Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Calling all participants!  (Read 20739 times)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2014, 08:04:47 AM »
One thing to keep in mind is that Death does NOT want to resurrect Dracula (yet). The plan is to keep Simon away from the body parts, so he cannot resurrect Dracula and lift Dracula's curse to on Simon. Once Simon is dead then Dracula can come back.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »
I'm iffy about how you want to handle Dracula's character. It's essentially building upon IGA's version of the character when that was not the Dracula we were presented with in the early NES titles. I'm not sure if it's going to work out well. If you think you can pull it off then by all means, have at it. But personally it's not something I would do.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »
I think the idea of giving Dracula that kind of outlook works much better later on in the timeline. I see the NES trilogy Dracula as still being a rotten spiteful bastard who hasn't been beaten too much yet, and there by wouldnt really be thinking of that too much at this point.

Edit: Extended thought: This could start to be the turning point though where Dracula may doubt he has the chops to win these battles. I wouldn't over blow it, but some really subtle tone of maybe he'll never win might work.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:06:57 PM by uzo »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »
Dracula's wraith is defeated, but the Count is still resurrected. but sitting in the throne is what's left of him, a pitiful creature filled with regret. He'll Tell Simon that his act against god is now his eternal punishment, He'll never even know if he'll see 'her' again. a few more lines and finally asks Simon to kill him hoping this will end his own curse.

Originally I wanted Dracula to resurrect and you'll have to fight Drac in a composing Castle, but I really want to show a different side of dracula, the man filled with remorse and sorrow, never knowing when he'll rise again, never knowing if he would remember why he's here in the first place. Someone who wants to accept death trying to deny his immortality.

what do you guys think?

Actually, that's pretty much dead-on what I'm wanting to do with Haunted Castle. I'm 100% with you on that side of Dracula getting more limelight, but I don't know how well that would work in CVII's (or Haunted Castle's, for that matter) context. Granted, I have the excuse of HC having next to no storyline to begin with, but CVII at least has a little bit written already. Like uzo said, I don't really think Drac is quite ready for that point in his emotional journey. The first three games always struck me as him still being in that Mathias-esque period where he's still pissed off at God and humanity in general and hasn't been through and suffered enough to really dwell on his situation.

Remember, Kaz, that unfathomable emotional turmoil isn't something that develops quickly. In the case of Dracula, it would have to be something he developed over centuries of overwhelming and total defeat at the hands of those humans he feels so superior to. Something he has had generations upon generations to think about; to truly consider the divine irony of the situation he put himself in. Uzo's "rotten spiteful bastard" bit is more fitting for CVII's place in the timeline, if you ask me.

That being said, I think you may be able to pull it off if you really divulge all the petty details and present the concepts well enough. Don't get discouraged or anything.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2014, 01:50:59 AM »
Actually Dracula9, I have to agree with you and uzo. The idea of sad Dracula is a good one, but not ready this early in the timeline. I'm going to hang on to that idea for another project, on the bright side, Carmilla's story does work rather well...

Also, I've been working on the Berkeley mansion. At the moment I'm just Pasting updated tiles over the old, recoloring them, and seeing if they work. The idea is to essentially remap the Mansions, theme them, but keep most of the original palette. Right now It's looking more like a modified demon guest house... which isn't too bad since I do want the mansion to look rather like a mansion.

Also I really do need help on setting themes to the other Mansions, of course Death will be a clock tower.

I uploaded the WIP Sheet on Simon. Only tools that I use is Paint XP (the only one I'm used to using LOL) Feedback Appreciated!

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2014, 04:21:26 PM »
Another thing to consider. If the woman is Carmilla, it may be wise to make sure Simon isn't holding the whip while that scene plays out. It's been shown that the whip can somehow let a Belmont know when there are enemies present. It seems to sense undead creatures. Simon's 'Belmont Sense' would be tingling if Carmilla approached him while he has the whip with him. Also take time of day into consideration, cause you know, vampires and shit.

A few changes might have to be made based on these. Something to consider at least.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2014, 05:26:49 PM »
It should be okay for the intro scene with Carmilla in the graveyard since Simon does not start out with the Vampirekiller. There would be nothing to tip him off about her. But later-on when he does have it, it will let him know that the woman he's meeting with is in fact a vampire. What you might want to do KaZiZ is sit down and write out a rough draft of the game's story. Just so you know where and how things are going to be. This will help you immensely and you won't get confused during the development. And if a new element should find it's way into the game then you can figure out where it needs to go.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2014, 09:37:43 AM »
That presents a problem with the setting of the story though. If you take the current canon and details of the franchise into account; Why DOESN'T he have the Vampire Killer? That's something that will have to be explained very carefully.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2014, 09:47:17 AM »
That's very true, however KaZiZ came up with a sub-plot very early on in this thread to explain it (Glad I remembered).

Let's say why Simon can't use the VK because it was stolen by a rival hunter, would that be a good subplot?

This is about the only way for Simon not to have the vampirekiller right off the bat.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2014, 02:32:34 PM »
That will take one hell of an explanation. Belmonts can take down armies of the undead, but can't keep track of their own whip?

(Would the whip even allow for it?)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2014, 05:34:44 PM »
Well the whip itself is inanimate all on it's own, and can only be used by a Belmont. Other then that it's just a morning star whip. The rival hunter would not be able to use it (like Johnathon can't in PoR) and probable doesn't realize this fact. Maybe after a failed attempt of trying to use it he sells it to a merchant saying "Good riddance to bad rubbish!" and later on Simon sees it and buys it back. All this could be explained in the story by speaking to townsfolk who relay the tale to Simon. We don't see the rival hunter but we do know of him and his failed attempt of grandeur.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »
The whip will be stolen by a Rival hunter in hopes he can kill Dracula himself, he blames Simon for not "finishing Dracula" and thus his family (loved one, not sure yet) was killed within the 7 years, you will fight him a few times.

As for Simon, in his position, has lived in peace for some time, but as he grows weaker over time, he has been informed that Dracula wasn't completely dead. In his eyes he has failed the people, and his bloodline but he is the only one who can fix this as well.

Carmilla's Part is a bit complex, She knows Simon's weakness but she knows she cannot overthrow Dracula herself... To avoid suspicion, she decides to aid Simon, as long as she tells him only what he "needs" to hear. It's a bit perfect since I never intended the Lady to be Carmilla, but I did intend to give her a bigger role to help Simon more.

Death's Part will be to keep Dracula in his current state, if the curse continues and Simon dies, Dracula will come back stronger than ever, His part is still WIP.

-Side Stories-

Each Mansion will have a story with it, none are final but the intention to have the story is...

-The flooded Mansion-
Boss and Story WIP, I'm thinking of a cult plot.

-Slogra and Gaibon's revenge-
Armored with a vengence, more of a humor story, this details the duo's struggle for a rematch.

-The Maiden in the Palace-
More of a homage to LoS, in Carmilla's mansion, one of Carmilla's maidens is unhappy with her new life, thus helps Simon in his journey.

-Wavering faith-
After his son was turned into a vampire, a priest is having second thoughts in his faith in god.

I do intend to write out the story in detail, but at the moment I'm trying to uniform a blueprint, no sidestories will be included in the first Draft because it's not really part of the plot.

Also, a small bit of tilework on Mansion 1

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2014, 06:34:23 PM »
I'm more concerned with the "howdunnit" part of the rival stealing the VK. Does he just sort of mug Simon while he's weakened by the curse?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »
SImon was still able to trek through the countryside through mansions, lands, bosses, and STILL kill Dracula at the end. He's no pussy, even when weakened. It's something that needs to be thought about carefully.

Personally I can't think of any real explanation for the theft of the whip. It seems ridiculous, since Simon is still capable of all the above even under the curse.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »
Personally I can't think of any real explanation for the theft of the whip. It seems ridiculous, since Simon is still capable of all the above even under the curse.

And I agree... Simon having his whip stolen seems kinda silly...

Why don't you have the whip be weakened because of the curse placed on Simon? He's cursed, thus he can't wield the whip to it's fullest as it simply won't respond to Simon. The VK recognizes him as a vampire because of the curse placed on him. Have it be like PoR. The VK spends the whole game as the weakest weapon, and by having all of Dracula's Relics he can meet a wizard/alchemist that uses them to "reverse engineer" the curse and find a "loophole" in it for Simon to be able to wield the VK again even while cursed.

I mean... It's a suggestion only dude...
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Tags:

anything