeah, it's kinda lame. Then they should call every 3D action game God of War-something.

What are you exactly trying to say? Your first paragraph(or wall of text), you defend Aroujo's LoS/MoF songs, jab at how you believe the reason people find his music boring is because they only hear the battle music and don't take their time to bask in the ambience(though, personal taste and opinion, his ambience isn't doing it for me either), then jab at the IGA/Classic CV music.

Second paragraph, you make the point that CV needs to change, then you say it can only change SO MUCH because you are limited with what you can do with vampires(and give the example that a Twiligh-vania could be a possible avenue), THEN you say LoS, at the least, expanded the territories. It's like you're bouncing around with examples, I just don't know what you're trying to get across.
Yeah, doesn't work for me either. The action music gets on my nerves, it's just irritating to hear it. And as for the ambience music... I find it plain boring.
A good action music example is "No Regrets", from Soul Calibur 2 for the PS2.
And good ambience music can be found in Legacy of Darkness.

I'd rather have it where, every director and producer that mentions how their "reboot" will take cues from Nolan's Batman, or be a more "grounded", "gritty" or "realistic" version than the original, howabout we take a shot.... AT THEM. Seriously, I'm getting sick and tired of these asshats and their hardons for this trend. I was at Bloody Disgusting, clicked on the article for the new Godzilla reboot, and what did the director and producers say about it, top of the article? "We are going for a more grounded and realistic take....".... on a giant radioactive dinosaur that shoots radioactive rays from it's mouth.... and fights giant mutants and aliens from space....

Seriously, I think modern society's gotta get that stick out of their ass. Just reach in there and pull it out, that "Everything has to be dark, gritty and grounded" stick. You'll have SOOOOO much more fun without that limitation. SOOOOOO much more fun!
This is something I agree SO MUCH!
I'm sick of everything being rebooted these days.
And yes, of course it's always dark, realistic and serious...

Did any Nintendo fan ever complain because Mario is light, colorful and childish?
Did Nintendo ever attempted to create a more dark, realistic and serious Mario game?

Just imagine...
http://returntofleet.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/mario-mike-meth.jpg?w=490&h=545

Then, why does every single thing has to be rebooted?!
I just don't get it. I only hope that this stupid reboot hype ends once and for all, so then many things can return to what they always were.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5299 on: March 10, 2013, 11:42:38 PM »
because some series just have too much continuity to follow, and end up becoming very niche, with lots of people not going for them because it's just daunting to get into a series where you have to play a dozen other games to get the full story. And the CV timeline had gotten pretty long and convoluted over the years, with lots of plot and shit. So they figured they'd try and reboot it. Of course, mind you, a Reboot seems to have been decided on some time in development, when it changed from being a "CV1 remake" Into Lords of Shadow, as an original IP because Konami didn't want to upstage Judgement, which was supposed to be their big CV game of the show.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #5300 on: March 11, 2013, 12:00:02 AM »
I understand that, but it should be so simple...
Just put a Belmont or another hero, who needs to destroy Dracula or some other villain because of whatever reason; then just throw the hero in the castle and its surroundings, put in some new tunes in the vein of CV characteristic music and put some bosses at the end of each stage; in one of the last levels you put Death as a boss, then you arrive to the stairs and fight Dracula or whoever it is... add just a few words when the game begins and another few words when it ends (as in Bloodlines, for example). As that's it.
We don't need more than that. And we don't even need ALL that.
They can release a game like Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth every year and that would be more than enough for me and a lot of fans.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5301 on: March 11, 2013, 12:04:45 AM »
Abot the reboot craze:

People have ran out of idea creativity wise. Look at the upcoming movie releases from here to 2014, sequel's, reboots, fairy tail reimaginings and reboots of recent blockbusters  that are already in the works(A Twilight prequel? really?). No one wants to venture out and do something new because it's a sure thing. Prometheus for example is a horrifyingly god awful movie with absolutely nothing in common with the Alien series, if it were a standalone movie would it still have been horrible? Yes but nobody would have gave a fuck about it if it hadn't been for Ridley Scott's involvement (who by the way hasn't made a decent movie since the early 80's) and it's "Connection to the Alien franchise."

The games industry is just as worse. The mainstream games industry is either obessed with sequel's, or obessed with reboot's, they're so many examples that I just can't pick just one. Developers are so fascinated with unnecessary reboot's (Tomb Raider, Syndicate, Prince of Persia, Xcom) that they don't focus on franchises that are legit in need of a reboot (Final Fantasy, God of War).

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:06:19 AM by Kingshango »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5302 on: March 11, 2013, 12:19:57 AM »
I understand that, but it should be so simple...
Just put a Belmont or another hero, who needs to destroy Dracula or some other villain because of whatever reason; then just throw the hero in the castle and its surroundings, put in some new tunes in the vein of CV characteristic music and put some bosses at the end of each stage; in one of the last levels you put Death as a boss, then you arrive to the stairs and fight Dracula or whoever it is... add just a few words when the game begins and another few words when it ends (as in Bloodlines, for example). As that's it.
We don't need more than that. And we don't even need ALL that.
They can release a game like Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth every year and that would be more than enough for me and a lot of fans.

You're talking as a CV fan. Of course that would be enough for you or me.

The point however, was to appeal to a wider audience though. To build up the CV fanbase some more with a game that might appeal to more people. Once you've got a guy hooked on LoS, then if they are a smart gamer, they might look stuff up here or there, find there are other CV games, and maybe start getting into the series as a whole.

Also, while staying true to the cliches and staples of the franchise is nice, there's also something to be said for a bit of originality. Not to mention, they didn't want to start off right in the middle of Belmont vs Dracula, and decided, to go straight for a prequel, and make it different from the old timeline's origins.

Again. CV was in a not so great place before LoS. It was dying, and desperately needed some fresh blood. it also needed to build the Castlevania name back up in the mainstream Gaming world. Where once Castlevania was one of the top kingpins of Gaming, it was pretty forgotten by now, with only the fanbase really buying into the franchise, and ever since SoTN, have been relegated to handhelds, with all attempts at bringing the series to 3D on home console failing. So it needed that too.

they don't focus on franchises that are legit in need of a reboot (Final Fantasy, God of War).
Final Fantasy doesn't quite need a Reboot in the sense that each game tends to have an original story that has nothing to do with the previous, (of course with an exception or two) but they may need to reboot their numbering system. Although it is a sign of prosperity that it has survived that long, so the numbering isn't necessarily that bad. How does GoW need a reboot? There's 3 console games, with 2 handhelds, and one prequel on the way. 9and a phone game, but those don't count) and IMO, I'd rather let GoW expire peacefully. Now something like Mega Man, could use a reboot. Holy shit if people thought the CV storyline was long and drawn out...

On Tombraider... Well the series, like CV, has been around for a while, and well, sometimes devs really just want to start fresh and tell a new version of the story. It IS a fad, but it's not so bad when done right.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:27:22 AM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #5303 on: March 11, 2013, 12:24:48 AM »
+1
Again. CV was in a not so great place before LoS. It was dying, and desperately needed some fresh blood. it also needed to build the Castlevania name back up in the mainstream Gaming world. Where once Castlevania was one of the top kingpins of Gaming, it was pretty forgotten by now, with only the fanbase really buying into the franchise, and ever since SoTN, have been relegated to handhelds, with all attempts at bringing the series to 3D on home console failing. So it needed that too.
I totally agree here. I think MS really saved Castlevania.

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5304 on: March 11, 2013, 12:49:25 AM »
How does GoW need a reboot?

God of War Ascension is a pretty telling sign that the series either needs to take a long rest or reboot the series. The fatigue has kicked in, Kratos has worn out his welcome, the greek mythology setting has gotten old, the combat has not changed at all (if anything, it's gotten worse over time) and the shock value of the kill's, (which is the main draw of the series in the first place) have gotten old to a point where stomping a mudhole into a woman's face then impailing her is considered on of the most brutal things he's done in the series when it's actually the tamest.

God of War needs a new setting, a new (anti) hero with a new objective, new more refined combat system and a controllable camera would be nice as well. If SSM can't do it then put the series to bed for a while and work on something new but since this is Sony, they're probably gonna force them to milk Kratos till all the ashes have fallen off of him.

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5305 on: March 11, 2013, 02:19:04 AM »
+1
GoW should of ended at 3 IMO.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5306 on: March 11, 2013, 03:04:41 AM »
Regarding reboots of all versions (movies, games, etc.):
Sheeple are easily lured by new things and sadly in this case, the dark and gritty. Studios and developers are milking the dark and gritty reboots for all its worth since sheeple do not think for themselves and just accept what is given to them, praising whatever new dark and gritty thing that comes along since it is a trend.
So studios/developers might be called lazy, but if sheeple like those rehashes, let it be, after all, money talks.

oh by the way, i don't know if this has been posted yet.
The 1up review: http://www.1up.com/reviews/review-shambling-mirror-fate-signals
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:09:42 AM by Shiroi Koumori »

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5307 on: March 11, 2013, 08:42:51 AM »
+1
Abot the reboot craze:

People have ran out of idea creativity wise. Look at the upcoming movie releases from here to 2014, sequel's, reboots, fairy tail reimaginings and reboots of recent blockbusters  that are already in the works(A Twilight prequel? really?). No one wants to venture out and do something new because it's a sure thing. Prometheus for example is a horrifyingly god awful movie with absolutely nothing in common with the Alien series, if it were a standalone movie would it still have been horrible? Yes but nobody would have gave a fuck about it if it hadn't been for Ridley Scott's involvement (who by the way hasn't made a decent movie since the early 80's) and it's "Connection to the Alien franchise."

The games industry is just as worse. The mainstream games industry is either obessed with sequel's, or obessed with reboot's, they're so many examples that I just can't pick just one. Developers are so fascinated with unnecessary reboot's (Tomb Raider, Syndicate, Prince of Persia, Xcom) that they don't focus on franchises that are legit in need of a reboot (Final Fantasy, God of War).
I actually don't believe people have run out of ideas more than the big companies(the Fat Cat executives, mainly) fear the gamble of releasing new IPs/ideas. They feel it's so much more a "sure thing" if you release a reboot of an already established franchise, because just on name alone, people will be interested in it. Of course, that's not always correct either, it's just the little thing they tell themselves. Look at how many reboot attempts have lead to failure or the "killing" of a certain franchise(especially in the movie industry, so many attempts to bring back classic franchises that totally bomb and, finito, those entire franchises will probably NEVER be touched again until the irk of those horrible reboots are forgotten....... A NIGHTMARE ON FUCKIN ELM STREET..... WHYYYYYY?![LOL, I'm a bit Freddy nut, and hate how he's been tossed into obvlivion by Platinum GOONS]). There's also great examples, in the recent decade or so, of original IPs hitting big(God of War, Gears of War, Encharted, Assassin's Creed...), so it IS possible to have a new idea and that new idea, when released, COULD resonate into something ridiculously big.

That IS how progression is made, with the new ideas. I think I've said this months ago, trends are usually started by a "new idea" that makes people notice how it's different from that which came before it, then everybody jumps on the trend and the "posers" try to capitalize on that trend and milk it for what it's worth, until people grow tired and notice a a new "new idea", and the cycle continues. But, usually for the patriarch of the trend(the trend setter), that new venture in doing something different from the previous trend clicks to such a degree that it pays off, and in full. Remember, Mario, LoZ, even Castlevania, were at one time, original ideas. Ideas that developers gave a chance on, and look were we are at right now. I think, to really progress and test the bounderies of what you CAN do with gaming, you need people not afraid of failure, and people who are willing to toss out those new IPs to see of they stick. But, we've become such a soft-shelled society in the last decade. You can see that not only with the companies, but with their audiences. And yeah, people rally for change, but are also afraid of rocking the boat. It's like, "Yeah, sure, I'd love to live in a country without a dictator's rule and be FREE, but.... I better just go along, because I don't want to get him mad, and so far, following his rule... life is.... alright, I guess?". Hate to sound cheesy, but it's like the whole, "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.", but stagnation occurs when people are afraid to release new ideas that would keep the flow of progression going. Some people might ask, "Why don't you just leave well enough alone?", but what do you do when "well enough" is NOT well enough?

And yes, guafarafafa, I contribute to the "Block o' Text" thing.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:52:47 AM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #5308 on: March 11, 2013, 08:42:57 AM »
The God of War story DID end at 3, it just left an ambiguous epilogue (Kratos body is missing, but the emblem where it layed was that of a phoenix, hinting at some sort of "rebirth," imo)

But no matter what anyone says Ascension isn't a "cheap cash-in," as I'm sure they'll make all their money back & a hell of a lot more cuz GoW sells out the ass. I don't think the combat is stale, cuz as the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's fun, responsive, and brutal as it should be. But I sincerely believe that this will be the last game of this era, perhaps the epilogue will hint as to what happened to his body at the end of 3, then the next "spiritual successor" series will feature a new story, a new "Kratos" debuting on PS4, and that game will inevitably blow everyone away, again!

and about the reboot craze, I think it started with Batman Begins, lol

the greek mythology setting has gotten old
lol this a funny saying, of course it's old it's over 1000 years

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #5309 on: March 11, 2013, 11:08:52 AM »
+1
Did Nintendo ever attempted to create a more dark, realistic and serious Mario game?

Just imagine...

No need for imagination here...

Super Mario Brothers Trailer
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: .....? 

anything