Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Technology used to regrow a man's finger  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« on: September 17, 2013, 04:47:48 PM »
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/09/16/s-fl-doctor-uses-new-technology-to-re-grow-mans-finger/

Seriously they are coming closer and closer in technology to solve a lot of problems with people who have no limbs or their limbs don't work.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Technology used to regrow a man's finger
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:42:38 PM »
Doesnt seems legit to me.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:05:17 PM »
Who cares about fingers what about my hair?

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:15:38 AM »
Who cares about fingers what about my hair?

hehehe. Just tell people that bald is in.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 05:16:27 AM »
The title is misleading. They didn't "regrow" the man's finger, they merely attached it back when it was in a bad condition.

Attaching back a recently-severed limb is possible, because the body can identify it and "reconnect" it to the body. It can be done even with foreign body parts; This is what allows transplants.
But growing a body part back like a lizard is still not possible (yet). Adult human cells simply don't have the capability to do it. Perhaps stem-cell research could provide solutions to that problem, since as you know embryonic cells have certain characteristics required for human development that adult cells do not. 
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 06:00:06 AM »
The title is misleading. They didn't "regrow" the man's finger, they merely attached it back when it was in a bad condition.

Attaching back a recently-severed limb is possible, because the body can identify it and "reconnect" it to the body. It can be done even with foreign body parts; This is what allows transplants.
But growing a body part back like a lizard is still not possible (yet). Adult human cells simply don't have the capability to do it. Perhaps stem-cell research could provide solutions to that problem, since as you know embryonic cells have certain characteristics required for human development that adult cells do not.

True, I think the only way a human could actually regrow actual limbs is to become in a sense a parahuman. Basically the same way they took a goat and added the DNA properties of having silk protein in their milk they would have to take the DNA properties of a worm or Starfish and add that to the embryo of a human. Even if they do that who knows if it would actually work. Don't forget Starfish and Worms don't have any bones so regeneration for them wouldn't be as complex as regeneration for an organism with bones and complicated organ systems. It would have to be tried first with a rat or other animal embryo. Thus far no such thing has been attempted.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:09:54 AM by Johnny »

Tags:

anything