Who won E3 2009?

Microsoft
4 (28.6%)
Nintendo
4 (28.6%)
Sony
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Who won E3 2009?  (Read 3699 times)

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Who won E3 2009?
« on: June 03, 2009, 01:51:58 PM »
Surprisingly, I personally found the final conference, Sony's, to be the most entertaining. The fact that it didn't show that much that was actually new doesn't take away from it being the most well put together, executed and paced. Sony constantly kept it going by talking less and showing more. Kudos for overcoming the PSP GO leak by revealing those amazing motion controllers (well probably amazing anyway). The sword and shield demo made me dream of what things like the Elderscrolls series could actually become one day.

It's a much better formula than Nintendo's "let's speak for awhile after every little announcement, and let's be sure to speak alot during them." Cammi and Reggie might have commanding presences, but they fail to get you into what they're selling. The announcements of 2 new Marios and a fantastic new Metroid trailer were really the only saviors here. Nintedno's conference was all over the place, jumping from Mario to Wii Fit to DS to some weird finger device, unexplained... but it was certianly better than last year's debacle or Ubisoft's complete-waste-of-your-time show. Minus points on not only no Wii Zelda info, but no new info for SPirit Tracks either. Zelda was entirely ignored -- BOO!

And Microsoft had a very strong hand the first day, but Sony's conference took a lot of its thunder away. Aside of wasting too much time focusing on The Beatles Rock Band -- hey I love that band but Ringo's and Paul's appearance felt so forced and unnecessary -- the announcement of MGS finally coming to 360 was nearly shattered the next day when we learned that MGS: Rising wouldn't be 360 exclusive and that Kojima appeared to be much more heavily involved in the "official" sequel for the franchise on PSP, Peace Walker, and actually had something to show for it. Project Natal was the untouchable silver lining, because if Peter Molyneux is telling the truth, it aims to do very unique things with motion-recognition technology. I suppose if you're a Halo fan, two new announced games for the franchise is certainly something to be excited for... but I'm not.

So this is my list in order of best to not:

- Sony
- Microsoft
- Nintendo
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:56:48 PM by A n t r a x x »

"Observe their fates and learn well."

octocrissy

Re: Who won E3 2009?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 07:53:22 PM »
Microsoft did start with their engines blazing, but I noticed too many peripheral devices (most of which will only use a handful of games and cost a pretty penny).

Sony didn't have anything new to show for themselves that wasn't already known. I think they coasted through it at best.

Nintendo flat out sucked this year with the exception of announcing a new Metroid, Mario, and the promise of another Zelda, but even with a new Metroid, Mario, and Zelda its just what it is, a new Metroid, Mario, and Zelda.

My vote was for Microsoft because I felt they brought the most new and unknown to the stage for show and tell.

Kojima is the obvious winner. With the exception of Nintendo, he just made every other console owner a very happy camper all three days so far.

Offline bobby digital

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:44:31 PM »
Sony won.  Natal is interesting but considering Sony's was a live tech demo that showed potential game application rather than a video of what Natal can do for throwing paint at a screen I'll give them more credit.  In addition they nailed their game showing.

Microsoft didn't really bring anything new and I really can't say I'm excited about anything shown other than Alan Wake, MGS and Mass Effect 2.  And this is coming from a 360 owner.

Nintendo...all I need to say is heartbeat sensor? Really?

But if I really had to pick, Kojima by a longshot.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 06:50:22 AM »
The whole thing was a big yawn for me.  Do we really need to celebrate more of the same every year?  New motion controls.  New PSP.  New Metal Gears.  New Mario Galaxy. Etc... The only thing that looked really new to me were Tema Ninja's Metroid and Kojima's Castlevania --but even then we see decades old franchise names used as a crutch.  Is that really the best these guys can do?  Pathetic...

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 07:22:31 AM »
I'm going to have to go with Sony on this one. Just a nice selection of quality titles and innovation, from God of War III to that Modracers title.

Project Natal looks pretty interesting, though.

With the exception of Metroid: Other M, I was underwhelmed by Nintendo.
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 04:02:52 PM »
Personally I'm really excited for Mario Galaxy 2, too. The best 3D Mario, and one of the best games ever in the series gets, what looks to be in every way, a worthy sequel.

I'm glad they didn't abandon the space concept so fast because there's so much you can do with it. Miyamoto stated this as the sole reason for revisiting the engine.

On the other hand, it might also be because they don't know how to top Galaxy with something bigger, and this buys them some time in that regard.

NEW Super Mario Bros. looks fun, but it hasn't really excited me yet. It looks too simplified and... well... easy.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 05:26:06 PM »

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 02:31:57 AM »
I'll buy a Wii when the new Metroid comes out. Till then, i'll wait watching awesome trailers like this one!!!!
Ruler of Chaos

Tags:

anything