Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 456746 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #405 on: February 19, 2016, 10:37:53 PM »
IMO he surely gets married, PoR have hints thrown at our face almost all the time. Since he understood better his father motives at the end of the game I think that he could be able to have a son without making the same mistake of hiding things to protect his son. Since John wanted Jonathan to train without relying on the whip, I can see Jonathan doing the same but this time explaining why to his son (if he have one).

I would be okay if he doesn't have a child, remember that he can also have a daughter if you decide that his child will not use the whip. But this way I think that shw would end being a spellcaster.

Well, these are my thoughts and basically its okay if he doesn't become a father, but isn't if he doesn't marry you know who.

The issue here is that Jonathan was never meant to have anything deeper with Charlotte. Their relationship is not meant to be a budding romance. Check it out:

This comes from here:
http://i.imgur.com/nJzA3el.jpg

The thing with having a child while being aware of his heritage is that this knowlegde doesn't stop the burden from falling upon this child. Jonathan is not having a child because any number of events can take place, and end up draining the life of his child if they have to face Dracula using the whip. By 1986 Jonathan is still uncertain about the Belmonts coming back to take the whip, and by this year he's already 60.

It's not like he's not thinking of the consequences. He is - he's training himself so nobody else has to carry this burden.

This is the main problem: Jonathan feels preemptive guilt from condemning someone else to carry a burden they didn't ask for, and do not know why (much like himself does not), that could easily get out of hand. If he keeps this burden for himself, he can control it.

The child's gender is not really important, because continuing the bloodline condemns it anyway.

Now, there is the potential for a partner and the potential for a descendant, and this is because Jonathan is "relieved" of finding a Belmont to take over the whip. It's hard to explain now what I'm doing, but the potentials do exist.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:11:06 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #406 on: February 20, 2016, 12:42:06 AM »
Hmm, this article changes everything (even if I don't agree since what happens in-game contradicts a lot with this, what IGA says can't be changed), now for potential descendants you're giving me vibes to think that you're referring to Curtis Lang, but I think I'm wrong.

Even so... Don't be shy people, plottwist needs feedback here! ;D
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline coinilius

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #407 on: February 20, 2016, 04:39:28 AM »
Another option is that Johnathan could marry but deliberately not have children...

I think the only 'issue' for me in this scenario would be that while he could decide to not have kids and plan to just live until 1999 himself, is that really a decision he would be willing to make?  Anything could happen in that time - what if he just died of a heart attack or got hit by a bus?  Who would be the custodian of the whip then?

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #408 on: February 20, 2016, 06:06:14 AM »
As a side effect of using the vampire killer whip, his body was weakened and he later finds that he is infertile and unable to have children. He wouldn't be able to prove it, but he could voraciously claim that the whip cost him his ability to have a child.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #409 on: February 20, 2016, 09:25:42 AM »
Hmm, this article changes everything (even if I don't agree since what happens in-game contradicts a lot with this, what IGA says can't be changed), now for potential descendants you're giving me vibes to think that you're referring to Curtis Lang, but I think I'm wrong.

You actually are on the right track.

As a side effect of using the vampire killer whip, his body was weakened and he later finds that he is infertile and unable to have children. He wouldn't be able to prove it, but he could voraciously claim that the whip cost him his ability to have a child.

This is actually a very good explanation.

In Umbra I'm also giving a reason for why Jonathan survived using the whip. The reason is really simple: He didn't use it enough. But there were consequences, and he got crippled. Even though I don't know if I'll follow your idea, I'm definitelly keeping it in mind.

If I follow it, though, it'll need to get subverted at some point. It'll be revealed that Jonathan's heritage didn't die as himself (and everyone else) expected to happen.

Another option is that Johnathan could marry but deliberately not have children...

I think the only 'issue' for me in this scenario would be that while he could decide to not have kids and plan to just live until 1999 himself, is that really a decision he would be willing to make?  Anything could happen in that time - what if he just died of a heart attack or got hit by a bus?  Who would be the custodian of the whip then?

In Umbra, Jonathan is living a secluded life. Of course, he's still doing his thing with the Church, but there's little chance he'd die from an accident such as getting hit by a bus. He's more likely from dying being eaten by a monster :P

But, by the 80s, even being 60, Jonathan is quite possibly the strongest vampire hunter there is. So even the chance of being killed by a monster is low. It's in 1986 that Jonathan takes on a completelly secluded life to raise and train Julius Belmont.

Now, you all remember how I said he does not get married? Well, he doesn't get OFFICIALLY married in the Church. There is someone special in his life, and this person is the mother figure for Julius after his parents died on the mysterious explosion.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:32:23 AM by theplottwist »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #410 on: February 20, 2016, 10:47:29 AM »
Maybe Jonathan is wed to one of the Lecarde sisters. They're distant enough in relation for there not to have any issues with DNA compatibility as it would be with marrying a sister or cousin. But since Jonathan didn't have a child of his own, and is looking after Julius and training him, said mother figure could also be training him as well in other fields of hunting. The Lecarde sisters use sorcery so the one whom married Jonathan could be training Julius on how to defend against it. Both the Morris family and the Lecarde family know about the secrets of the Vampirekiller whip so it kinda makes sense in that regard.

Just a thought so don't hang me for it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #411 on: February 20, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »
Maybe Jonathan is wed to one of the Lecarde sisters. They're distant enough in relation for there not to have any issues with DNA compatibility as it would be with marrying a sister or cousin. But since Jonathan didn't have a child of his own, and is looking after Julius and training him, said mother figure could also be training him as well in other fields of hunting. The Lecarde sisters use sorcery so the one whom married Jonathan could be training Julius on how to defend against it. Both the Morris family and the Lecarde family know about the secrets of the Vampirekiller whip so it kinda makes sense in that regard.

Just a thought so don't hang me for it.

The Lecarde sisters ARE involved with Jonathan's crippling.

To explain better: Jonathan had to face certain consequences from wielding the whip. Consequences nowhere as drastic as his father had to face, but still dire nonetheless. It was the Lecarde sisters who:

1. Sealed the whip again.
2. Helped Jonathan overcome the whip's life drainage.

They worked together with Charlotte on this one, but they were the ones to discover what to do. Their help, however, came at the cost of crippling him physically. But it was this, or becoming bedridden, neither dying, nor getting better.

Though, if I get to do with him what I'm imagining, I think everyone would prefer getting crippled lol.

Your idea is also nice. I have some qualms about it related to the bloodline thing, but I prefer your vision over creating a new character. Let's see how it develops.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:51:31 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #412 on: February 20, 2016, 01:39:08 PM »
One of the Lecarde sisters ARE involved with Jonathan's crippling.

Don't tell me that something was consuming his arm on the process and they decided to cut it off? You're planning to use dark magic or glyphs to cut the connection between Jonathan and the whip?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #413 on: February 20, 2016, 01:59:14 PM »
Don't tell me that something was consuming his arm on the process and they decided to cut it off? You're planning to use dark magic or glyphs to cut the connection between Jonathan and the whip?

Important of note, before anything: This is NOT set in stone yet. I'm telling you guys all this, but in the last second everything can change.

Maybe a glyph will be involved. For a myriad of reasons that will explain more than one question at once. This specific bit about Jonathan's severed limb is the perfect setup to explain how the Belmonts were cured through a glyph.

So, it's not like it was "consuming his arm" but more like the life drainage effect was consuming his entire body. VEEEEERY slowly, much slower than it consumed John. But it was certain that Jonathan would end his days bedridden thanks to this.

At a certain point, the sisters along with Charlotte found a way to restore Jonathan's health by isolating the life draining effect in one limb, and taking it off. Jonathan agreed as he couldn't take being incapacitated.

This life draining effect is nothing more than a memory of Richter living inside the body of the wielder. A parasite memory, if you will. The more one wields the whip, the more life force this parasite memory requires. Jonathan did not wield it enough for the memory to consume him, but he did it enough for it to linger inside his body and cause his health to decline slowly. Once he got it off, he was back to top condition.

So, I wasn't thinking precisely "an arm". I don't have this decided yet. But, whatever limb it is, it is replaced by a construct powered by magic. If it's a leg, for instance, it is replaced by metal/wooden/whatever leg that moves through a spell cast by Charlotte, which could be a glyph using Jonathan's own life force to move the limb.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 02:16:02 PM by theplottwist »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #414 on: February 20, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »
I have some qualms about it related to the bloodline thing

I can see that being an issue as well. But due note that we're talking about hundreds of years of families drifting apart. I don't know when the Lecardes came about but we both know that the Morris clan came about not long after after CVIII. By this logic everything should be fine. Besides, when you take a look at humanity in real life we are in a sense all brothers and sisters in relation to one-another. Intermingling families' DNA only becomes detrimental when the genetic code is very similar, Hence that mating with sisters or cousins is not a good idea. But having the bloodline move far enough away from that proximity, the couples in question won't have any real problems then complete strangers. But you've already clarified that Jonathan did not have any children of his own so there's even less to worry about.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #415 on: February 21, 2016, 07:25:54 AM »
Soory for weird question here but release date for this amazing fan game?

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #416 on: February 21, 2016, 08:37:11 AM »
lol this isn't even set to be a fangame yet. :V
Seriously, if anyone feels up for making this into a game, please let yourself be heard.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:41:28 AM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #417 on: February 21, 2016, 09:10:27 AM »
+2
Soory for weird question here but release date for this amazing fan game?

The truth of the matter is what VladCT said: The chances for this becoming a fangame are slim. Specifically because of the workload involved and lack of people.

However, to speak more about the fangame situation - there is someone interested in investing their time to create an engine and work with it. I will not indentify this person (and I'll ask they also don't do it for now) because this comes with a whole lot of expectations and demands. But I can say it's a very talented person that COULD pull off everything this project would need, but the big question is Time.

The story will be ready much earlier than a fangame would, so if there comes a fangame, you'll already be spoiled beyond measure :P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:51:32 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #418 on: February 21, 2016, 11:40:07 PM »
@Castle34hk: This is more along the lines of an epic fanfiction with character images and music. Plot needs to finish the story first and there are still some holes that needs to be filled.

@plot: I'm curious about your incorporation of question that you've asked me to the plot. hehe.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #419 on: February 22, 2016, 12:32:27 AM »
@plot: I'm curious about your incorporation of question that you've asked me to the plot. hehe.

I'm almost ready to reveal it. I'm just trying to rule out every single possibility before I make the final choice.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:09:11 PM by theplottwist »

Tags: 1999 Awes