Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848929 times)

Online crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3645 on: August 16, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »
+3
to be honest the "LoS2 on PC" news doesn't excite me anymore than LoS2 being ported to the Wii-U or something. I'm not that big of a PC gamer.

The thing that bugs me about Gabriel's descent is the fact that upon Satan's defeat, he gives this whole spiel about how God is good and we must seek forgiveness yadda yadda, "that's why you're cast out b/c you have no love in ur heart" yadda yadda.... then maybe a few hours later he forgets all that & becomes a vampire lord. I guess it contrasts with LoI's ending; Mathias says to Leon "after all you've been through, you should know!" in an attempt to show Leo his reasoning for his descent. But Leon, being the pure Belmont he is, refuses, despite condemning his bloodline to hunt the night in the process. prunyuu~

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3646 on: August 16, 2012, 04:06:26 PM »
to be honest the "LoS2 on PC" news doesn't excite me anymore than LoS2 being ported to the Wii-U or something. I'm not that big of a PC gamer.

Wish it was on wii-u  :'(
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline gortaithe

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3647 on: August 16, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Honestly, I can believe Gabe's motivations for cursing God and giving into darkness even more than I could Mathias!

Think of it: He goes through a life of servitude to the Brotherhood of Light, doing good deed and being heroic. What does he get? Possessed by a dark lord (and by proxy, the damn devil of all beings) and forced to kill his wife and the girl he befriended.

So he manages to pick himself up and goes on to defeat 2 of the 3 the Lords of Shadow (something the Brotherhood either couldn't or wouldn't do themselves, one man did by himself), takes down LUCIFER (I honestly can't stress this enough) who is the ultimate incarnation of evil, and frees hundreds of souls from eternal limbo. What does he get? Oh, sorry, you're wife never could actually come back from the dead and has ascended to heaven and can't even be my your side anymore.

So everything he had in his life is lost. But hark, the morally ambiguous vampire girl tells you of the eldritch abomination about to break into our world and complete obliterate it. He sacrifices his humanity in order to take down said Uber!Monster, killing the last person he had any attachment to in the process, and comes out victorious and saves the world AGAIN. What does he get? Hunted by the same Brotherhood who sent him on this whole crazy trek in the first place, and has his long lost son sent after him to kill him because "OMG VAMPIRE = EVULS!!".

Yeah, I'd be pretty damn pissed off at the Brotherhood and God myself if that's what my reward is for all my suffering and sacrifice in BOTH their names.

preachin to the choir, guh... but please preach on! (i still hate the story/plot of the dlc's, they really should retconn that shit, pronto, and start all over)

Offline gortaithe

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #3648 on: August 16, 2012, 04:21:33 PM »

The thing that bugs me about Gabriel's descent is the fact that upon Satan's defeat, he gives this whole spiel about how God is good and we must seek forgiveness yadda yadda, "that's why you're cast out b/c you have no love in ur heart" yadda yadda.... then maybe a few hours later he forgets all that & becomes a vampire lord. I guess it contrasts with LoI's ending; Mathias says to Leon "after all you've been through, you should know!" in an attempt to show Leo his reasoning for his descent. But Leon, being the pure Belmont he is, refuses, despite condemning his bloodline to hunt the night in the process. prunyuu~

bugs the hell out of me too. seriously... they effed the plot with the dlc's. that's where they effed up. terribly.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3649 on: August 16, 2012, 04:22:18 PM »
LoS2 on WiiU would be really nice.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #3650 on: August 16, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »
LoS2 on WiiU would be really nice.

Why would ms avoid the wii-u the potential it has for being the smash hit action game next to darksiders is crazy. Like ninja Gaiden 3 is at the top of anyones list  :rollseyes: yeah it baffles me.

Anyways the only news I got from gamescom is this boring thing

Konami On Air Show - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (Combat Show // gamesom 2012)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3651 on: August 16, 2012, 04:32:16 PM »
+2
then maybe a few hours later he forgets all that & becomes a vampire lord.
More than "forget", upon becoming a Vampire he loses his Humanity, along with that love, and whatever goodness he had in him. Post LoS but pre DLC, he seemed alright. gloomy and depressed sure, but he was alright. Upon going Vampire though and losing that Humanity, he went over the edge and was all "I AM THE DRAGON, RAAAWR"
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3652 on: August 16, 2012, 04:36:12 PM »
bugs the hell out of me too. seriously... they effed the plot with the dlc's. that's where they effed up. terribly.

Fun fact: The reason the DLC felt so rushed because it actually was. The DLC chapters were intended to be part of the main game but Konami wanted to get on the DLC bandwagon and split them up and charge money for them. The rush job resulted in omitting the final stage after Resurrection, which is now part of Mirror of Fate as the playable prologue.

Offline gortaithe

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #3653 on: August 16, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »
More than "forget", upon becoming a Vampire he loses his Humanity, along with that love, and whatever goodness he had in him. Post LoS but pre DLC, he seemed alright. gloomy and depressed sure, but he was alright. Upon going Vampire though and losing that Humanity, he went over the edge and was all "I AM THE DRAGON, RAAAWR"

how come i can't make any of these lovely insights leave my forebrain and into my typing? >< thanks guys for saying... what i obviously can't.

Offline gortaithe

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #3654 on: August 16, 2012, 04:45:13 PM »
Fun fact: The reason the DLC felt so rushed because it actually was. The DLC chapters were intended to be part of the main game but Konami wanted to get on the DLC bandwagon and split them up and charge money for them. The rush job resulted in omitting the final stage after Resurrection, which is now part of Mirror of Fate as the playable prologue.

that makes it worse

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #3655 on: August 16, 2012, 05:00:15 PM »
+2

Now see, I'm not on the bandwagon that becoming a vampire erases all love and emotion. Laura certainly had affection and a kinship for Gabriel, she spared his life after Marie's ghost decides to pop up. She looked sad. And certainly she felt pain and loneliness and a desire for release. Even Dracula!Gabe is shown to stroke the crypt of (what we are led to believe is) Marie in the LoS2 trailer.

I don't think being a vampire kills emotion. I think you get overwhelmed by darkness and therefore it's easier to act upon anger and hatred and that's what Gabe had in spades even before becoming a vampire. (or at least....Zobek's narration leads you to believe that)

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3656 on: August 16, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »
+3
Honestly, I can believe Gabe's motivations for cursing God and giving into darkness even more than I could Mathias!

Think of it: He goes through a life of servitude to the Brotherhood of Light, doing good deed and being heroic. What does he get? Possessed by a dark lord (and by proxy, the damn devil of all beings) and forced to kill his wife and the girl he befriended.

So he manages to pick himself up and goes on to defeat 2 of the 3 the Lords of Shadow (something the Brotherhood either couldn't or wouldn't do themselves, one man did by himself), takes down LUCIFER (I honestly can't stress this enough) who is the ultimate incarnation of evil, and frees hundreds of souls from eternal limbo. What does he get? Oh, sorry, you're wife never could actually come back from the dead and has ascended to heaven and can't even be my your side anymore.

So everything he had in his life is lost. But hark, the morally ambiguous vampire girl tells you of the eldritch abomination about to break into our world and complete obliterate it. He sacrifices his humanity in order to take down said Uber!Monster, killing the last person he had any attachment to in the process, and comes out victorious and saves the world AGAIN. What does he get? Hunted by the same Brotherhood who sent him on this whole crazy trek in the first place, and has his long lost son sent after him to kill him because "OMG VAMPIRE = EVULS!!".

Yeah, I'd be pretty damn pissed off at the Brotherhood and God myself if that's what my reward is for all my suffering and sacrifice in BOTH their names.

And toss in if he ever finds about Marie withholding/hiding their child and essentially lying to him the whole time (instead of as you already mentioned, unless a great reason is given, just because she was told to instead of trying to alter his and her own fate), then you have one damn good staple for "I can't win for losing." if I ever saw one.

But your very post is why Gabe has become one of my favorite Belmonts and for damn sure my favorite incarnation of Dracula: his character is tragic and you just can't help but feel so sorry for him throughout the entire thing. He is a compelling lead character and if I couldn't say anything else about LoS, I could at the very least say he's one of the best characters brought to series. He made me feel for him: I can't honestly say that about too many characters in the CV universe. And I'd play the last two games just to see how his story ends.  And MoF seems to be setting up a nice story for the rest of the Belmonts too, but we'll see. (I'm already feeling for Simon...XD)

At this rate, I'll admit, I'm not a fan of anyone from Gabe's past life: the Brotherhood (flipping users, XD), Zobeck (I really want to fight and put the beat down on him in LoS2 XD), or even Marie (due to the hiding the kid/not bothering to warn/help Gabe change his fate...) at this point.

I'm so annoyed this got pushed back until next year but hey, more time to fix any issues, like the framerate. And the artwork looks as beautiful as ever and the screenshots actually intrigue me.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:08:45 PM by Kamirine »

Offline gortaithe

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #3657 on: August 16, 2012, 05:06:15 PM »
i think it's pretty apparent, there needs to be a better reason... or event regarding gabriel's descent.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #3658 on: August 16, 2012, 05:46:44 PM »
+4
Like I said, I will be amazingly pissed and disappointed if they go the route of "It's Fate! See, right there in the title! You can't change fate! So don't even try and give up now!" Fuck. That. Noise.

It's so lazy a plot point, too. "Hey, how do we figure out how the Belmont's not only survive as humans after Gabe turned vampy, but how do they go on the blind crusade against him for eternity? Ooo, I know! We hand-wave it away with a magical MacGuffin! And don't worry, we'll only need to use it once but we'll base the whole game around it's name. GENIUS!"

Here's another plot point I'm going to loooooove to see turn out - What happens when Gabe or Trevor find out the truth? Gabe finds out he's got a estranged son that was hidden from him for decades and that Marie and the Brotherhood lied to him about it. What does he do? And what happens if Trevor finds out that, yeah, his dad's a vampire.....but the Brotherhood has been manipulating into fighting him and convincing him Gabe's totally gotta die because "Well, he killed your mother."? Does he ever find out about all the good Gabe did right BEFORE becoming a vampire?

Again, this is another thing that will piss me the fuck off if they continue with laziness and handwave again by saying "Well, Gabe's evil now so he doesn't care about his long-lost son from his beloved wife and won't have a shred of love for him and we need an antagonist, and Trevor is now Gabriel Jr. and all heroic and pure and will totally want to just kill his vampire-dad because a bunch of old farts told him to and...well...he's good and Gabe's evil THE END."

Impress me, Konami. Really. Show me you have great story-writers on your staff and just WOW me with how wrong I am in my speculations. Please. I'm practically begging you to.

- Sindra: CV Storyline Defender

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:51:54 PM by Sindra »

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3659 on: August 16, 2012, 06:44:31 PM »
+1
Here's another plot point I'm going to loooooove to see turn out - What happens when Gabe or Trevor find out the truth? Gabe finds out he's got a estranged son that was hidden from him for decades and that Marie and the Brotherhood lied to him about it. What does he do? And what happens if Trevor finds out that, yeah, his dad's a vampire.....but the Brotherhood has been manipulating into fighting him and convincing him Gabe's totally gotta die because "Well, he killed your mother."? Does he ever find out about all the good Gabe did right BEFORE becoming a vampire?

I completely forgot about that part! That is a really great question: how the hell is Trevor going to react once he finds out the truth about his father? I mean I just can't see it not coming up somehow, more so if Gabeula knows he's a Belmont.

Hmm...maybe this is were the Alucard thing comes into play? (I'm just going with Trevor = Alucard). I mean, if Trevor does find about the truth about the Brotherhood and his father, what if he willingly sides with Dracula instead of being possessed by Satan...Zobeck...whatever? Then during the course of events, for whatever reason, changes his mind and goes against Dracula? Maybe once Simon gets in the picture? (Like Simon makes Trevucard realize how much he lost his way and hits that part of his humanity he has buried deep down...or whatever. XD)
Or maybe instead of it being Satan or Zobek, Gabeula, realizing who he is, uses his own power to change/transform Trevor into Alucard. (I'm going on the grounds that Trevor = Alucard.)

Again, this is another thing that will piss me the fuck off if they continue with laziness and handwave again by saying "Well, Gabe's evil now so he doesn't care about his long-lost son from his beloved wife and won't have a shred of love for him and we need an antagonist, and Trevor is now Gabriel Jr. and all heroic and pure and will totally want to just kill his vampire-dad because a bunch of old farts told him to and...well...he's good and Gabe's evil THE END."

Impress me, Konami. Really. Show me you have great story-writers on your staff and just WOW me with how wrong I am in my speculations. Please. I'm practically begging you to.

- Sindra: CV Storyline Defender

I just...love you Sindra. So much.  :P But seriously, they better not fucking hand wave it: there's far too much potential or that.

Tags: .....? 

anything