Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Chronicles Simon  (Read 46196 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:16:41 PM »
It seems a lot of people have a love/hate relationship when it comes to Simon's Chronicles look. Dracula's redesign was universally loved, and I remember way back in 2001 there was a lot of love for Simon's design despite the stripper undertones. Since then, opinions have gotten more stronger and divisive, and many prefer his original X68000 appearance. What do you all think of it?

To be honest, it's actually my favorite design of him. I grew up with CV2 Simon, yet for some reason I think of his Chronicles look as the definitive one in my mind. When I think of Simon Belmont, I think of Chronicles' radical US cover. I can understand the hate, but it's the one I prefer the most.
Then again, I also like the arranged version of Vampire Killer, so maybe I just like things that are actually terrible.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:11:32 AM »
I kinda like this design, the flowing red hair and "eyeliner makeup" is what turns most people off about it. If I recall correctly IGA said the reason for this was because the game had a "red" color theme so he gave Kojima much freedom with the design. The outfit itself is fine, nothing really weighing him down except for his sword. I might have preferred dark brown or black hair, though. Also, in the artwork, the whip is way too long..

Perhaps Kojima should've gave him a beard? I wonder how Simon would look like with a scruffy beard.. Besides Julius and possibly BR Christopher, he's the only other character I can picture with one. And not like that douchy pretend beard Gabriel has.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 06:22:19 AM »
Considering Simon's previous designs at the time, it was in my opinion the best middle ground they could have come up with. It is still somewhat barbarian like, but with a sort of elegant Kojima twist. I still like it to this day.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »

It's my favourite Simon design. I couldn't care less about his hair color, I just think he looks rather awesome. I did hate his Judgment look though. That was simply not Simon.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:44:41 AM »
Nothing wrong with the red hair. It actually gives him kind of a cool, rebellious aura. It's the boots, the eyeliner look and the almost-too-perfect Kojima face that I don't like.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 09:09:46 AM »
The worst look Simon had in years. Alongside his Judgement appearance.
I grew up with classic Simon desigh and this new incarnation was totally outlandish and bizzare.

I could have been OK with, if not crazy combination of red hair and black leather clothes. It made him look like a fashion victim, even more so than Juste, who save for him being Alucard rip-off still ended up more fashionable and decent design. At this point I get used to Kojima's "typical face" for all men, so it was not a big deal.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 09:48:16 AM »
I grew up with the classic Simon design too but I still prefer the redesign. Some people automatically suggest that you're a n00b just because you don't worship the 80's Conan look. Not that anyone did that here, but still.

Also, I think more guys should wear eyeliner.

Offline Jago

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
I like the Chronicles design, I just like the CV4 one better.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 10:40:13 AM »
Red hair made him more unique. Tell me what other Belmonts have red hair. And as the most popular Belmont, I think he deserves to stand out a bit more. I thought he looked plenty barbaian while still retaining some Kojima class.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
I'm not fond of a number of things in his design:

1. The overuse of leather in his neck (makes him look like an S&M enthusiast).  I can deal with the Roman-style studded leather skirt, but not the neck buckle things.  The other games that have him in leather have it up to his neck, but never as a leather-with-metal-buckles-turtleneck thing.
2. The furry black boa stuff he's wearing (it would've been better if it were an actual animal skin, like a gray wolf skin or something)
3. The 3-inch heels he's got in his pointy boots. Also, the pointy boots.
4. It's not that it's red hair... it's that it's bright red hair.  Slightly more brown but still red would've been fine, like his Judgment hair color (which is kinda a wine/burgundy color) or auburn.
5. He's wearing tights.  Leather tights.  Studded black leather tights.  That's just too far gone, for me.

Here is what I like about his design:
1. The gloves are well done.  I like seeing him with full gloves (even if they are open at the fingertips, which is kinda not cool) instead of just bracers.
2. It's nice that they kept the "off-center" design on his armor from the older iterations of his costume.
3. The use of red in the armor is really cool.  Kinda gives it a Simon's Quest air.
4. I dig the leather straps on the boots, even if I don't like the black fur, the heels, and the tips.
5. The chains and metal work are done well, as is the sheath for his sword/subweapons.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:37:17 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 11:39:27 AM »
I like the Chronicles design, I just like the CV4 one better.

What's funny and awesome at the same time is that you mixed both of them in your sig thingy below.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 12:02:22 PM »
I just like the CV4 one better.

Ditto.

I wonder what he would look wearing the headgear of (Japanese) SCVIV, the hairs of Chronicles and CV and the armor of SQ. And maybe sporting a beard of suffering.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 06:21:17 PM »
3. The 3-inch heels he's got in his pointy boots. Also, the pointy boots.
All Ayami's Belmonts have heels and pointy boots. Hell, even Soma has Heels and pointy shoes.

Trevor is really the worse offender.

I think only Alucard's boots are somewhat sensible looking. (Maybe Juste's too)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 06:51:47 PM »
Hey, He's the only Ayami Kojima Belmont with a Trench or Tail Coat on.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 07:01:36 PM »
Julius wears a trench coat. Tail Coat maybe though. He's certainly a more classy Belmont, but then again, he got sucked into adventure on short notice, so he never really got to switch to "work clothes" I guess.

Or he's just that fashionable.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:03:08 PM by Flame »

Tags: