Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 456697 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #510 on: April 30, 2016, 08:39:39 PM »
...the main star of the Castlevania show.

...Schmoo?

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #511 on: April 30, 2016, 09:34:37 PM »
...Schmoo?

Why, certainly. When we get used to him, he looks cuter, after all.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #512 on: May 16, 2016, 12:24:29 AM »
OK so, just a tiny tease so the thread doesn't get forgotten and buried in the sands of time:

Alucard got himself a voice actor, and soon you'll be listening to him. You all know him very well from this forum, but I was scared at how good of a voice he actually has.

This could mean a BUNCH of things, for instance:
  • The project could evolve into a "radio drama" kinda deal, like "Nocturne of Recollection", and have all of its dialogue dubbed (which pleases me very much);
  • The project could have some of the heaps of dialogues dubbed to give an atmosphere to the text;
  • ? ? ?

So, it's pratically a 100% certainty that there will be voice-acting involved. And this means I'll be asking for volunteers here and in some other places to lend their voice talents to this in the near future.

There are more things coming, though, but I can't reveal them just yet. So, that's it! Until next update!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:31:18 AM by theplottwist »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #513 on: May 16, 2016, 05:38:58 AM »
So is he closer to Robert Belgrade or Yuri Lowenthal?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #514 on: May 16, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
So is he closer to Robert Belgrade or Yuri Lowenthal?

Closer to Belgrade. MUCH closer.

I can't stand Yuri Lowenthal. He has a good acting and voice, but Alucard has to have a deep voice. It's the ethereal thing about him everyone grew with.

I remember thinking that this voice gave Alucard both a supernatural quality, and an imposing personality. Him having such a elegant appearance and such a deep voice gives you juuuuust enough of the uncanniness you're supposed to feel from a vampire -- which is explained numerous times on the series that being near Alucard feels strange. Alucard with a suave voice is just... Just another bishonen.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:36:22 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #515 on: May 16, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
Radio drama!
YES!!!! I can't wait for that. :)

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #516 on: May 16, 2016, 11:17:39 PM »
Hmmm... What about making a machinima?

- It's a lot easier than making a whole game
- It gives you a movie/game-like experience
- It can be done in the GameMaker or another user-friendly game engine

You are already have the story, sprites and voices. I just can't see any drawbacks.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #517 on: May 16, 2016, 11:37:05 PM »
A Machinima would just make people want a game even more due to having an actual visual representation of how it would go.

Plus, the guy Plot mentioned way back as potentially being interested in programming this is also someone I know, and knowing him it'd be a case of all-or-nothing--either make the whole game or don't. He'd probably think a cut-down version of basically the same work as a waste of what it could be.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #518 on: May 17, 2016, 12:21:13 AM »
All of this sounds super cool. :)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #519 on: May 17, 2016, 08:58:15 PM »
+4
So, I was going to wait for more content to be ready to update, but since this is basically a dev thread, there is not much reason to do so as you'll eventually see everything there is to see.

So, without further ado:

Alucard -- and Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow's Prologue.

(click to show/hide)

Voice acting by Dracula9
Soundtrack by Chernabogue
Writing by me

Please, leave your feedback. We want to know what you Dungeonites think and use this feedback to improve.

Many thanks to Chernabogue and Dracula9. These two are talent incarnated.

Hmmm... What about making a machinima?
You are already have the story, sprites and voices. I just can't see any drawbacks.

Sorry, I forgot to address this response. Though there is no need -- Dracula9 summed it up.

A machinima would require me to create assets that would be much better used in a game. So, if I can give the people a game, why not make a game? And yeah, the mystery programmer is down to make it into the coolest thing ever, and also wants a game out of this whole thing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:44:38 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #520 on: May 18, 2016, 04:21:45 AM »
+3
Welp, cat's out 'da bag finally.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #521 on: May 18, 2016, 06:31:02 AM »
Dang, should've known it was him. I mean, his usual voice is pretty deep to begin with.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #522 on: May 18, 2016, 10:35:19 AM »
*Applauds*  WOW!  Just seriously... just wow.  That was bloody AMAZING work from al of you.  Shivers were running down my spine as I listed to this, and between you guys, you've simply nailed it.  Even if it remains as a story (it could be an amazing audiobook if it doesn't go as far as an actual fangame), this just works.  I love it.  I love your narration, and the background music just is the final finishing touch.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #523 on: May 20, 2016, 02:02:36 AM »
*Applauds*  WOW!  Just seriously... just wow.  That was bloody AMAZING work from al of you.  Shivers were running down my spine as I listed to this, and between you guys, you've simply nailed it.  Even if it remains as a story (it could be an amazing audiobook if it doesn't go as far as an actual fangame), this just works.  I love it.  I love your narration, and the background music just is the final finishing touch.

Well, it shouldn't be me to be thanking you, but thank you!

I hope to find here more actors to help in this endeavour -- including actresses! This project has a fair share of female characters, so talented women will be needed.

Thank you again, Seraph :3

In another note, I have tied some loose ends on the plot. Mainly, how exactly does Charlotte learn about the legend and the power to control the gods. Previously, Charlotte simply Deus Ex Machinae'd her way to learning about it. Now she's continuing the research done by Alucard.

Alucard is said to be the one who was researching for a way to destroy Dracula MUCH before Charlotte, in his ending in Judgment. So, now he both learns about the prophecy AND did the initial research based on the rumors Maria spawned on the west. However, with Dracula's early revival in OoE during the 1800s, Alucard is forced to halt the research and return to Romania, where he becomes the guardian of the Belmonts and works with Shanoa. Once there, he is unable to leave, so the research is halted -- Until Charlotte later retakes it and gives it closure by tracking the rest of the rumors now-turned-legend and travelling to Japan herself.

You can check all of this on the first page of this thread, on my post about the timeline.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:07:22 AM by theplottwist »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #524 on: May 20, 2016, 02:06:20 AM »
I finally had the time today to listen to the mp3.
OMG! It's amazing! I need more~ I'm a sucker for drama cds.

In another note, I have tied some loose ends on the plot. Mainly, how exactly does Charlotte learn about the legend and the power to control the gods. Previously, Charlotte simply Deus Ex Machinae'd her way to learning about it. Now she's continuing the research done by Alucard.

Alucard is said to be the one who was researching for a way to destroy Dracula MUCH before Charlotte. So, now he both learns about the prophecy AND did the initial research based on the rumors Maria spawned on the west. However, with Dracula's early revival in OoE during the 1800s, Alucard is forced to halt the research and return to Romania, where he becomes the guardian of the Belmonts and works with Shanoa. Once there, he is unable to leave, so the research is halted -- Until Charlotte later retakes it and gives it closure by tracking the rest of the rumors now-turned-legend and travelling to Japan herself.

Oh was this the one that we talked about before? or you've added more stuff to it?

Tags: 1999 Awes 

anything