Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first sign rises with the full moon.  (Read 1045654 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: The first sign rises with the full moon.
« Reply #2475 on: April 02, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
To be fair, it was fairly useful in CotM. The other games...kinda useless, unless it was the end of the game and all your stats were high.

. SotN also had floating platforms of course, but it had subtle explanations as to why they are there. You can see a crumbled stairway in the background in one such section for example. Later games kind off placed these platforms haphazardly around the levels, so it feels kind off cheap. It's a shame, since arguably this feeling of immersion was SotN's strongest point.

Aria did the same thing, where all the platforms were "realistic" insofar that they weren't just floating in space. Oddly enough, Harmony was half and half in that some of the platforms made sense in terms of reality and others, like the Wailing Way, just...floated in space. But it doesn't break my immersion either way.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2476 on: April 02, 2016, 04:38:22 PM »
I was more talking about the standing kick, not the sliding one.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
« Reply #2477 on: April 02, 2016, 07:22:57 PM »
As useful as it was with Nathan Graves and Juste Belmont?
Meaning, only to get into small crevaces and probably not so good for running into enemies.

What Shelverton is saying is he doesn't know why there's a standing kick.
It's probably just a closer attack like the 64 games had.

it also would surprise me if Iga's adding just enough gameplay elements to differentiate BS from CV. There's no guarantee Konami won't sue him given their recent track record.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2478 on: April 02, 2016, 07:30:24 PM »
I suppose it's possible that she may lose weaponry at some point and would have to rely on it?
That'd be pretty weird, though.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
« Reply #2479 on: April 02, 2016, 08:19:39 PM »
I suppose it's possible that she may lose weaponry at some point and would have to rely on it?
That'd be pretty weird, though.

It could comprise a challenge or set of challenges where Miriam may lose specific attributes or weapons/armour.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2480 on: April 04, 2016, 11:44:54 AM »
Just wanted to point something out. I don't think you have to worry as much about floating platforms.

As you can see here the platforms are connected to the pillars, so they seem to be thinking a lot about the actual reality of the environment. ( thankfully)

Also, an addition -

- her turn around

and

her pose -

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2481 on: April 04, 2016, 07:13:47 PM »
Yeah that chandelier is probably a floating platform.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2482 on: April 06, 2016, 09:41:37 AM »
I dunno how people would nitpick floating platforms when Castlevania wasn't about realistic "logical" platforms in enviornments.   the IGAvania floating platforms whenever they are there, still make sense for the style of that type of game design/world.  It's still immersive. it's not like they just place floating platforms anywhere.
IGAvania/Bloodstained worlds are different worlds, and it is possible for floating platforms to exist, even if they are not connected to the background or foreground structures.    magic is a big part of these games and its possible for castles to have floating platforms here and there. 

if people are going to nitpick floating platforms, then I guess they will start demanding fall damage as well for the sake of atmosphere.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2483 on: April 06, 2016, 10:12:57 AM »
I dunno how people would nitpick floating platforms when Castlevania wasn't about realistic "logical" platforms in enviornments.   the IGAvania floating platforms whenever they are there, still make sense for the style of that type of game design/world.  It's still immersive. it's not like they just place floating platforms anywhere.
IGAvania/Bloodstained worlds are different worlds, and it is possible for floating platforms to exist, even if they are not connected to the background or foreground structures.    magic is a big part of these games and its possible for castles to have floating platforms here and there. 

if people are going to nitpick floating platforms, then I guess they will start demanding fall damage as well for the sake of atmosphere.

Floating platforms in the Classic games were okay, the backgrounds were vague enough for them to blend in, but in the more modern games it sorta made less sense since the highly detailed backgrounds could easily accompany the platforms, most of the time they do.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2484 on: April 06, 2016, 05:27:41 PM »
well yeah, maybe the kickstarters will tell IGA to try to make the backgrounds connect to the floating platforms. 

Offline Zargon

• Hunter in Training
  • Its up to you!
    • Awards
« Reply #2485 on: April 07, 2016, 12:18:53 AM »
Its a test map people, chill out. Its nothing to get riled up about anyway, but it isn't really fair to start freaking out until we see Miriam walking on platforms connecting to nothing in gameplay vids with finished backgrounds or something. And as has been pointed out, the stuff in the chandelier pic look an awful lot like platforms, and they are connected to things.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:24:08 AM by Zargon »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2486 on: April 07, 2016, 09:29:31 AM »
I've never had an issue with platforms in games. It's part of the mechanics. I think a lot of people tend to forget that there is (as another dungeonite put it) magic involved. Any castle that is magical or cursed is going to use a series of platforms that seem to defy reality. And since this is a game we're talking about here, then reality can go willy-nilly for all we care and shouldn't bother anyone.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2487 on: April 07, 2016, 12:18:21 PM »
+1
I'm just saying SotN did a good job incorporating platforms into its game world, and that later games paid less attention to this. Since they went out of their way to do this since the beginning, they might as well be consistent about it, right? 

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2488 on: April 07, 2016, 02:14:16 PM »
I'm just saying SotN did a good job incorporating platforms into its game world, and that later games paid less attention to this. Since they went out of their way to do this since the beginning, they might as well be consistent about it, right?
Yeah, some games do some games don't, it's mostly about how many background layers are in the stage, Which most can be fixed for the more open areas given another layer can be placed, but still, it's more of aesthetic nit-picking rather than game breaking.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #2489 on: April 07, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »
If I had a problem with floating platforms I would have a problem with almost every video game I've ever loved.

The worst monsters are human.

Tags:

anything