Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 457458 times)

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)
« Reply #690 on: January 06, 2017, 05:34:28 AM »

If I can answer this...

No.

I wasn't ready.

That's some good stuff. <3

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #691 on: January 06, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Nope, still too early for a demo. But you will get to see much more solid stuff this year.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #692 on: February 19, 2017, 12:32:47 AM »
+2
Hello people!

Tiny-ish update for you. First of all, I bring you the master of a section of the Demon Castle himself. As always, a work by Junki Sakuraba:

Olrox is a character that I have confirmed to be present on this story quite a bit ago. While he had next to no background in SotN, here he'll be a bit more fleshed out as one of Dracula's three vampire generals. Yes, three. One is Olrox, another is Carmilla, and the third one is an original character rooted firmly on the CV lore and based on a certain character from ghost-story tropes.

I have made a point to make Umbra a lot more "vampire" than Castlevania has done before, and this is reflected on the numerous more "vampire"-based foes, including this third vampire general. But you'll have to wait to see him.

Now, I want to show off just a tiny bit more than Olrox -- a VERY SMALL demonstration of engine programming hijinx by Dracula9. Since the Dungeon can't load these in special, please click here to see it.

What you're seeing is just a small part of many effect tests we have done on the engine. They're using placeholder assets for faster debugging and testing, and there is plenty more from where those came for a myriad of situations we have planned for the game version.

Here's a bit more:

That's it!

Please keep in mind that NOTHING you're seeing here is final. Some things are more "ready" than others, but fine tunning is never enough. There's even some stuff here not reflecting what we currently have, being used here only for demonstration purposes.

Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:09:24 AM by theplottwist »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #693 on: February 19, 2017, 01:48:31 AM »
I'm loving the effects! Good job on the engine D9.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #694 on: February 19, 2017, 03:30:55 AM »
Goddamn that is some kickass VFX work, proof that GM is more capable than a certain someone gives it credit. A lotta startup on that whip though, too close and he'll just eat a counter-poke. :P
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #695 on: February 19, 2017, 03:55:09 AM »
A lotta startup on that whip though, too close and he'll just eat a counter-poke. :P

Intentional.

1. Julius has more than one attack (refer some pages back and you'll see what I mean).
2. He's the strongest amongst all characters, but also the slowest. And when I say strongest, you better believe this strength coupled with some more things make up for this wind up.

And at the end of the day, I made specific frames slower for this presentation. It's perfectly acceptable to tune his speed (and whip size, too) on the final thing after more testing ;)

EDIT: I readded the Julius whip animation to be easier on the people's eyes. This is more next to what we have atm, but still not optimal.

Goddamn that is some kickass VFX work, proof that GM is more capable than a certain someone gives it credit.

If your eyes could see what I have seen... D9 is truly outdoing himself on a lot of stuff regarding this project.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:15:01 AM by theplottwist »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #696 on: February 19, 2017, 04:09:46 AM »
1. Julius has more than one attack (refer some pages back and you'll see what I mean).
Right, forgot about that.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #697 on: February 19, 2017, 04:38:27 AM »
Gorgeous. The future of CV really does belong to the fans.

And Orlok's looing good. I seem to recall Shiroi's Ricordanza translation saying Orlok "crossed swords" with Alucard back in the day. Although it obviously meant SOTN, I like how you guys seem to be taking it literally given the sword at his side.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #698 on: February 19, 2017, 04:45:38 AM »
Gorgeous. The future of CV really does belong to the fans.

And Orlok's looing good. I seem to recall Shiroi's Ricordanza translation saying Orlok "crossed swords" with Alucard back in the day. Although it obviously meant SOTN, I like how you guys seem to be taking it literally given the sword at his side.

Heh, I expected nobody to actually catch on that, but you're correct. Olrox mentions a "crossing blades" with Alucard when he had no blade...

...unless the last bout with Alucard WASN'T on SotN.

Olrox does wield a sword on the novel, so he might indeed have meant that literally (though still referring to SotN -- we don't get to see him use a sword there but, if one were to novelize SotN officially, he'd probably have one). As a canon literalist, his battle on SotN dictates to me that he didn't have a sword -- hence now he has one to put up a proper sword-crossing with Alucard.

You can expect to see this sword put to good use :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:52:52 AM by theplottwist »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #699 on: February 19, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »
Olrox's head design looks very familiar. Like one of those aliens I've seen in a Sci-Fi movie or something. The dead give-away is his nose. I've seen that nose before.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #700 on: February 19, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #701 on: February 19, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Everything is soooo pretty.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #702 on: February 19, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »
Wow, this is a great update.

Nice to see the engine is getting a showcase. I can only imagine you guys got a lot of fun ideas happening in the shadows. ;)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #703 on: February 20, 2017, 12:41:57 AM »
+1
Wow, this is a great update.
Nice to see the engine is getting a showcase. I can only imagine you guys got a lot of fun ideas happening in the shadows. ;)

You have no idea. If I started listing the stuff we have planned for this here, the post wouldn't fit the screen :p

Also, I want to show an Olrox sprite made by a friend called RaghavAT:

While the sprite can't be used on the project (it was made more for "artwork" reasons than to be actually used), I still feel I should showcase it nonetheless!

Olrox's head design looks very familiar. Like one of those aliens I've seen in a Sci-Fi movie or something. The dead give-away is his nose. I've seen that nose before.

Well, the references were literally every bald vampire ever (in special Count Orlok from Nosferatu and Kurt Barlow from Salem's Lot) and the concept is that Olrox (much like Orlok) is an ugly mofo -- except more "elegant ugly", removing those ridiculous front teeth Orlok originally had.

The idea here is that Olrox exhibits a weird contrast of ugly/horrific and elegance/class. He looks obviously evil, but his intentions are much more complex than "HURR ME EVIL VAMPIRE KILL ALL HUMANS!!". His nose is based on that of a bat's, as if Olrox were trapped mid-transformation.

Dracula9 thinks he looks a lot like Voldemort (which I partly agree), but he can attest Voldemort was not once evoked during Olrox' design process.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:56:09 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #704 on: February 20, 2017, 12:54:30 AM »
That sprite looks to be very inspired by SotN. Maybe it's the color palette.

Tags: 1999 Awes 

anything