Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I don't get the "LoS isn't a CV game" thing  (Read 26048 times)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: I don't get the "LoS isn't a CV game" thing
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2012, 06:22:37 AM »
Has anyone noticed I haven't used the word serious once?
About as serious as a young girl would be perceived to be in 1993.
Actually...
(Yeah, I might be missing the actual point here. LOL)
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2012, 08:15:18 AM »
Err, sorry. My mistake. I meant to say I haven't used the word serious in gauging the worth of the art in a Castlevania game.

You caught me there, haha.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
Actually I wouldn't mind at all seeing the old anime art style used in the Japanese port of CVII. It's still anime but it has that serious tone to it. Plus Simon looks almost like something you'd see out of Fist of the north Star. In my mind it would be refreshing. But I also liked OoE's art style. I would also like to see it come back again.

just bring Ayami Kojima back on track and we won't be seeing these cheap, childish anime illustrations no more..

As much as I love the artstyle; specifically the amount of intricate detail she puts into her illustrations, the whole prettyboy concept is getting very old and tiring, really fast. All the males look androgynous with little to no individuality. And of course the villain Issac comes off as a bit of a homo *COUGH*kisses-Trevor-on-the-cheek*COUGH* The women I've got no complaints about. They're beautiful. If Ayami Kojima were to come back the let her handle drawing the backgrounds and woman characters but let another artist do the guys.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2012, 11:44:59 AM »
Oh man, now we're scrutinizing the art of LoS against everything else in the series?

Lets ask ourselves this - name me a classic gaming franchise that has had consistent art across it's entire existence and hasn't had some questionable choices in style. There's a few of them, but there's a lot more that are the same as Castlevania. That's what happens when you get a series that's lasted 25+ years - not everything's going to stay the same. Trying different styles of design is not uncommon - look at Legend of Zelda. Whether it's a good choice or bad is a matter of opinion. (unless it's Judgment, which I'm fairly certain was universally panned as horrible character design-wise....so hey, agreement there!)

The artwork and character design choices of games are a bit more malleable than the music, in terms of what fans are able to tolerate when it comes to deviation. (I know I personally tend to be more critical of music deviations, oddly enough) I like Ayami Kojima's designs, but also liked Masaki Hirooka's design style and what Juan Antonio Alcázar and Jose Luis Vaello did for Lords of Shadow. Seeing how other's interpret characters in different perspectives is kind of a fun and interesting thing to see for me, honestly, with my being an artist.

Again...except Judgment. Obata should never have been allowed to touch something so different from what his normal element is, and therefore something that was never destined to mesh well.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2012, 11:55:23 AM »
When people will learn that vgmuseum doesn't allow hotlinking? Or at least will check their posts to see if links provided actually work as they should?

On the topic: whatever art artists made that wasn't included in the game, it doesn't have any impact on the atmosphere of the game itself.
And CV1 have this nice piece of art in the manual.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2012, 12:00:32 PM »
Lets ask ourselves this - name me a classic gaming franchise that has had consistent art across it's entire existence and hasn't had some questionable choices in style.

I've got one for you Sindra - Dragon Quest.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lucius J. Belmont

• Bathrobe Werewolf
  • Hunter in Training
  • stronger, more resilient than a spider
    • im mike jones
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2012, 05:15:41 PM »
I was a bit disappointed with the generic anime-ness of PoR, but I'm completely baffled that RoB isn't getting the same response. Hearing Maria yell ~YATTA!~ makes me squirm every time, and I still growl 'Ore wa Richter Belmondo' to my roommate from time to time for hilarity's sake. Iiiiii don't think any of that was done 'tongue-in-cheek'. I think it's just horrifically dated anime style shoe-horned in to a Japanese franchise, completely unsurprising. Note how that could also have described PoR.

I like barbarian-belmont CVs, chiptunes, plots that don't involve high schoolers, but... I'm not gonna complain about Soma and weird time travelling eclipse plots, or crap about the crusades or WWI; I'll save my spleen ventage for Lords of Shadow being a God of War clone, if it is, which I find tiresome in every game. Basically, while I like some art styles or plot styles or music styles more than others, only gameplay can really make or break a CV for me, and I haven't messed with LoS enough yet to make the call. Enjoyable and at least slightly innovative gameplay is the only really consistent thing from the series, and that's what makes me grit my teeth and put up with the cringe-worthy things. If it has that, I'd say it's a Castlevania game.
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2012, 05:54:15 PM »
When people will learn that vgmuseum doesn't allow hotlinking? Or at least will check their posts to see if links provided actually work as they should?

sorry, I didn't even know what hotlinking was until I made that post & I assumed the images were just not showing for my IP address or something like that.In my defense it's not like there is a warning prominently displayed on the website that says no hotlinking allowed.

the topic: whatever art artists made that wasn't included in the game, it doesn't have any impact on the atmosphere of the game itself
So then all of Ayami Kojima's artwork save for a few mugshots contributed nothing toward the way you perceived the games she has done work for? and Iga was just wasting his time when he decided to change the image of castlevania by changing it's art style?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:58:41 PM by C Belmont »

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2012, 07:34:27 AM »
And of course the villain Issac comes off as a bit of a homo *COUGH*kisses-Trevor-on-the-cheek*COUGH*

That was probably the least gay thing Isaac did. Kissing your enemy before defeating him is more like saying "fuck you, I win" instead of something sexual. Then again, Isaac being Isaac, he did it in a very gay way.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2012, 12:00:03 PM »
So then all of Ayami Kojima's artwork save for a few mugshots contributed nothing toward the way you perceived the games she has done work for? and Iga was just wasting his time when he decided to change the image of castlevania by changing it's art style?
Not really. Her art for this game consist mostly from full body portraits, which parts were used for the game. So there is not much difference, between seeing full body portrait or just a mugshot - the style is the same. So, in the end, the only art that counts is the one that was included in the game.

Second part of your question is some icomprehensible stuff, to say the least. There is enough to impact style of the game with mugshots and game cover. There is a reason why DOS and POR regarded as they are. And there are plenty of good additional art for the POR, that wasn't used in the game.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2012, 02:24:40 PM »

On the topic: whatever art artists made that wasn't included in the game, it doesn't have any impact on the atmosphere of the game itself.
And CV1 have this nice piece of art in the manual.
Well, you know, there are a lot artists on the teams than just Ayami Kojima. There's all the concept artists like Vallejo who create art that the game's final graphics take inspiration from. Curse of Darkness has a large handful of art dedicated to the Innocent Devils and numerous background art-pieces that were featured in-game.

Plus, with lead illustrators like Kojima, the art of the game usually reflects that in trying to be consistent with what it evokes. Hence, the difference in atmosphere in games like Lament of Innocence and Portrait of Ruin. And it wasn't just because of mugshots.

Though honestly, with DS games, they tend to be pretty confused and mix up a ton of sprite styles anyway.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2012, 09:41:27 AM »
Backtracking was a staple of Megaman X.

Now Capcom is making Castlevania games too! ... Over a decade before LOS.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »
Curse of Darkness has a large handful of art dedicated to the Innocent Devils and numerous background art-pieces that were featured in-game.
Then, there are part of the game itself. Hence they directly influence the game.

There's all the concept artists like Vallejo who create art that the game's final graphics take inspiration from.
Than it doesn't matter.
The only thing matters that were included in the game itself. I don't see how random art, not related to the game, could influence on impressions from it.

For example, there is no need to be familliar with Valeggio art to see Simon Belmont as big barbarian guy in Castlevania 1. He maybe based on his art, but why does it matter? He is depicted as Conan-type guy and that's it. Knowing the inspiration doesn't change how he would be preceived in imagination of the player, instead of blocky brown sprite.

The same thing with Kojima's work in IGAvanias. Knowing her additional art for that game doesn't change level of appreciation of what was included in the game.

Plus, with lead illustrators like Kojima, the art of the game usually reflects that in trying to be consistent with what it evokes.
It's arguable, to say the least. While art for the Aria was in the same vein as her work for the SOTN and HOD the game itself was much more brighter, almost neon-cartoonish (but not as acidic as HOD).

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2012, 11:16:11 PM »
Vallejo's art IS in game, as the character/bestiary/moves list/'relics' sections.

Also the loading screen narrations.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline pimp dracula

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2012, 03:52:57 AM »
Backtracking was a staple of Megaman X.

Now Capcom is making Castlevania games too! ... Over a decade before LOS.
Not saying Megaman X ripped castlevania since they are both released with only two months difference but....

Rondo of Blood - October 29, 1993 (JP)

Megaman X - December 17, 1993 (JP)

The sonic comparison is more valid than your megaman x arguement.

Tags:

anything