Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 457424 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #300 on: October 20, 2015, 10:16:04 AM »
Why not research a town that actually exists right near one of Vlad III's castles? It would have a more authentic feel in my mind.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: October 20, 2015, 10:25:13 AM »
I thought about suggesting that.

But then I got to thinking...

Seems to me that vampires (the undead) do not need air to breath.

If Dracula really wanted to keep people out of his castle he would have it materialize at the bottom of a deep lake.

The castle could easily have sealed and dry areas inside. But simply getting inside of it would pose a much bigger challenge. Not to mention how well hidden it would be.

The bottom of the deepest, darkest lake in Wallachia. That's where a keen vampire lord would hide his fortress.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:33:34 AM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: October 20, 2015, 07:09:27 PM »
A keen one, yes. But the rules are different if the lord is egotistical with a superiority complex over humans. Such a being would not hide beneath the waves, out of sight; such a being would put his fortress in a place where he can strike fear into those he subjugates, and sit atop the highest tower and look down upon them.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #303 on: October 20, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »
A keen one, yes. But the rules are different if the lord is egotistical with a superiority complex over humans. Such a being would not hide beneath the waves, out of sight; such a being would put his fortress in a place where he can strike fear into those he subjugates, and sit atop the highest tower and look down upon them.

I couldn't have put it better than this. Dracula was a brilliant strategist before, but he let his pride take the best of him. As such, the castle follows suit. It exists purely to instill terror on mankind with its appearance alone.

The castle in itself is a cynical invitation from Dracula - "Are you badass enough to face me, maggot? Then here, this is my castle. Let me see if you have the balls to come here and fight me."

He doesn't want to keep people out of his castle. He wants them to come in and die an humiliating death.

I'm also using this info as an exposition device. Here is a dialogue excerpt:

(click to show/hide)

Why not research a town that actually exists right near one of Vlad III's castles? It would have a more authentic feel in my mind.

This was the first idea. The choosen town was going to be Ocnele Mari - a truly romanian town, where the eclipse reached its peak.

I discarded the idea because Castlevania is not very keen on pointing specific real places. We know it happens in Wallachia, but that is still too general of a place. I can tell you that the story happens on that small town in the middle of nowhere on Wallachia and it still won't sound strange to you.

Once I start using well-known real locations, dissonance with the real world becomes apparent. An obvious example: do you know about any Romanian town that suferred a strange ocurrence in 1999 that could be explained by the presence of demons attacking it? My research brought nothing that could allow me to squeeze in this story.

While Castlevania refers to real world events while not referring to real world locations, then you can still feel like the story happened but is kept under wraps - keeping up with the theme of a secret battle of good and evil that permeates the series. Events are much easier to adapt than locations, because locations are things you can physically check anytime. If I tell you that Ocnele Mari was attacked by demons, you could check the town and discover that not only the town is the same as it was in 1999, but no one remembers anything strange happening there. But if I tell you that a town called "Yomi" or "Aljiba" or "Jova" got wiped out, then where will you look? You could say "Ah, but the town never existed! I could check the registers!" but then I'd say "The Church erased all records of it because they must keep Dracula's menace a secret!".

With an invented location, the author is also free to do whatever he pleases with it without risking the reader/player having their suspension of disbelief broken.

This would work if the real location/events taking place in it existed far in the past (and this is why CVIII's "Dracula almost conquered Europe" plot works, as the Church could've had plenty of time to manipulate history to hide this event), but 1999 is too recent, and these real towns still exist.

I might be wrong here, but that's how I perceive it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 07:59:08 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: October 20, 2015, 10:50:15 PM »
Good point plot.

And the cv Dracula is rather cocky. Simply waiting in his throne room for the vampire hunter to come to him.

The real Dracula used guerrilla tactics, night strikes, and secret escape routes. All but unheard of tactics in his time. In fact Poenari was renovated because of how remote and difficult it was to get to. Not as much to show off.

By that logic, a real Vlad the impaler turned vampire might do the underwater sealed Castle thing if he could.

The CV Dracula would want his castle in your face while he sits on his ass waiting for you to bring it.

You're spot on about that Dracula 9!

As far as town names go you could go with something like New Veros.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #305 on: October 21, 2015, 02:11:36 AM »
Invented town name coming up...
Noapte Town.
And that just means Night in Romanian (thank you google)
Plus this was also used in Pokemon Shuffle with Noapte Castle. http://www.serebii.net/shuffle/location/castlenoapte.shtml

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: October 21, 2015, 05:37:32 PM »
If you intend going with a fictional town Plot then by all means use Romanian names. Having a town called 'Yomi' for instance is more a kin to Japan then Romania. It doesn't fit with the country in which CV takes place.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #307 on: October 21, 2015, 06:05:31 PM »
If you intend going with a fictional town Plot then by all means use Romanian names. Having a town called 'Yomi' for instance is more a kin to Japan then Romania. It doesn't fit with the country in which CV takes place.

Ah this is for sure! Yomi sounds nothing like something out of Romania. Which, again, sounds freaking weird considering that most other town names fit perfectly, like Aljiba or Jova.

Invented town name coming up...
Noapte Town.
And that just means Night in Romanian (thank you google)
Plus this was also used in Pokemon Shuffle with Noapte Castle. http://www.serebii.net/shuffle/location/castlenoapte.shtml

Interesting. The town is nameless for now, so I'll add this name to the list. I have two names by now: Noapte, and one of my own Lectură which is just "Yomi" translated to Romanian.

Feel free to add more names to the list, dudes! At the end you can vote the name!

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: October 23, 2015, 12:38:19 PM »
+1
Today I introduce you to Julius Belmont's rival - Timothy Danasty!

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:07:16 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: October 23, 2015, 02:40:42 PM »
Is that Agartha I see there?

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #310 on: October 23, 2015, 03:49:03 PM »
Today I introduce you to Julius Belmont's rival - Timothy Danasty!

(click to show/hide)

First of all. I am digging all the art. Who did you mention was your artist again, because he has mad skills!
Also, didn't mention anything of inheriting that wall sticking gene. That makes some very interesting gameplay ideas being that he has guns and all. I also would retrofit Timothy with some weapons that accent that ability (if he has it.) you know like magnetic sticky bombs. stuff like that..

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #311 on: October 23, 2015, 06:43:50 PM »
Is that Agartha I see there?

;)

But you already knew that!

First of all. I am digging all the art. Who did you mention was your artist again, because he has mad skills!
Also, didn't mention anything of inheriting that wall sticking gene. That makes some very interesting gameplay ideas being that he has guns and all. I also would retrofit Timothy with some weapons that accent that ability (if he has it.) you know like magnetic sticky bombs. stuff like that..

The artist is one Junki Sakuraba!

I didn't mention it, but yes - Tim has inherited his ancestors' ability for wall-climbing. He can also move real fast and has mad reflexes. Remember how Grant could move fast? Well, Tim can straight up RUN up walls. Though it is not a supernatural ability, Tim makes it looks like one as a skill perfected by his family. He was trained to be the Belmonts' replacement, and he is a total beast at doing it.

He has a knife, but different from Grant, his specialty are ranged weapons (which, in a way, is also a throwback to Grant, as he had skills with knife-throwing too). He has a standard Silver Gun that every military soldier carries, but ALSO an assortment of other belic tricks, like a "grenade" that explodes into a holy water rain produced by technology alone. His highest trump card, though, is his special weapon - the Agartha. Yes THAT Agartha.

The Agartha has been modified to fire bullets as strong as the wielders' willpower. Being trained under heavy stress and being extremelly determined, each bullet from Tim's hand hits like a cannon ball. Ultimatelly, it has one special bullet that has been designed to kill Dracula himself. Only Timothy has enough willpower to allow Agartha to fire such a powerful bullet, explaining why he's the only one able to use the weapon at all.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:02:21 PM by theplottwist »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: October 23, 2015, 08:07:25 PM »
Timothy Danasty looks bad ass! Seriously! And he looks like a man should. Now I'm probably going to get smacked around a bit for saying this but...why can't Julius look that manly too?!?

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: October 23, 2015, 08:34:35 PM »
Timothy Danasty looks bad ass! Seriously! And he looks like a man should. Now I'm probably going to get smacked around a bit for saying this but...why can't Julius look that manly too?!?

Interestingly I thought people were going to hate Timothy. I guess I was blatantly wrong o_O

Timothy looking much manlier than Julius was one of the design contrasts I wanted. You can even notice how the artist is intentionally avoiding too much Kojima-y references on his design.

Timothy is older, colder and Da-nastier (giddit??) than Julius. This might explain somewhat what the artist and me were going for. Julius is much softer than Tim is. Even though he has received vampire-hunting training, his was much more lenient. Timothy is the result of hardcore beating - he basically had to learn whatever Julius did AND more in a much shorter period of time, under a much stricter rule.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:38:36 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #314 on: October 23, 2015, 10:09:02 PM »
I'm loving the art for Tim!  ;D

Tags: 1999 Awes 

anything