Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848585 times)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #5385 on: March 15, 2013, 10:06:27 AM »
So, how do you guys think this game compares to the previous 2d games?
It feels like a whole new genre of 2D Castlevania to me.

I still think it's a way better game than LoS.

I'm not surprised the game potentially did bomb in sales, the M rating and drastic change from IGAVanias probably had a lot to do with it. Not to mention LoS leaving a bad taste in people's mouths.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5386 on: March 15, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »
Better than LoS? I dunno... atmospherically maybe.

curious. can you return to previous acts? hows that work? if you want to go back to a simon level, can you, as simon?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5387 on: March 15, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »
Better than LoS? I dunno... atmospherically maybe.

curious. can you return to previous acts? hows that work? if you want to go back to a simon level, can you, as simon?

Atmosphere, is a really big+, compared to the LoS and yes, you can choose previous acts and replay them, so that you can achieve 100% with both characters, so that you can see the secret ending......
Ruler of Chaos

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5388 on: March 15, 2013, 06:28:33 PM »
Its metascore is currently sitting at 72, behind only Judgment and the PS2 version of Cure of Darkness (47 and and 70 respectively). 

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #5389 on: March 15, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »
Its metascore is currently sitting at 72, behind only Judgment and the PS2 version of Cure of Darkness (47 and and 70 respectively).
Well that's deserving (Yay Judgment!). It bounced a lot, as it was in the 60's. Hope it goes to 75 at least. BTW how is Harmony of Despair?

Everything comes full circle

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #5390 on: March 15, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »
Well that's deserving (Yay Judgment!). It bounced a lot, as it was in the 60's. Hope it goes to 75 at least. BTW how is Harmony of Despair?

67% for Xbox, 68% for PS3

Offline Tanatra

• Everything Burns
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #5391 on: March 15, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »
I bought a PS2 for LoI and the ability to play SotN (good purchase.)

I bought a GBA for AoS (good purchase.)

I bought a DS for PoR (bad purchase, but fortunately the DS' other games/features redeemed itself.)

I bought a PS3 for LoS (good purchase, though I was underwhelmed with LoS for reasons discussed ad nauseum here. eventually had to give away the system to cover a month's rent.)

After exercising the ability to make researched, informed purchases with MoF, I've concluded that I will NOT be buying a 3DS so that I can play this game. Gameplay looks like a 2D LoS and is probably fun, and CV was never known for its strong plots and story-telling (the N64 games are the best in that regard, IMO.) But sweet baby Jesus, the trite, stilted cinema scenes and laughably predictable plot twists I've seen on YouTube might as well have been in a fan-fiction, they were so cringe-worthy. Though in a way, isn't that what the LoS mini-series was/is all along? Just an officially-sanctioned fan fiction? For all its flaws, I at least found the story of LoS to be engaging, and it even had a decent share of quote-worthy lines - I absolutely loved the pre-Satan battle cinema.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #5392 on: March 15, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »
+1
I bought a PS1 without knowing SotN existed, but that day I saw it on the shelve and bought it, and my life was never the same from that day on.
CV defined me in every possible way.
I bought a PS2 for Radiata Stories, Dragon Quest VIII and the 2 Castlevanias. Good choice. This was later the console I enjoyed the most in my life.
I bought a NDS for the 3 GBA CVs and the first 2 NDS CVs. The best I did in my entire gamer life. Then OoE arrived.
I bought a PS3 for another games, but LoS was the first game I played.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5393 on: March 15, 2013, 11:20:27 PM »
I borrowed my uncle's ps1 to play SOTN. (got a 2nd hand japanese psone)
I bought a GBA for pokemon but AoS was awesome!
I was given a PS2 and played lots of other games, then got the 2 vanias but didn't get to play CoD.
I bought a NDS for all the 3 GBA CVs and all the 3 DS CVs. Best purchase ever!
I bought a PSP just because it had the bundle at a discounted price (I miss japan...) And was glad I did when the DxC was released!
I bought a 3DS for the MoF, now looking for other games to play on that. Still waiting for Rune Factory 4.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:21:53 AM by Shiroi Koumori »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5394 on: March 16, 2013, 12:07:57 AM »
I got a Genesis and Bloodlines was my first Castlevania and loved every bit of it.
I got an SNES and borrowed Super Castlevania from my brothers friend back in 95 (to this day I never gave it back.)
I got back into Castlevania with COTM and a GBA as a Christmas gift and fell in love with the series once again.
I bought a DS just for Dawn of Sorrow (amongst other games) with my first paycheck.
I played SOTN years later for the first time on the PS1 to see what the fuss was about. I thought it was great, vastly overrated but great.
Played Lords of Shadow on my 360 and liked it despite it's flaws.
I fully intend on getting MoF as well as a 3DS once I get the money.
Im going to build a monstrosity of a PC to play Lords of Shadow 2.
I will eventually track down and play the early 3D Castlevania's.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5395 on: March 16, 2013, 12:34:59 AM »
Let's see my turn

My bro had a nes and once dracula's curse turned on, my destiny began.

CV 64  gave me a scare with the chainsaw man so much that I really did not get back into the series untill portrait of ruin when I got back into high school.

While my brother did have circle of the moon the battery died so that never saw it's end.

After portrait. I got scIV for the wii.

Afterwards I got simon quest along with dracula's curse for the fc twin which later got destroyed by my faxanadu cart.

I later bought the SQ and DC for the wii because well SQ never really saved my password I wonder why and DC does not work on a FC twin or a retro-bit.

Then I proceeded to get the gba and ds titles, and even judgment.

I bought a 360 all over again to play HoD when I had the gut feeling that there would be a ps3 version of course I do not follow my gut and it bites me right in the butt  .-_-'.

After all of this I bought a retro duo to also play my snes games, at this time I bought SCIV boxed with everything for only five dollars prior to this(when my fc twin was still working the nes part is done but the snes is a okay).

I bought a genesis just for bloodlines and I have not regeted it since.

I saved up to buy los and it is my second favorite 3d cv game behind cv LoD

I bugged my pops in ninth grade to get me castlevania the adventure and for the time being I thought alright.

I preordered mof and in the end I think it's okay...

I preordered DXC before I even had a psp my friend lent his to me dude eff uped my ds.

I did buy the orginal SOTN for collection and I prefer it to the psp due to it being on a larger screen, and even if I do I psp cables to an hd tv my mom says I cannot play games on there  :P

My first time playing the first cv was on the gba classics version.

And I'm done I got lazy toward the end I wanted to put it in order but...

I bought CoD just to play as Trevor.
I do not own LoI yet I just kind use my brothers.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:38:14 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5396 on: March 16, 2013, 01:03:25 AM »
Storytime? :D

I saw AoS in best buy once, the art really stood out and struck me. Years later, I emulated AoS, got me into Castlevania.

I emulated SoTN.

I emulated CV1

I emulated CV2 (with the patch that makes it make sense)

I emulated CV3

I emulated Rondo

I emulated Bloodlines

I saw LoI at my friend's place, decided to buy it

saw DoS used, bought it.

Got hyped for LoS, bought it

bought SoTN on Xbox

semi-hyped for MoF, but Legends 3 got cancelled, so I didn't buy a 3DS. Watched a playthrough on youtube.

kinda hyped for LoS2, gon' get that shit.

I would prolly get AoS on cartridge if I could find it. Love that game.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5397 on: March 16, 2013, 01:13:30 AM »
I would prolly get AoS on cartridge if I could find it. Love that game.

Get it. I loved the game and have both the Japanese and English versions (though the English version's battery at this point is dead, so farewell 100.2%)

I did buy the orginal SOTN for collection

I have the first ed Jap SOTN. I'm still waiting for my US black disc edition.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #5398 on: March 16, 2013, 09:05:54 AM »
I first played the japanese Dracula X on my SNES.

Years later I played SOTN in my PSX and discovered that my memory isn't wrong and I really saw that "blue guy" before.

Found a CV fansite and discovered Rondo of Blood, started downloading it. I've heard about Jorge D. Fuentes and thought its a brazilian guy, since they have a fangame made by him in this BR site.

Emulated CV1, CV2, CV3, SCV4, Dracula X, Bloodlines and Legends.

Played Rondo of Blood via emulation.

Emulated Adventure, Belmont Revenge, 64 and LoD. (emulated 64 in a kind of Cyber Café... without café)

Played CV Chronicles in my PSX.

Emulated Haunted Castle and Vampire Killer.

Then they launched Aria of Sorrow and a good emulator that worked in my PC has been launched and I played AoS, HoD and CotM.

Found some Geoffrey Gunn and Jorge musics in a site and then discovered that Jorge isn't brazilian lol

Discovered LoI and CoD and played on my PS2.

Found this forum butdidn't joined and forgot about it, since I didn't understood english very well at this time.

Played Kid Dracula GB and NES on emulator.

Emulated DoS, PoR and OoE.

Played DXC on a PSP of my father's friend.

Saw a Judgement trailer and decided to buy a Wii. I dont have regrets about that.

Saw TGS trailer with Alucard.

Helped Serio as a bug tester, being the first person to post in his old board. But I still doubt that I will receive credits for that. Discovered that these portraits are Jorge's art and that these two have some "disagreements". At the same time I discovered Esco's project and that Esco knew Serio and appeared sometimes on the board to say hello to us.

Saw LoS trailer and thought "Wow!" only to be disapointed when I played the actual game in a friend's house.

Where is the Alucard game mentioned in TGS?

Heard the Radio Drama with the help of subtitles.

Joined the forum.

Same thing about MoF, only that this time I didn't played it but watched the gameplays.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:15:40 AM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5399 on: March 16, 2013, 11:18:37 AM »
+2
Love the stories guys! Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

My first experience with Castlevania was when I was 5 years old. We had gotten a NES a couples years before that but I was just then learning how to actually play. My mom took me to the video store and I saw a game with a barbarian looking character and Dracula's face in the sky above him. I loved Dracula because I used to watch the black and white film with Bela Lugosi (I loved monsters). I saw the artwork for the game and begged my mom to rent it for me!

I took it home and instantly fell in love with the game. It was Castelvania 1 for the NES. My older brother helped me learn how to play and I would run around the house humming the music from the game. I remember crying when we had to return it. I think I made my mom rent it for me about 6 times before I finally got my own copy of the game for my birthday later that year in 1989. Great memories. After that we got Simon's Quest (but I mostly had to watch my brother play because I didn't understand the exploration aspects of that game until I was a little older). From then on I've gotten every new Castlevania game within a few weeks of their release. I remember how awesome it was getting Castlevania 3 when it came out. I took it to my daycare center because they had a nintendo console but they wouldn't let me play it because they said it was too violent. Hahaha.

Castlevania games have pretty much determined what consoles I buy. I wouldn't have got a genesis if not for Bloodlines, and certainly not a Turbo Duo if not for Rondo. Now I have a 3DS just for Mirror of Fate. Damn I wish this game would have been on the Vita. The graphics are just plain ugly up close. I just picked up Dead or Alive 5 + for the vita yesterday and it looks incredible. The 3DS just doesn't seem like the right platform for a game like this.

Castlevania has been a way of life for me for almost as far back as I can remember!

I remember how difficult it was to get a copy of Rondo of Blood for the Turbo Duo...
The worst monsters are human.

Tags: .....?