Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 339712 times)

Offline JR

• Pavlov's Dong
  • Master Hunter
  • I clearly remember it being spelled WolfenSTAIN
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #1485 on: June 08, 2017, 01:53:47 AM »
JR@

Oh, I get absolutely livid when developers force you to make certain choices that literally step on your own morals. It's f**king stupid of them. Especially if all the choices revolve around going against what you want out of the game. What you want to see happen in the game. I don't know why they do this. Maybe they're secretly on the lookout for the next kid criminal or something. Just stupid of them. At least in reality there's always more then two choices to be made. Like Captain Kirk had said in Operation: Annihilate; "I want that third alternative!" Damned straight  8)

It just makes me shake my head when you're given two horrible choices in a game. It's like the developers wanted to be thought-provoking, but this kind of situation is just so played out now. It makes me think to myself, 'oh boy, here we go again...'

also been playing outland lately on my z-box.  it's a very nice looking metroidvania-type with light/shadow mechanics reminiscent of lords of shadow.  other than that, i don't know much about it, but it's turning out to be a really, really good game.

I have to get back to this one sometime. I got about an hour or so in, but then just quit for whatever reason.
I like big butts, but I do have the tendency to lie quite a bit.

Offline redrum

• ...Is it mad to pray for better hallucinations?
  • Master Hunter
  • Chaos is Beautiful...
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • redrum's domain
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #1486 on: June 08, 2017, 11:32:54 AM »
i'm probably an hour or two in and it starts getting really good once you get both the dark & light powers.
a well-crafted platformer with sort of a bullet hell idea going on with it?  i dunno but it's quite fun.

check out my site -
REDRUM'S DOMAIN

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #1487 on: August 05, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »
Cleared arcade mode in every game in Street Fighter Collection 1 & 2. The remixed music mode in collection 2 definitely has better voice acting (?) than the remixed music mode in NS version according to demonstration videos on youtube, IMO
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:25:24 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline JR

• Pavlov's Dong
  • Master Hunter
  • I clearly remember it being spelled WolfenSTAIN
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1488 on: August 06, 2017, 12:50:49 AM »
Playing Wolfenstein for PS3 (the one that came out before The New Order). Fairly decent, although the depiction of BJ Blazkowicz in this one is a bit jarring after playing the most recent two titles.

The collecting is starting to drive me nuts, though. I'm on my second run of that stage where you have to get the big guy to run into the pillars, and I've (again) missed some items that I can't go back and collect, which means I have to play the level a third time. Ugh. I'm going to have to resort to using a guide now. Other than that I like it, though.

Also played some Downwell since it's free on PS Plus this month. Pretty fun, haven't spent much time with it yet, though.
I like big butts, but I do have the tendency to lie quite a bit.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1489 on: August 11, 2017, 05:40:51 PM »
Playing Wolfenstein for PS3 (the one that came out before The New Order). Fairly decent, although the depiction of BJ Blazkowicz in this one is a bit jarring after playing the most recent two titles.

Played this game but never did finish it. I felt it was just too long and I lost interest in it. I was able to finish New Order since it wasn't nearly as long, that and I wanted to see where the story was going if not for seeing BJ knocking up his nurse lover  :-[

I've downloaded and played through Y's Origins several times already. It's a rather interesting game in many ways. The three characters you play all have their own stories that occasionally interconnect. And it is also interesting to see the origins of some of the items and weapons Adol eventually acquires, appear in this game. I particularly liked Yunica Tovah's character. In many ways she reminds me of Adol. It wouldn't surprise me if she were a previous incarnation of Adol's future character. Though her hair is not nearly as red as his, she has those same clear black eyes and determination to see the mission through.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1490 on: August 11, 2017, 07:22:25 PM »
Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 - Great emulation this time around, and the checkpoint system allows you to fix a mistake or even beat wily stages at your own pace.
------------

Sonic Mania - VERY SOON.
Ys SEVEN - At the end of the month, Soon.
Ys VIII - Soon-ish.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • We fresh outta the Met Gala, express power
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1491 on: August 11, 2017, 07:51:48 PM »
Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 - Great emulation this time around, and the checkpoint system allows you to fix a mistake or even beat wily stages at your own pace

The only reason I'd get Legacy 2 is for 8, which is possibly my favourite mm game of all time, side by side with 2. Unfortunately I already have 9 & 10 and I don't really care much for 7. 
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Chaos is Beautiful...
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • redrum's domain
    • Awards
« Reply #1492 on: August 11, 2017, 08:29:29 PM »
playing Crystalis on the GBC.
i've never gotten all the way through it, but i've heard the GBC version is more "complete" somehow?

check out my site -
REDRUM'S DOMAIN

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1493 on: August 11, 2017, 11:50:03 PM »
playing Crystalis on the GBC.
i've never gotten all the way through it, but i've heard the GBC version is more "complete" somehow?

I gave the GBC version a try when it was lent to me by my bro's friend. I only played snippets of the original NES title so I cannot draw a comparison as to which is more complete in terms of story, etc. Overall it was a good game on its own.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #1494 on: August 13, 2017, 10:58:17 PM »
I gave the GBC version a try when it was lent to me by my bro's friend. I only played snippets of the original NES title so I cannot draw a comparison as to which is more complete in terms of story, etc. Overall it was a good game on its own.

I've never heard anything about completeness but if I recall correctly the GBC and NES games have -completely- different storylines. Not a translation thing they just rewrote the storyline for the GBC. Maybe the original "God Slayer: Sonata of the Far Away Sky" (as it was called in Japan) name and story were too controversial or cliche by the time the GBC port was made, I don't know.

Also woo 100 pages \o/

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1495 on: August 13, 2017, 11:28:17 PM »
I've never heard anything about completeness but if I recall correctly the GBC and NES games have -completely- different storylines.

If this is the case then I've gotta sit down and play through the NES title in its entirety, just to see the differences.

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Chaos is Beautiful...
    • redrum's domain
    • Awards
« Reply #1496 on: August 14, 2017, 12:15:18 AM »
pulled this from the guide i'm using re: crystalis -

------------------------------------------
     |Differences Between The NES & GBC Versions|
      ------------------------------------------

When playing this version of Crystalis, it's pretty obvious that
     there is quite a few changes in the game. I will only list the big
     changes.

1. The storyline has changed a whole lot through the game. Think
     back to how the story went on the NES version, and you'll know
     what I'm talking about. Not only that, the music has changed, for
     the worst, I might add.

2. The GBC Cave, or Gameboy Color Cave. I call it this, because
     it's a new cave that can only be accessed on the GBC version,
     hence the name. It's a small cave, that has the Alarm Flute in it.

3. When you get either a Ball or Bracelet for a sword, they have
     an attack rating as well, which will increase your sword power.

4. Alot of the enemies have change, like the Killer Chest isn't as
     popular as it once was. Not only that, it seems any sword can kill
     any enemy atleast from what I can see.

5. There is a couple new items, well new in the sense that they
     wasn't in the NES version, but they are simple. The Necklace Of
     Fate and Kensu's Body (don't ask). Deo's Pendant (NES version) was
     changed to Stom's Pendant, but it works the same as Deo's Pendant.

6. Some of the names of locations have changed (Evil Spirit Island
     is now Island of Spirits for example). Also some of the story has
     changed from the NES version, but it's generally the same story.

7. Probably the big kicker, you have to defeat DYNA BEFORE
     fighting the final form of Dragonia. Here's another strange bit,
     you don't get the Sword Of Crystalis till after defeating DYNA,
     which you will use it on Dragonia's final form.

8. The Flying Tower (Floating Tower) went through a huge
     changeover, making it a bit more difficult to get through.

There's probably some other things, but these are the big ones
     that sticks out in my mind. Hope this doesn't confuse you that
     much ^_^.

some of these seem pretty big, but i've never played the NES version so i don't really have a point of reference...
i think it was my brother who told me about it being more complete, but he's not really around to ask what he meant.

check out my site -
REDRUM'S DOMAIN

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Chaos is Beautiful...
    • redrum's domain
    • Awards
« Reply #1497 on: August 22, 2017, 02:53:45 AM »
took a break from crystalis for a bit (save file is on my girlfriend's system) to play some other shtuff...

finally got around to playing the fan translation of POLICENAUTS, this game is great!  so far i think snatcher is better, but it's still an awesome pseudo-sequel.  if you haven't tried it, pick it, you can pick up the iso patch here - http://policenauts.net/english

also playing some really well done hacks of the genesis sonic games, since sonic mania hasn't come around for me to pirate yet.
these are definitely worth checking out -

sonic 2 adventure edition - sonic adventure style controls including homing attack & lightspeed dash. get emblems & save your progress.

sonic classic heroes - sonic 1 & 2 played sonic heroes style (switch between a team of 3 characters).  team sonic or team chaotix playable.

sonic color contrast - find monitors to restore color & music to the world.  really interesting and challenging concept

knuckles' emerald hunt - like the knuckles levels in sonic adventure, but in sonic 2's levels.  randomized placement & a fantastic music selection that can be changed or randomized gives this one some great replay value, also play as tikal if you want.

sonic 3 complete - a greatly improved version of S3&K with an amazing amount of customization options.  play sonic 3 & knuckles it the way it was meant to be played.

metal sonic hyper drive - play as metal sonic, vanilla sonic, somari & kirby.  new levels & music.

sonic 2 XL - rings are changed to onion rings.  gotta go fatter!

there's a ton more on the site here - http://info.sonicretro.org/Category:Hacks, but i highly recommend these particular ones to any old school sonic fan.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:22:08 PM by redrum »

check out my site -
REDRUM'S DOMAIN

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1498 on: August 22, 2017, 10:47:12 AM »
Oooo, those like like some good goodies  :o

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Chaos is Beautiful...
    • redrum's domain
    • Awards
« Reply #1499 on: August 22, 2017, 04:35:27 PM »
yeah i was only gonna list 2 or 3 but they're all so good...  forgot to mention the metal sonic hacks (of all 4 genesis games) that have several types of controls to choose from.  i had no idea people put so much work into these.

also dead cells got yet another update on 8/17 and continues to get better every time.  somehow i actually managed to beat it, well at least i think that i beat it...  can't really say without spoilers.  anyway, if you haven't tried it, you really should!
so i'm juuust gonna put this heeere, yeahhh... (⌐■_■)
https://mega.nz/#!pmpTRZpJ!9oYjc5A3iptdbuTxnYmmUAxmVNPg98H9IPA1T5T Pmx4

check out my site -
REDRUM'S DOMAIN

Tags: