Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A REALLY interesting take on Simon's Quest  (Read 20243 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: A REALLY interesting take on Simon's Quest
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2012, 11:45:55 AM »
Technically, that dialogue should be the Crystal Knight's, not Simon's.
After all, Simon does not have the power of Clairvoyance, so it's not like he knows exactly what crystal he should be exchanging for which.

"I'd like to exchange a white crystal for a blue one".
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 09:04:40 AM »
Technically, that dialogue should be the Crystal Knight's, not Simon's.
After all, Simon does not have the power of Clairvoyance, so it's not like he knows exactly what crystal he should be exchanging for which.

"I'd like to exchange a white crystal for a blue one".

Yup, this. In the NES days, the main character in which you used never really spoke. The ones that did, did so rarely.

Characters that don't speak for example:
Simon Belmont
Trevor Belmont
Link
Mario
Billy Lee
Jimmy Lee
Getsu Fuma
Samus Aran (at least as far as I know)
Kid Icarus (same as Samus)
etc.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2012, 12:10:40 PM »
I always just assumed there was an offer made by the crystal knight and the dialogue was just Simon's response because they don't really give you a choice of whether or not you want to exchange them.

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 06:35:47 PM »
Yup, this. In the NES days, the main character in which you used never really spoke. The ones that did, did so rarely.

Characters that don't speak for example:
Simon Belmont
Trevor Belmont
Link
Mario
Billy Lee
Jimmy Lee
Getsu Fuma
Samus Aran (at least as far as I know)
Kid Icarus (same as Samus)
etc.

You make mention of an excellent point that should be looked at closer. Not only does Simon not speak but neither do the bosses i.e. death, dracula, medusa etc. The fact that there is no talking other than the villagers and the narrator telling you what items you picked up (who is that guy anyway?) there is little to no chit chat in SQ like it's prequel. Silence makes for a good mood setting device. Old school gaming will always have certain quirks that high tech can not make up for.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2012, 09:35:31 AM »
Well, Obscura's point was that the game was "more AKIN to a survival horror game than a platformer" not that it WAS a survival horror game. But I get where you're coming from. Good talk!

Very good talk! :)
"Stuff and things."

Tags:

anything