Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Are other people as sick of "Metroidvanias" as I am?  (Read 1778 times)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: Are other people as sick of "Metroidvanias" as I am?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2024, 11:33:55 PM »
Yeah, I'm a Classicvania guy to the end. I don't hate Metroidvanias, but they really don't take any skill. If something is too hard, you can just grind and level up (yes I know there are some games with level cap modes).

Personally, I thought Infernax was the first blend of Classicvania and Metroidvania.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2024, 12:06:23 AM »
I agree with you on that. It feels like the extra modes are the preferable way to play a lot of the Metroidvania games, or at least the modes that provide additional challenge.

I just miss the difficult, frustrating-but-hard Castlevanias, I guess. I don't feel 100% fulfilled if a game doesn't make me cuss at the screen a few times, lmao
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2024, 07:09:24 AM »
I remember breezing through Dawn of Sorrow & Portrait of Ruin (aside from a few sections that gave me problems), but Order of Ecclesia kind of kicked my ass the first few times. They actually ramped up the difficulty which I wasn’t expecting. There was a certain attention to detail that wasn’t present in the previous DS entries.

Mirror of Fate, however, that game didn’t offer a challenge to me at all. And it has 0% replay value. No extra modes, no secrets, no boss rush, nothing. I never understood why.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:29:05 AM by crisis »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2024, 07:54:05 AM »
I'll be sure to let Mig know that you guys think Metroidvania games aren't challenging enough. 😉
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 08:43:14 AM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2024, 12:58:44 AM »
Nope. I still actively search out Metroidvanias.
I do still love the regular platformer format, tho.
"Stuff and things."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 07:48:57 PM »
No metroidvania, for me, has ever topped the wonder and intrigue of either Super Metroid or SotN. Those games all feel like art pieces with organic environments, as opposed to designed gameplay loops that happen to feature good art.

Not that I think the genre is stale or anything, I just think it's one of those things that's incredibly difficult to get right. SM and SotN have many more detectable flaws than modern metroidvanias but their shadow looms impossibly tall over the genre. It's like boxers.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Tags: