Poll

Which is your favourite version of the original Castlevania game?

Castlevania (1986, NES)
7 (19.4%)
Vampire Killer (1986, MSX2)
0 (0%)
Haunted Castle (1988, Arcade)
0 (0%)
Super Castlevania IV (1991, SNES)
26 (72.2%)
Castlevania Chronicles (2001, PS)
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Best version of Castlevania  (Read 20988 times)

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Wolfman
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Best version of Castlevania
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 06:56:30 PM »
only if you use holy water on everybody, death is insanely tough if you don't soak him.

Why wouldn't you use holy water on Death, or any other boss for which it's particularly effective in the original NES Castlevania?  Don't you always try to use the best strategy for a given situation when you play videogames?

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 01:59:32 AM »
Why wouldn't you use holy water on Death, or any other boss for which it's particularly effective in the original NES Castlevania?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 02:07:48 AM by The Last Belmont »
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 05:56:50 AM »
no, I generally use the one that offers me the most fun. Now if I'm just trying to finish the game then I'll use the best strategy but it sucks all the challenge out to just soak all the bosses to death I like challenging boss fights. I've even taken drac down using just the whip. (granted it took 3 hours)

But, you're just artificially inflating the difficulty by imposing restrictions on how you play the game.  The original Castlevania is easy because there is a very effective and legitimate strategy you can use to overcome a majority of the bosses in the game.  You can make any game "really hard" by imposing enough gameplay restrictions on yourself, i.e. no extra weapons, no power ups, no continues/extra lives, etc.

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
In Reply To #18
So, wait.  Are you telling him how he must play and enjoy his video games, or something?  I never saw him say the original Castlevania wasn't easy.

EDIT:

To add to that, I don't think Castlevania is necessarily an easy game.  It is possible to get really good at it, but I wouldn't call it outright easy.  Someone that's performed a root canal 200 times may find doing so easy, but is it an easy thing to do in and of itself?  Probably not.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 11:26:23 AM by Blue Successor »

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 11:55:23 AM »
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 11:58:07 AM by Wolfman Jake »

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 12:54:45 PM »
I agree with Wolfman Jake. Why would you cause yourself pain and frustration? For me, having the most fun in a game is where there is no difficulty and I actually beat it without losing all my hair.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 01:01:56 PM »
Difficulty makes thigns fun, as long as you don't get pissed off ad frustrated. That is why people make their own challenges for games they think is too easy.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 01:04:24 PM »
But, you're just artificially inflating the difficulty by imposing restrictions on how you play the game.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »
In Reply To #23

I don't think its a glitch, its more of somehting that they probably didn't forsee giving death that type of weakness where he is frozen when hit.

EDIT: Its like giving an enemmy a good AI, but the enemy, when falls gets up slowly and the player has an attack that knocks him back down. Cheap, and effective, and probably unforeseen by the ai/game/character desginers.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 01:07:24 PM »
Difficulty makes thigns fun, as long as you don't get pissed off ad frustrated.

Exactly

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 03:01:39 PM »
Dude the death holy water trick is a glitch, I don't think the programmers meant for death to be killed that way and it's boring. It's more fun to take him out with an ax or cross. I prefer to beat a game the way the programmers intended and I get a real sense of accomplishment. And I don't think it would be considered handicapping myself if I prefer to go into the boss fights with another subweapon other than holy water.

You really don't know how the creators intended you to defeat Death, or even they had ANY preconceived idea of how you "should" or should not do it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 03:03:11 PM by Wolfman Jake »

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 03:19:42 PM »
You really don't know how the creators intended you to defeat Death, or even they had ANY preconceived idea of how you "should" or should not do it.

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 03:41:25 PM by Wolfman Jake »

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 04:28:18 PM »
See?  Right here you're making a judgment about the proper way to fight Death in NES Castlevania.  On the one hand, you claim that everyone is free to play however they want, but you also believe that "you really haven't beaten the game if you just soak death and he can't do anything."  That sounds a LOT like telling people the "right" way to play the game.

but it's not it's common sense, everything isn't black and white. Konami at the time had a habit of making hard games, look at the MSX castlevania for proof. I'm sure if they knew death could be beat like that they would have fixed the game. If you beat death with the water trick you haven't even given him a chance to attack or do anything, it's like poisoning someone your fighting against, yeah you won the fight but you didn't overpower and beat the guy. I'm not gonna waste anymore time arguing this cuz it's obvious you won't listen to anybody and twist everything they say around to try and prove your own point(s). And no I never said my way was the "proper" way to play it, people can play it however they want.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 04:53:36 PM »
For those of you who are saying CV1 is easy...how many times did you play the game before you beat it?  How did you find out about the Holy Water trick?  How far did you get on your first game?  Your second, and third?

Any game becomes easy after you've played through it enough to master the controls and the tricks, and you've memorized enemy and item locations.

Tags:

anything