Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: NITM is still better than SOTN!  (Read 16296 times)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 07:47:17 PM »
In Reply To #15

The same thing could be said for her replacin Trevor who was the first Belmont BEFORE she was invented. Your just mad cause you got this weird fascination with IGA bein sexist

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 11:37:38 PM »
In Reply To #15

You make it sound like Leon beats her like an abusive boyfriend! She sacrificed herself willingly to help him. He never forces her! Geez, get over it, Sonia is no longer the first Belmont, Leon is. And until you have 100% truth, its kind of rude to go around claiming someone is sexist, or really any kind of prejudice.

In Reply To #13

All of that is fan speculation. Nowhere in the game does it say that Alucard is the father of her baby. Why the fuck won't people get that through their heads.

Fair enough, this is never said, but it is implied that they have had some sort of romantic involvement. Its pretty easy to see it was probably meant this way
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 02:13:21 PM »
Sonia was removed from the time line when he made it because her game contradicted other established events and known dates from previous games.

Given the rest of the posts you've made in this thread though, I can see where you would blindly ignore facts like these in an effort to further your baseless arguments.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 02:15:31 PM by uzo »

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: NITM is still better than SOTN!
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »
Back on topic, I can't say whether NitM is better than SotN.  NitM had all three characters available from the beginning, But has a slow loading time and seems glitchy.  Even though the PSP version of SotN had Maria as a playable character, she had the same moves as in RoB (which I think are a little childish).  Why couldn't they give her the moves that she had in NitM.  Those moves were awesome from what I could see.  They were just a little overpowered.
Here is how I would have made Maria for the PSP version of SotN:
1) She would have the special moves and not subweapons
2) The special moves would use hearts instead of using a magic meter
3) The damage done by those moves would be reduced compared to what they do in NitM
4) She would only have a double jump
5) She wouldn't have the invincibility move
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
I call it NITM because it's easier to reference that way since USA Saturn never got it.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 10:25:46 AM »
The whole Maria not being in SotN could very well have been due to time restraints.

It was. IGA already mentioned it in a DXC interview. He said they were going to add something in that they couldn't on the PSX, because of time issues.

Offline Saner

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 11:25:38 PM »
Sonia was removed from the time line when he made it because her game contradicted other established events and known dates from previous games.

well that's a stupid reason to replace her.  and further proves IGA is sexist.  cause instead of just reworking the story, he completely made a new character. 

He could have used Sonia for LOI and just reworked her story. he didn't have to blow her off entirely.  She wasn't
the problem, it was just what you said, her game's story contradicted events and dates.    Not the character herself.

so there. 

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 12:59:47 AM »
I'm one who thinks NitM (Saturn) didn't need to be made, and that it only kinda tarnishes or at least threatens the awareness of SotN, which is a far better version of the game. But that was then, when SotN was still fighting to survive on the charts, now of course not much can stop the word of mouth about how good SotN is. Still I feel a little sorry for those players that play NitM instead. It really should only be experienced after playing SotN, because NitM has some pretty apparent flaws that hold it back from reaching SotN's greatness.

But since it IS there, I do think every SotN fan should at least try it.

The new content is mostly forgettable, sans the Cursed Prison -- a new bridge between Marble Gallery and Underground Waterway -- for giving us both a new shortcut and a fantastic eerie pipe organ dirge through Chaconne c moll.

The new sprites are laughably cartoony and the new remixes are washed out and too cross-genre. I wouldn't say they're even near as good as their originals from their respective games, and a few don't even go with the settings they're placed in. Not to mention that a couple of these remixes are just remixes of themselves.

Then there's the extra loading (the intermission rooms are used poorly) and sloppy map interface (you have to go into the menu first), and the graphics are noticably worse in parts as well, especially with transparencies (fog n' stuff).

And while Maria is absolutely kickass, her game gets boring quickly as she is too overpowered and there isn't much that can stop her. So despite DXC's dumbing down of her repertoire, it's a much more rewarding quest at least. It can be fun just to goof around with NitM's Maria, (That sounds dirty :3 ), but DXC's Maria also fits better with her girlish personality from RoB, and so it makes more sense in a lot of ways. The two different aged versions of her in DXC even share some moves.

There is also a new feature to 'hold' a readied item in the right hand, so you can theoretically down a potion in realtime during a fight. The problem with this is, you're finger is likely to slip at some point and waste something important, but at least KCEN saw the shortcomings in the menu's delay and tried to compensate.

In NitM's case, it seems bigger is not better. Most added content was unnecessary as it doesn't really enhance the value that already was SotN -- which in my mind was a near perfectly-crafted game -- and in many ways it might actually detract from it. The new stuff feels tacked on, unpolished and questionable, and the solid engine of SotN is tainted with small oversights and interface snafus.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Saner

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 08:05:46 AM »
mew mew mew!!!

its debatable whether the added content is worthwhile or not,
but many people play NITM cause it has more despite the
technical tidbits, and they still have more fun than SOTN,
which to me feels incomplete.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 01:24:33 PM »
well that's a stupid reason to replace her.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 02:38:16 PM »
well that's a stupid reason to replace her.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 02:45:29 PM »
In Reply To #24

How does it "feel incomplete"?

Offline kevinski

• Vampire Hunter
  • Hunter in Training
    • kevinski.com
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 07:56:15 AM »
The loading times in the Saturn version (aside from maybe the boss loading times) aren't LONGER; they're just handled differently. The CD rooms in the Saturn version don't even trigger the loading sequences until AFTER you reach the very end of them. I believe that the CD rooms just became a staple of the series in the end, anyway, though, because it seems as though they've been kept in newer games, even though newer games of this type haven't been released on disc-based systems.

I do feel that the Saturn version of NitM/SotN is the best, though. Really, I stand behind anyone who says that the PlayStation, PSN, PSP and XBLA versions are incomplete, because they ARE incomplete. Until there's something of consequence underneath the trap door at the beginning of the game, that game IS NOT complete.

And I couldn't stand playing as PSP Maria. First off, she's severely underpowered. Secondly, she'd get hit and knocked back by ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the inverted caverns when I played. Annoying.
---
[ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Xbox Live | kevinski com ]

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 01:35:10 PM »
The loading times in the Saturn version (aside from maybe the boss loading times) aren't LONGER; they're just handled differently. The CD rooms in the Saturn version don't even trigger the loading sequences until AFTER you reach the very end of them.

That's the whole point of the CD rooms: as you walked through them in SotN, the game WAS loading so that you didn't have to wait for it when you reached the end of it. In NitM Saturn, you have to wait for the loading even after using your time to walk through the room.

And, yes, you do have to go into the menu to view the map each time: another messy delay, and yet another hidden load time is present when you attempt to go back to the game from it.

There's also extra slow-down when too many enemies are present, and some areas have staggered loading within themselves, like they have to load a new section.

NONE OF THIS was present in SotN.  You could say neither were the additions of the other things like music and playable Maria, but what I'm saying is SotN never needed them (except Maria). They just feel out of place, unbalanced and unnatural. Even the new music.

Maria's great: she's a power goddess with a fucking triple jump, but it's her assets that devalue the purpose of the secondary quests in the first place, which were to give a more classic CV run for the same castle. But her game turns out to be a challengeless, and thus uninteresting 10-minute frolic of completely owning everything onscreen. She's so deadly that's it IS fun just to witness all the destruction and the various ways she deals it... for awhile. But when you realize that's it's nothing but an unstoppable linear romp from one room to the next with no obstacles or satisfaction from accomplishing any goals... well you tend to feel unsatisfied.

It's like equipping Soma with the Panther, Bat and and fireball souls (I don't remember the real name of the fireball one) -- YEAH it's a blast to tear through areas near the end of the game, and it's a much quicker way to get around, but would you feel satisfied playing a whole game of that? I don't think so.

Maria can triple-jump over everything -- every attack, projectile and platform. She can also wholly defend any incoming damage and she can deal a flurry of punches and kicks from a safe distance.

If you thought RICHTER'S game was shallow, imagine raping that of any challenge whatsoever, but with the same featureless, storyless, streamlined castle.

Yay.

Offline Saner

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2009, 04:01:09 PM »
In Reply To #25

wtf you mean she wouldn't be able to pass on the Belmont name?  wtf.  you sound sexist too.

Tags: