Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Gotta clean 'em up  (Read 3280 times)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« on: December 24, 2008, 06:36:07 AM »
So, I have a variety of games bought in the 80's and 90's, not to mention systems and controllers that need to be cleaned up. None of them have ever actually been cleaned. On the contrary, the usual "maintenance" method has been blowing into the cartridges and slots. Needless to say, all this retro stuff needs some loving. The systems, games and controllers are (for): Sega Megadrive, NES, SNES and N64.

What do you recommend? I have been browsing eBay for a kit that includes the keys needed to open the systems and games, swabs, cleaning fluids etc. Is the NES Cleaning Cartridge actually woth something or just another fancy trinket / collector oddity? I don't expect to get the systems clean from dust and oxidation with a simple cleaning cassette, but if it's actually useful in keeping the cassette slot clean to a degree, it might be nice.

But in short: I need a cleaning set for mah retro stuff. Most of my systems and games are PAL. But the keys open any systems and cassette regardless of the region, right?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 06:38:45 AM by A-Yty »

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 02:06:47 PM »
It's all about rubbing alcohol.

Seriously, the stuff is a miracle agent when it comes to cleaning electronics, especially old cartridges and systems as you described. Get yourself some rubbing alcohol, a lot of q-tips, and use it on the contacts. I did this with my NES cartridge stash, and I was simultaneously pleased and mortified with how much crap rubbed off on the cotton swabs. The games play perfectly, though, as do my old systems whose contacts I have cleaned in this fashion. I've never needed a system-specific cleaning kit since.

Be careful not to get it on the cartridge labels, though. They sort of "evaporate" the ink on it.

As for opening up the cartridges, though... I'm not sure on how to do that. I haven't needed to, actually, except on my copy of Beyond Oasis, which needs a new backup battery.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 02:12:32 PM by Munchy »

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 11:38:55 PM »
So, I have a variety of games bought in the 80's and 90's, not to mention systems and controllers that need to be cleaned up. None of them have ever actually been cleaned. On the contrary, the usual "maintenance" method has been blowing into the cartridges and slots. Needless to say, all this retro stuff needs some loving. The systems, games and controllers are (for): Sega Megadrive, NES, SNES and N64.

for the nes there's an easy fix. The lockout chip is what causes all the issues because if the dirt blocks the chip from recognizing the games it causes the blinking screen. There's a real simple 2 minute mod that people have videoized on ebay to deactivate the chip and the nes success rate for dirty games goes up to the snes level.

Most of my systems and games are PAL. But the keys open any systems and cassette regardless of the region, right?

If the consoles are pal that creates a problem, pal consoles run on the euro standard 220volt outlet as opposed to the 110 outlet of the us (figures might be slightly off).
All you should have to get is a special black adapter that plugs into an existing outlet that converts from 110 to 220 (again figures could be wrong). Should be pretty easy to come across on ebay. You should be able to use just rubbing alcohol at that point homes.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 08:55:37 AM »
In Reply To #3

Well, I live in the PAL region, so the outlet is not a problem (until I get some NTSC and JAP machines, which I intend to. C64 and Amiga, for example cost a shitload here, so I'll likely import them from USA). I was just wondering if I can open any region's machine or game with one key.

The cartridge screws all seemed to be similar when I compared an NTSC game and a PAL game (both for NES).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 08:57:50 AM by A-Yty »

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 11:46:59 AM »
In Reply To #3

Well, I live in the PAL region, so the outlet is not a problem (until I get some NTSC and JAP machines, which I intend to. C64 and Amiga, for example cost a shitload here, so I'll likely import them from USA).

oh okay, thought you were from us for some reason.

I was just wondering if I can open any region's machine or game with one key.

I don't think so. I know later on nintendo started using different types of screws for each console. The old gameboy had the weirdest type with 3 slits on the head converging together. I believe the older consoles and games close to the nes' launch and before jus used regular screws.

_______________________________________ ______________

Tags:

anything