Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: [MJ1990] Let's play a needlessly hard game and make it even MORE needlessly hard  (Read 6085 times)

Offline markyjoe1990

• The Final Boss
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I am the fooker
    • Markyjoe1990's Fire Emblem Den
    • Awards
MJ1990 Longplay Commentary: Amagon [Challenge Run: Without Megagon]

This is a game from my childhood called Amagon. In it, you're a marine soldier trying to get off an island you crash landed into. To get off, you gotta get to a boat on the opposite end of the island.

Game: Oh, but that's not going to be easy, did I mention you die in one hit, enemies fly at the speed of light, and they're everywhere?

Game: Well have no fear! You can turn into a large muscular man who has a health bar and kills everything in one or two hits!

Me: Fuck that. Let's beat the entire fucking game without it.

Game: WHAT? Are you serious? Some parts of the game aren't even possible without it!

Me: That's what you think.

And thus Marc began his quest to figure out how to beat the game without using the muscular form... and he succeeded after playing for about 4 hours! Here is his playthrough!

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Still easier than Haunted Castle Version M. :P
Kidding aside, on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the difficulty of this challenge run?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline markyjoe1990

• The Final Boss
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I am the fooker
    • Awards
Kidding aside? PFFT! I actually beat Haunted Castle Version M without losing a single continue, and I can safely say... I don't fucking know which game is harder.

I do in fact have the footage of me beating Haunted Castle Version M without continues, but... I want to do something special with it, so it won't be uploaded for a very long time.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I don't know how to rate this game's difficulty... why? Because honestly what most people consider horribly hard, I consider medium. This game, at least in my eyes, is a medium.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:34:35 PM by markyjoe1990 »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Hah, maybe one of these days you could do a Nightmare Difficulty run of Serio's Castlevania Fighter? *cough*lolshamelessadvertisement*cough*
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline markyjoe1990

• The Final Boss
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I am the fooker
    • Awards
Maybe. I'd probably go through it with Jonathon since... well... despite everyone hating the bastard, I kinda like him. His cliche stupidity comes off as endearing to me. That and he's a joke character, and thus I must prove HE IS GOD.

But... I don't know. I'm not exactly good at his fighting game.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Actually, in Serio's game the joke characters are better than the normal ones when you consider several factors.
Oh, and it all comes down to abusing invincibility frames when playing that game.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:01:22 PM by VladCT »
^^

Offline markyjoe1990

• The Final Boss
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I am the fooker
    • Awards
Well, the one thing I noticed was that Jonathon's fart of doom is rape (Loads of invincibility during the attack), but his damage output isn't as high as most characters. I haven't really used anyone else aside from him except for a little bit of dicking around, so I wouldn't know their value in combat. Still, whatever the case is, I'd probably stick with good ol' Jonny boy. :P

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Most of Jonny-boy's damage output comes from his subweapons (his paper plane, for instance, rapes bosses with a huge hitbox), so learn to use those well.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:05:07 PM by VladCT »
^^

Offline markyjoe1990

• The Final Boss
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I am the fooker
    • Awards
That's what I've learned from spending hours playing as him. That, and spam the fart of doom on any boss that isn't Albus or Dracula. DX

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Would you consider Data East's High Seas Havoc on the Genesis pretty hard? Because it is truly quite the memorizer.

Offline markyjoe1990

• The Final Boss
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I am the fooker
    • Awards

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
It's a game that gets bashed for being too much like Sonic, when the only thing they share in common is collecting items to try and get extra lives. It couldn't be more different as it's a game that requires a lot of memorizing of the levels, and careful jumping as Havoc's jumps are a tad slippery when he lands.

It's good enough for me to plan on buying it off someone I know. But it has frustrated me in a good way, it's not impossible to beat, but it would take a lot of practice.

Offline markyjoe1990

• The Final Boss
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I am the fooker
    • Awards
I might try it out sometime. Not promising though.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
It's never "needlessly" hard. I for one, am always up for a challenge, granted the game is fun and the challenge not stupid.

Offline GypsyGrifter

• SUPER KAWAII DESU~
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Me Youtube Channel
    • Awards
I watched this video the day you put it up, Marc, but I'll still comment.

While it may not be that hard, as you said it was a medium, I think you also mentioned that you had to memorize where enemies spawned, and where you need to be at certain points in order to get through, and personally, I think THAT is unfair. If a game wants to be challenging, make you die in one hit, make the enemies Overpowered, etc. that's fine, it can do that, a good challenge is always fun, and gives the game more replay value (mostly because you can never beat it....), but making a game require you to memorize spawning points of enemies to get through without dying, THAT is cheap.
Stuff.

Tags:

anything