Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: November 2014 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest  (Read 63459 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: November 2014 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« Reply #180 on: December 04, 2014, 08:16:14 PM »
Well, I can't say I'm surprised there. I told you you likely had it, plot.  ;)

Congrats to everyone else who placed!

And to answer your question, uzo, it wasn't my intention going in, but yes, I did wind up going with a sort of SNES style. When I do superbig sprites like this that tends to come out on its own. I blame it on the Statue of the Gods from FFVI.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #181 on: December 04, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »
Congratulations to all the winners!
The first page has been modified to show this.

How about "Popular Vote" (via poll) counts as one of the Judges?
The poll locks the day a contest end.

I'm going with Jorge's thoughts on the poll with a one day lock. Then we have the judges a few days to collect their thoughts and give out a verdict.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #182 on: December 04, 2014, 10:52:21 PM »
Congrats to all of you!

I really like plot's entry, it really feels like a CV final boss. I also liked the other entries but they were not as fitting as this (D9's felt more like a RPG boss, and Kaos' looked much like Satan). The other one were also cool, but not as epic as the other ones.

Nice job! I'm glad I didn't enter LOL (but I'll crush you all with that music contest, mwahahaha /sarcasm). :)

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2014, 12:22:50 AM »
Congrats to all the winners! I had a blast participating and also learned a lot while making my own sprite.
With that in mind I'd also like to give a big thanks to the judges for their efforts and their commentary, I'll try to do better next time.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2014, 06:27:33 AM »
 :o

I must say I'm extremelly surprised. It was an honor to compete with you dudes.

Dracula9:
Your entry scared the hell out of my soul for its sheer size and detail. I love the ivory-like texture on the wings. I mean, it may not have been your intention, but the wings give me the impression that they are made of a smooth stone-like material.

As I mentioned, I also though about going with the dragon motif, and even did sketches on it, but figured that I couldn't pull it off on the context I wanted, and I'd never be able to pull it off on this magnitude.

Incredible job on texturing this monstruosity, and amazing display of patience.

Kaonstantine:
Your entry is ridiculously well done. The part I specially love is the lighting on the wings and boots. Young Dracula is a concept that is too underexplored on the series, and Konami could benefit lots from it. Well, if they pulled it off as well as you did, that is. When I saw it, after Dracula9's entry, I though I was done for.

I've posted about your artwork on my Facebook, and it was unanimous among my friends that you two have uncanny pixelling skill. You dudes rock, not only those who placed, but everyone who joined the contest: Jop, Donvermicell and  ZeroSaberGreen. I look foward to be scared like this again!
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2014, 06:38:11 AM »
I mean, it may not have been your intention, but the wings give me the impression that they are made of a smooth stone-like material.

Maybe not actual stone, but that was the sort of texture I was going for. Armor plating or something. The Genesis-esque shading on the wing exteriors only sold that look more.

EDIT: Also, it might be for the best if trophy awards were only displayed once per item, and each individual contest ranking is displayed on that award's group page. Otherwise, I foresee people have eighty-six bats and Deaths pouring down from their profile.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2014, 06:40:27 AM »
People can choose what award to put in the box...
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2014, 06:44:22 AM »
First I've heard.

*scurries off to see*

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #188 on: December 05, 2014, 07:16:31 AM »
Those Sprite Awards look real good in the boxes now! ;D

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: December 05, 2014, 07:44:08 AM »
The Awards Box system is set up such that you can choose which awards to show in the box, by going to your Forum Profile and on the left go to the "Show Awards" option.

It will show you a list of all the awards you have.  If you click on the little green Plus Sign next on the right side of an award's row, you can choose to put it in your box.  This is useful if you have more than the five or so awards you can normally fit in a box.

The box doesn't grow (I didn't want members to have 50+ icons on their row, plus it also starts to mess up the posts' layout), so once the box is full you can swap out awards.  You don't 'have' to have all your sprite awards.

However, if you have fewer awards than what the box holds, it'll automagically have those.  So people who only have one award have no choice but to have that one award in their box (you can't choose to hide them, but if you have more than what fits in the box, you can choose which ones to show).

I hope that makes sense.

Needless to say, an up-and-coming award-less forum member who does nothing but win contest awards will have nothing but contest awards in their box, at least until the box is full.  I personally don't mind seeing the cool animated bats, reapers, and medusaheads.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: December 05, 2014, 07:58:07 AM »
I don't have any green checks. Just a green plus to favorite that award.

I'm assuming the check doesn't show up until one has more awards than the box can normally hold?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: December 05, 2014, 08:33:02 AM »
I said "Green Plus Sign", not "Green Check"...
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2014, 10:11:19 PM »
Congrats to everyone.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: December 06, 2014, 10:08:47 AM »
I know that still i have a long road to go but its feel good to know that im improving in little things and I know that my works still need practice in part of pose and you are the 1st darkman to tell me about the weight and its cool since i start to see what i can do about that and every time I make a sprite its to learn something new and thats help me a lot, Congratulations for the winners.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2014, 10:21:45 AM »
I know that still i have a long road to go but its feel good to know that im improving in little things and I know that my works still need practice in part of pose and you are the 1st darkman to tell me about the weight and its cool since i start to see what i can do about that and every time I make a sprite its to learn something new and thats help me a lot, Congratulations for the winners.

No prob. Just sprite nothing but legs in dynamic poses and see how that goes. 

As I mentioned before studying Spiderman would be a good start...

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

anything