Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Just another Castlevania fan-game...  (Read 66790 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »
Your stop points for stairs should be for two stairs, since your tiles use two steps per tile.
EDIT: Actually, you're probably just fine with one step.  Nevermind. IGNORE ME! :P
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:31:11 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »
Always good to see new projects pop up around here. A lot of the criticism I had was addressed here already, but I am curious about the start menu you have. I think it is a good idea, it looks like it allows up to 3 or 4 items per row (Whip, Item, and Extra). Does this imply that as opposed to the ClassicVanias, the player will be able to hold multiple whips and sub-weapons at any given time and select them at will? If so, I think that's a good mechanic to work with. Perhaps you can make it more visibly apparent that each labeled row text is just there to separate the 3 item types from each other, and that they are supposed to appear in a horizontal line. This can be done by adding something like subtle boxes for each item slot on each row (so the player can see that collectibles will be bound there as they progress through the game), or maybe underlining WHIP, ITEM, and EXTRA so its more obvious they represent a row of icons. Maybe it's just me, but when I first watched the video I was wondering why the icons were on the far left side of the menu box.

Good luck on your project, if you would like more direct feedback I'm open to testing once you make it available.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 12:39:10 AM »
Quote from: SabinFigaro
Simon's speed is rather on the slow side
Sorry, but the speed will be as it is. I want to make the gameplay little slower, but accurate. Jumping is 1.5x faster compared to walking, but also more dangerous, 'cause jumps are almost uncontrollable in the mid-air. Castlevania - Dracula X on the SNES have exactly the same speed, I guess.

Quote from: Kokushibyō
Try using a more saturated color scheme for Simon
I'll think about it when there will be more levels. I'm planning to make them a bit (sometimes a lot) darker, then saturated version may will be out of place.

Quote from: uzo
So I applaud you for it
Oh, you're making me blush. But yes, I'm trying to teach player something, before he can use it at full potential. There will be some things, that didn't even appear in the Castlevania games...

Quote from: ProjectDread
I was wondering why the icons were on the far left side of the menu box.
And that's how you should think about it! Just look at the last screenshot in my first post, you can see some surprise there.

The menu box itself isn't the best, but not the worst either. If some more people will complain about it, I'll try to change it to be more appealing.

Before releasing the demo I'm need to finish the second zone - the forest. It's about 50% done, I think. I'm just need to add some new rooms, fill them with enemies and make one boss at the end. Not so hard, but takes some time.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 04:20:26 AM »
FYI, from past experience with this topic, most people in this forum (and the Castlevania FB group) are NOT fond of Richter's SNES DraculaXX walking speed.  And yours is slower.

Rondo of Blood Richter's Speed is better. 
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 05:59:51 AM »
FYI, from past experience with this topic, most people in this forum (and the Castlevania FB group) are NOT fond of Richter's SNES DraculaXX walking speed.  And yours is slower.

Rondo of Blood Richter's Speed is better. 

He's right. You're getting close to cv adventure speeds here. Not enjoyable for the player at all. And you should always consider that the person playing your game will have about half the patience for it that you have.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 10:27:22 AM »
Oh well, looks like everyone hate this speed, so I have changed it to be 30% faster, and the animation speedup is about 70%. Also, 720p60fps video is available:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:06:53 PM by Lanforse »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 10:45:08 AM »
FYI, from past experience with this topic, most people in this forum (and the Castlevania FB group) are NOT fond of Richter's SNES DraculaXX walking speed.

well actually I don't mind it. He's moving realistically with the foreground as opposed to his Rondo counterpart, who does move faster but the walking doesn't match the passing of the foreground.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
  • Experimental fan games galore!
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »
well actually I don't mind it. He's moving realistically with the foreground as opposed to his Rondo counterpart, who does move faster but the walking doesn't match the passing of the foreground.

Don't take this the wrong way but you might want to prioritize game design over those minor details.
My dumbass didn't read who posted this. Sorry.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:49:25 PM by ronny14 »

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 02:50:38 PM »
It looks the walking and stairs animations are still a little funky.

In regards to game design, little details can really be the nail on the head for the overall game design. Not saying one speed over the other is wrong, just that if you don't pay attention to the details, the whole design can fall apart.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 02:53:27 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way but you might want to prioritize game design over those minor details.

Player speed is a fundamental part of the game and should be established early on. The speed of enemies, traps and countless other objects are set to compliment the player.

It is no minor detail.

This game looks decent. What it is lacking is its own identity or flair. The name of the thread sums it up. Think about what you can do to make it more than just another fan game. You seem to have a great start man!

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
  • Experimental fan games galore!
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 03:47:42 PM »
Player speed is a fundamental part of the game and should be established early on. The speed of enemies, traps and countless other objects are set to compliment the player.

It is no minor detail.
Should've clarified, but the foreground scroll was the minor detail I was refferring to, and the speed was what I meant by game design.

The speed you have seems much better. I would encourage adding your own twists to the gameplay, cuz even the menu doesn't change too much. I agree with Belmontoya, if you're going for Just another fan game then you're good, otherwise throw in some new ideas!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:53:18 PM by ronny14 »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 03:52:39 PM »
Oh my bad. In that case we agree!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 04:15:51 PM »
The walk speed looks good. You only seem to be using half of the stair step animation though. That needs to be fixed.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 01:12:36 AM »
The hell! I just did realized, that i'm missing another 2 frames from the stairs animation too. I don't even know, how it's happened, but now it's should be much better. Also I have found the way how to implement the full animation cycle, so I'll post the results here very soon.

UPD:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:59:28 AM by Lanforse »

Tags: