Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The new games make me want to cry  (Read 25687 times)

Offline NicholasDuffy

• Castlevania 1986-Forever
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: The new games make me want to cry
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2007, 03:35:24 PM »
Really great point, I loved Aria Of Sorrow, and Harmony, and than you do have to admit the first 4 (CV1-CV3 and SCV4) had the most dark "fall" type feel, and Symphony had the dark gothic music and backgrounds to blend in it, but the new games get way to out of the Castle, and out of topic. I prefer the old games, and at least some GBA installments to the series were the only good ones.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2007, 06:11:44 PM »
Yeah POR had some problems:

- Repetitive, recyled backgrounds and themes in the painting worlds.

- Some repetitive and uninspired music.

- Main castle feels rushed and unrealistic in design.

- Sophmoric exchanges and revelations between Charlotte and Jonathan. Mild humor doesn't make up for the fact that the story isn't that interesting, even for a "CV" story.

- It's all too lighthearted for a CV game. Or it's the wrong kind of "lighthearted" (ROB did this better)

Other than that it's still another fun Metroidvania romp. It just feels like the team is growing tired of the same ol' thing and that rubs off onto us.

I think it's time to redesign the 2D CV formula again. Or if not, return to the classic style for awhile.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2007, 01:46:53 PM »
Quote from: A N T R A X X
I think it's time to redesign the 2D CV formula again.
We still have 1 more DS game to play before that happens  :-X

Offline Cypress

• Whip's Memory
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2007, 02:29:22 PM »
I don't think they are bad at all. They are actually pretty fun, and they have alot more replay value than previous Castlevania games. The difficulty was a bit too easy but in Portrait of Ruin there is the Hard mode Lv. 1. Try beating that with Old Axe Armor if you want a challenge.
-----------------------------------------------
Nowadays you are either a graphics whore or a fanboy. BR is Shank not CV. It is ridiculous to think that it is better than CV. If it was CV then it would be what RE4 is to Resi, a series killer. Dumb it down and make it look pretty. Enough idiots will buy it.

Tags:

anything