Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Dracula the Giant  (Read 8216 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 01:08:08 PM »
Bosses as a general rule are made big and foreboding and this has largely remained unchanged, even though you can have a boss character the same size as the hero or even smaller nowadays.

Is it just me or are the hardest bosses in CV the hero-sized ones? Against big bosses you've got certain tactics you use to beat them, a certain run-jump-hit-duck-run combo, which can be repeated to destroy them easily. The smaller bosses, however, usually attack quickly and at random, and then dodge your attack, making hitting them very difficult.
The best example I remember is Julius in Aria of Sorrow. That fast bastard is a real pain in the ass.   :P
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Dracula the Giant
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »
I agree about it likely being a game mechanic.  Bosses, especially in older games, are always kind of big.  It was probably easier to program.  The Dracula in the 3D games is normal sized.  Just look at CoD.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 02:02:53 PM »
It could also be to give the sprite more detail.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »
I agree about it likely being a game mechanic.  Bosses, especially in older games, are always kind of big.  It was probably easier to program.  The Dracula in the 3D games is normal sized.  Just look at CoD.

I can attest to it not being any easier to have a boss be big rather than small in the older games. Having smaller bosses makes them more resource efficient and the less tiles a boss uses the more tiles can be used for their attacks. Smaller bosses are indeed more difficult to hit in most circumstances. Also, they are much scarier when they are bigger.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 03:58:09 PM »
Gilles De Rais(sp?) the fake Dracula from Castlevania 64 is very tall when you fight him.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 05:18:43 PM »
Detail and Mechanics are a factor, but the one that takes the cake is OoE Dracula, He's as big as ever.
oh yeah, why does he turn into the demonic Cookie monster in the first game?

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 08:45:07 PM »

That's supposed to be his demonic "Dragon" form. He also employs it in Rondo, SotN and DoS.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 10:02:50 PM »

The pixel work in NES version of CV1 was decidedly sub-par even when compared to the MSX version.
"Stuff and things."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »
That's supposed to be his demonic "Dragon" form. He also employs it in Rondo, SotN and DoS.
I know, but I still get a kick at it especially how a well timed "COKKIE COOKIE COOKIE" whilst he flaps around in harmony of Despair is all the more humor.
I think the best sized dracula was CoTM, he was slightly taller making it a bit harder to aim the whip if you werent abusing the glitchfest.
Dragon Dracula was the single reason I went to play Rondo of Blood, I felt that the Snes version looked weak even though He was one of the hardest dracula battles ever.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 11:38:45 PM »
I know, but I still get a kick at it especially how a well timed "COKKIE COOKIE COOKIE" whilst he flaps around in harmony of Despair is all the more humor.

LOL! Gotcha  :)

Dragon Dracula was the single reason I went to play Rondo of Blood, I felt that the Snes version looked weak even though He was one of the hardest dracula battles ever.

Yeah the SNES version just looked like a blue demon on vacation sporting a red speedo  :P  But that fight mainly due to the environment you were in, was a difficult fight indeed. The Rondo version of Dracula's second form was well superior in look and style. It actually screamed "Dracul" The Dragon. And because it's so popular it's gone beyond Rondo and ended up in some of the later games. DoS's Dragon form was the toughest out of all of them imo. Not only did he have the standard attacks we're familiar with, but he was also employing the souls of other monsters to join the fight which really kicked ass if you went in there without some sort of strategy. Even at MAX level it was still a difficult fight.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 12:37:02 AM »
Yeah the SNES version just looked like a blue demon on vacation sporting a red speedo  :P  But that fight mainly due to the environment you were in, was a difficult fight indeed. The Rondo version of Dracula's second form was well superior in look and style. It actually screamed "Dracul" The Dragon. And because it's so popular it's gone beyond Rondo and ended up in some of the later games. DoS's Dragon form was the toughest out of all of them imo. Not only did he have the standard attacks we're familiar with, but he was also employing the souls of other monsters to join the fight which really kicked ass if you went in there without some sort of strategy. Even at MAX level it was still a difficult fight.

oh yeah, there should have been 2 things in Harmony of Despair,
1: OoE Dracula (then Dragon, then SoTN), Rondo Dracula to me always looked like crap
2: Evil Soma battle, it was gold.

I hope the PSN version gives the game more DLC, Me and a fanbase still want Contra Style Hammer in HD (he was hinted, voices said hammer, no hammer tho)
And I prey for Albus, more Shanoa stuff and major differences between whip users.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 07:41:22 AM »
Dracula's normal size, maybe 6 or 7 feet tall, but normal. The thing is he manipulates space around him, warps it, refracts not just the light around him, but the physical space too, which makes him appear larger. He's that effin' powerful!
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2011, 08:37:29 AM »
Um... Dracula's second form from RoB and such...

Looks like Gaibon on steroids.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Tags: