Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The best "under-rated" game you've ever played  (Read 32439 times)

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
Re: The best "under-rated" game you've ever played
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 12:15:55 PM »
Number Munchers = hours of fun

Dude number munchers kicked ass.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 02:50:35 PM »
that game is sooooo not under rated. and yea it owned.

Super Solver games are awesome too.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 10:46:07 PM »
Demon's Crest. My favorite of the Gargoyle's Quest series, and EASILY the best game within the Ghosts'n Goblins universe. Unfortunately, Capcom didn't really advertise it and just left it to die, even though it's one of the greatest games ever made.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 10:52:12 PM »
Cybernator (Assault Suits Valken in Japan) is also a pretty unknown and underrated game. For those familiar with Metal Warriors, this is the game that LucasArts stole all their ideas from for MW. It's Grade A material, folks.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 03:07:28 PM »
Demon's Crest. My favorite of the Gargoyle's Quest series, and EASILY the best game within the Ghosts'n Goblins universe. Unfortunately, Capcom didn't really advertise it and just left it to die, even though it's one of the greatest games ever made.

Good games yes but I like Gargoyles Quest on the old GB better.

Offline Blue Cheese

• SO DAMNED GOOD
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 07:10:40 PM »
OH! Just thought of one!  Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy.
The game didn't get a lot of hoopla but it's totally fun. Havoc engine powered physics, telekinesis, pyrokinesis, mind control, loads of guns and, hell, you can even use your mental powers to make your enemies' heads explode!

Not to mention the crazy co-op mode where two players control the same character (one controls movement and weapons while another wields the psi-powers)

Offline Xain

• FIRE! FIRE!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 01:21:33 PM »
Number Munchers = hours of fun

Wow! That brings me back...life was simple then....er anyway.

....cant think of a game now. ill contribute later.

MM Battle Network Sig Project. And on the third day, Dr. Light said, "Let there be Roll."

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 10:24:32 PM »
Damn I can't believe Number Munchers was brought up!

Mine would probably have to be that Castle Of Dragon game on the NES. It's cool, slightly weird, and I've never gotten too far in it, but it's a great side scroller action game.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 10:06:01 AM »
In Reply To #23

Landstalker!
Sega's answer to Zelda is hardly ever mentioned anywhere. I think it's out on Virtual Console by now, and people should really play through this at least once. Don't expect a Zelda-esque cakewalk though. This game is very unforgiving at times, but still my favourite action RPG next to ALttP.

Shinobi PS2!
Wasn't recieved very well when it first came out, and is often accused of being too hard for it's own good. But the game is excellent. Also, the sequel Nightshade while not as interesting, plays pretty much the same and is also absolutely underrated IMO.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 02:33:55 PM »
I forgot about Shinobi! Awesome game.. it has probably one of the hardest final bosses ever. They need to make a true sequel to this

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 12:07:51 AM »
Never played the PS2 games, but I have been enjoying the arcade and Genesis Shinobi games. Beat the three for Genesis as well as the very original for arcade.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline The Clark

• Beast of Blood
  • Hunter in Training
    • MySpace profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 12:33:12 AM »
I tried to play Shinobi again the other day, but some of the level design is just...bad. I second the vote for Demon's Crest. And the most underrated game I've ever played is...Metal Gear Solid for Game Boy Color. Well, as far as reviews go, it's actually one of the highest rated games of all-time, with an average score of 95.9%. So, why has nobody ever heard of this game? Why is it never on any top 100 lists? Perhaps people just expected a cheap cash in or an attempt at an 8 bit port of the PSone game (due to the identical name), but it is neither! It is an all new chapter in the MGS series (albeit a sidestory) and the most impressive and complete portable game I have ever played. A lengthy campaign with an intriguing story, over 150 VR missions, three alternate missions for each of the 13 'stages', an excellent soundtrack, and even multiplayer! It is lightyears beyond anything else that was available on the GBC and still well beyond almost any portable title out there today. Hell, I think it's better than any of the console MGS games.

Offline ringo

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 01:41:27 AM »
In Reply To #27
Yes, it is pretty awesome. Never managed to beat the second last boss I don't think. It's amazing how faithful it is to the original MGS. I still like all 3 Solid titles better though.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2007, 05:18:27 AM »
Psi Ops was pretty fun but multiplayer was just a pain in the butt if you ask me. I couuldn't get used to it at all.

As for Shinobi, I dont really think its underrated, ........ since i've talked to quite a few people and people know it... but iunno.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 01:50:16 AM »

As for Shinobi, I dont really think its underrated, ........ since i've talked to quite a few people and people know it... but iunno.

Of course people know about it - It's Shinobi!
But the game recieved some mediocre reviews when it was released, and if you ever mention 3D ninja action people automatically say Ninja Gaiden, not Shinobi. It's a shame, but I guess the game isn't for everyone.

Tags:

anything