Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 457462 times)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #375 on: January 28, 2016, 02:41:52 AM »
Good luck on the re-write, buddy.
(click to show/hide)
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #376 on: January 28, 2016, 02:45:40 AM »
Good luck on the re-write, buddy.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #377 on: January 28, 2016, 08:12:57 AM »
Plot, I just wanted to say that your writing is awesome. I keep seeing you building solid backstory for all of the characters involved without missing a thing. If budgets weren't an issue when making games I'm sure you'd be one hell of a writer.
Additionally your spriting skills are kick-ass too.
Keep up the awesome work  ;D

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #378 on: January 28, 2016, 11:15:40 AM »
Plot, I just wanted to say that your writing is awesome. I keep seeing you building solid backstory for all of the characters involved without missing a thing. If budgets weren't an issue when making games I'm sure you'd be one hell of a writer.
Additionally your spriting skills are kick-ass too.
Keep up the awesome work  ;D

Thank you very much!

It'll take a lot of time, but this will be ready some day for people to enjoy.

BTW, I added detailed references to Julius' origin that might help a little to understand certain choices for this story.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:50:08 PM by theplottwist »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #379 on: February 01, 2016, 04:26:53 PM »
Today I come to share with you how Umbra started.

Many years ago I started the project with a friend. It was going to be a comic, and had no name, but it was going to deal with 1999.

It was back then that I wrote the first draft for the whole thing, but being nowhere as knowledgeable in Castlevania as I'm today, the plot was pretty poor. Even so, he did the art, but we couldn't even finish the first chapter. You'll notice that the art is pretty amateurish, and much of it is still incomplete, too.

Also, do not ask me how the dialogue should be or the page order, I do not remember. But in this scene, two members of the church (one Belnades and an original character with the power to create objects made of psychic energy) were going to investigate an abandoned mansion where they had detected black magic, and ended up stumbling upon Arikado.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:29:00 PM by theplottwist »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #380 on: February 07, 2016, 07:47:35 AM »
Character profile cards. They will replace the sprite profiles I have on the first page for this thread (many people are visiting the thread, and these cards will greet them).

(click to show/hide)

There is no Lenora yet. But she's coming.

If you people think I should change something, please tell me!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:55:10 AM by theplottwist »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #381 on: February 07, 2016, 08:36:40 AM »
When the Belmonts fell prey to a illness...
Hate to be that guy, but I believe that should be "an".
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #382 on: February 07, 2016, 09:05:03 AM »
Character profile cards. They will replace the sprite profiles I have on the first page for this thread (many people are visiting the thread, and these cards will greet them).

(click to show/hide)

There is no Lenora yet. But she's coming.

If you people think I should change something, please tell me!

Everything is sooo pretty... :o

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #383 on: February 07, 2016, 10:04:20 AM »
Hate to be that guy, but I believe that should be "an".

Not a problem, dude.

Fixed (though not updated). Forgot to add a detail, too, on Tim's bio; Will appear on the final version along with the corrected typos and slight rewritting of redundant text.

Everything is sooo pretty... :o

I was going to give my thanks, but most of the magic comes from the artist drawing the characters :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #384 on: February 07, 2016, 11:18:11 AM »
Nice backstory for Julius Plot. Although I don't think that him being the 'last' descendant of the Belmont family is entirely correct. I feel the term 'latest' rather then 'last' would be more accurate. Not unless every single Belmont in the world, including the other families (Lecardes, Morris', etc.), are dead. This is just me though. It's all looking good so far, but where is Lenora's portrait?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #385 on: February 07, 2016, 07:06:29 PM »
Nice backstory for Julius Plot. Although I don't think that him being the 'last' descendant of the Belmont family is entirely correct. I feel the term 'latest' rather then 'last' would be more accurate. Not unless every single Belmont in the world, including the other families (Lecardes, Morris', etc.), are dead.

Good point, changed to "latest".

Also, I was planning for Jonathan to NOT have descendants, but I might have cooked up something to subvert that :)

It's all looking good so far, but where is Lenora's portrait?

Not yet ready. There is an artwork of her coming out one of these days, but it's a full body one, like Alucard. She'll have a portrait, but I'll use the full body one while the portrait doesn't come :)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #386 on: February 07, 2016, 11:53:49 PM »
I love those profile cards!

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #387 on: February 12, 2016, 12:48:09 AM »
Plot will be posting something for Lenora soon since I already saw Junki's art on dA.  I want her weapon and clothes!  hahaha  :D

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #388 on: February 12, 2016, 02:41:40 AM »
His dA, you say? Lemme go over there real quick and see what you're on about.

...Good lord, her wand/mace/whatever is pimpin'.
^^

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #389 on: February 12, 2016, 02:40:06 PM »
Oh wow the peeps already keep expecting the things  :o

So, here it is, Lenora Belnades! Design based on the sprite created by Donoffrio!

In this art Lenora has the Belnades Staff, but that is not her only weapon.

Plus, as explained in her bio card, she is a fundamental piece on Dracula's banishment. She has been trained by Charlotte to know how to manually separate him from his power effectively and fast.

"Why doesn't Charlotte do it herself?"

To do it, it's necessary for the person conducting the separation to have direct contact with Dracula's soul, and we know very well what the handling of Dracula's soul does to a person. Even if she's the strongest sorcerer of the Church by 1999, Charlotte is still very fragile due to old age, and Dracula's power could either corrupt or destroy her before she achieved the objective.

Lenora has been specifically trained to do it as fast as possible while being young enough to oppose Dracula's power through her willpower.

Charlotte is still needed to conduct the Hakuba ritual (which is more complex, but can be done from a much safer distance from Dracula), but Lenora has to carry on her task first.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 03:02:46 PM by theplottwist »

Tags: 1999 Awes