Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Which gameplay engine do you like best for CV?  (Read 6775 times)

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
Which gameplay engine do you like best for CV?
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:10:10 PM »
I imagine that this post could get closed but I will ask this question anyway. The series has had many different game play engine types I guess you could say. I was wondering which do you prefer? There is the original game (CV, IV and Chronicles) the open range games (Simon's Quest, I suppose you could put LOD and CV64 in there too as day/night elements are very crucial) the Metroidvanias as they are so aptly labled(SOTN,AOS,COTM etc.) and the ones I like to call Zeldavanias (LOI and COD which play a lot like Zelda IMO).
I am a fan of the second game as an overall winner. So tell me what do you like.  8) ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 06:05:31 PM by Shin_Guard_Ian »

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Which gameplay engine do you like best for CV?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:48:58 PM »
CV should use the Quake 3 engine. The physics are insane :o

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:36:03 PM »
oldshool engine. I like that one over the metroidvania one.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:38:53 PM »
I vote for the 64 games' engine. It was pretty good as it was but with some perfecting, it could be...well, PERFECT!

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:42:39 PM »
I vote for the 64 games' engine. It was pretty good as it was but with some perfecting, it could be...well, PERFECT!

oooh I forgot about that one, yeah it was awesome. I love it even with it's flaws. I don't know why everybody I know hates those 2 games so much. I love the 64 games. No symphony of the night or dracula's curse no, but they are still great games.
_______________________________________ ______________

MidnightSun

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 11:09:22 PM »
Metroidvania style, and it's not even close.

I like the original Castlevanias, but I honestly wouldn't put any of them even in the my top 20 favorite games (this isn't a bannable offense, is it?).

Truthfully until SOTN, I didn't have much interest in the CV series, and without the 6 Metroidvania titles, I still don't...

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 02:10:36 AM »
I would love to have another game like Simon's Quest! It's probably my favorite game in the series.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 03:56:14 AM »

:) :) :)
Ruler of Chaos

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 10:14:27 AM »
Classic CV all the way.  I love SotN and all, but it was CV1 & CV4 that got me into the series.  DXC was the best thing to happen to the series in years.

VampireHunterM

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 03:04:23 PM »
In Reply To #5 Agreed.

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 03:54:29 PM »
I thought Castlevania II was the best game. It had atmosphere looks and ambiance. It was only missing more diversified challenge and more diversified backgrounds. If they had done the the game like Zelda II the Adventure of Link you wouldn't have the angry video game nerd posting a game bashing video or if you combined the first three games into one game you have the true Castlevania. Of course the game would not be able to hit on the level of musical superiority of Super CV IV or Chronicles or SOTN. I agree with the posts about CV64 having potential and that DracX for PSP being a breakthrough. I would like to see more games like the PSP game with the backgrounds done the way they were.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 06:04:02 PM by Shin_Guard_Ian »

A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"

Offline Ed Oscuro

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 04:00:12 PM »
i like to shot them with steak gun

like in Nitemare 3D (by dr. gray)

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
In Reply To #1

Metroid. Classic is close second and I just don't like Simon's quest. As of now, there's really no good enjoyable to play game in that format. But if a good one was made like that in 3D, it would be cool. Maybe Castlevania fused with the Legend of Zelda, instead of fused with Metroid. That would rock.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 07:52:50 PM »
In Reply To #1

Metroid. Classic is close second and I just don't like Simon's quest. As of now, there's really no good enjoyable to play game in that format. But if a good one was made like that in 3D, it would be cool. Maybe Castlevania fused with the Legend of Zelda, instead of fused with Metroid. That would rock.
Well don't you think that that has aleady been done with LOI and COD? I don't think those two games are like the  Metroidvania's. There is a map a lot like Zelda. There are doors to unlock a lot like Zelda. There is a place to buy weapons and health (that is certainly not in Metroid). I have stated that I believe Simon's Quest is like the Adventure of Link and Battle of Olympus sans the bosses and challenge. I suppose you could say that Metroid and Zelda are mirror images of one another.  With all that said I agree with you.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 02:59:33 PM »
In Reply To #14

Good points, but Those games are so dark and enclosed. When I say Zelda, I mean, big open fields, possible some sort of creature to ride on to travel distances, occasionally coming to castles, fortresses, temples and dungeons, big towns and palaces, meeting royal familes, kings, gueens, princesses of other nations, only to finally make it to Castlevania in the end. Not like the one in Simons Quest, I mean a huge, really awesome Castlevania.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Tags: