Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Do you think Castlevania is dead?  (Read 49390 times)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2015, 01:20:08 AM »
@Gunlord Initially I took the 'my friend' thing as tongue-in-cheek in its context, but yes point taken.

@Belmontoya Apologies for any unwanted abrasion on my behalf.

@Flame Thanks for asking if I was autistic, rather than assuming I was. :P
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2015, 01:59:11 AM »
@X: I call people dearie and not sweety.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2015, 10:38:28 AM »

Don't put the 3D feature in, simple.

Im pretty sure it doesnt work like that.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2015, 01:34:32 PM »
+1
Now that we're all friends we should get matching nes Simon Belmont tattoos!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2015, 09:49:05 AM »
I'd like to have the games go back to old continuity. Retcon the hundred year rule for Dracula and allow for breathing room for more games in the series.
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2015, 12:29:00 AM »
I think if old Simon B. got into Smash it would breath some good life back into the series.

Offline zaxiou

• Hunter in Training
  • Wrryyyyyy
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2015, 08:08:49 AM »
Probably not, Samus has been in Smash for a while and nothing much came from there.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2015, 08:54:56 AM »
What if Konami would resurrect some of their old associated "brands" like Vampire Killer, Haunted Castle or Kid Dracula? I somehow think it should've been done ages ago. Just look at Shin Megami Tensei which has multiple branches, one of which (yes, Persona) is arguably more popular than the mainline series.

I think Lords of Shadow could've been a Vampire Killer trilogy instead of using the Castlevania name. That would've made a lot of the haters less upset. And it could expand into its very own thing to cater to fans of more mainstream 3D action games, while leaving Castlevania to the nostalgic hardcore oldschool fans.

And as cheesy as it is, the name Vampire Killer is probably easier to market than Castlevania too.

Maybe the Metroidvanias could've been Haunted Castle games. Dunno. Or maybe they're a more natural evolution of the Vampire Killer formula. Doesn't matter, it's just names.

But what I'm most excited about is the idea of a new Kid Dracula game. It could be marketed more towards the Mario/Kirby crowd. Heck, it could even be a Zeldaesque game. If Konami announced KID DRACULA REBOOT for the 3DS it would actually be one of the cooler things they've done in years. It is very unlikely, I know, but still.

My point is that there're so many things that could've been done with the franchise. Fun things!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:03:57 AM by shelverton. »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2015, 01:12:02 PM »
I'm not sure if you were talking about Vampire Killer as in the Japanese title of Bloodlines, but in case you were, it would be pretty neat to revive that particular sub-series even though it got cut short after one game. Probably would be too confusing though, since IGA tied its events into his storyline. On the other hand, it's not like canon matters now.

Kid Dracula would be sweet, too. Although I would want it to be more of a Castlevania parody than the originals were, personally.

IGA explained once SotN was called Dracula X because the X has an association with spin-off works in Japan (though weirdly enough this doesn't apply to RoB). So I always like to think of SotN and its ilk as the "Dracula X series".

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »
What I don't get is why they didn't touch different timelines or other issues in the universe. Like, why didn't we get more Leon chasing Mathias? Couldn't something bad happen between the 100 year cycle that the Belmonts would need to take care of?

No Belmont pancake house dating simulator where depending on the lover, changes the character you plan in a more traditional CV like romp? (Kinda like Agarest Wars I guess) There was a lot of potential that just never got used.

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2015, 01:39:40 AM »
What I don't get is why they didn't touch different timelines or other issues in the universe. Like, why didn't we get more Leon chasing Mathias? Couldn't something bad happen between the 100 year cycle that the Belmonts would need to take care of?

I read somewhere that Trevor was supposed to be the first ever to defeat Dracula so it's likely that there's no events after Lament of Innocence, also leon said himself that his future sons or descendants will be the ones who will defeat Dracula.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2015, 10:21:45 AM »
I read somewhere that Trevor was supposed to be the first ever to defeat Dracula so it's likely that there's no events after Lament of Innocence, also leon said himself that his future sons or descendants will be the ones who will defeat Dracula.

You're correct. IGA was the one to make the claim that Trevor was the first Belmont to slay the Count. But before IGA took the reigns it was never decided upon that he was the first to kill Dracula. It was all up in the air at that point.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2015, 02:02:03 PM »
You're correct. IGA was the one to make the claim that Trevor was the first Belmont to slay the Count. But before IGA took the reigns it was never decided upon that he was the first to kill Dracula. It was all up in the air at that point.

It wasn't up in the air. Sonia Belmont.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2015, 06:17:02 PM »
It wasn't up in the air. Sonia Belmont.
Before Sonia, it was Trevor still, and before Trevor, it was Christopher.

IGA likely wanted Trevor to be the "first Belmont" that killed Dracula because he was never shy about hiding his fanboyism for CV3.

Personally, I still prefer Trevor and CV3's "origin" as time a Belmont defeats Dracula because of the interesting significance of the year 1476. Then again, I was always MORE interested Dracula being Vlad Tepes, not Mathias(nor Gabriel). I still think it would've been easier to frame the story without the bullshit of "who" Dracula really is.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2015, 01:10:06 AM »
But as I understand, Legends' backstory had some contradictory elements to what IGA wanted to keep sacred within the official canon. Dracula being Vlad Tepes was one thing, the bigger issue being Alucard's bloodline corrupting the Belmont bloodline that conflicted with LOI's story about their bloodline being pure. Otherwise the VK (with Sara's tainted soul) would have rejected another tainted soul. I wonder if IGA ever thought about keeping Legends but retconning the inference Trevor was Alucard's child.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD