Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: cell phone game recommendations  (Read 5610 times)

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:29:14 PM »
so i've been playing an increasing amount of cellphone games (almost as much as console sometimes) and the quality of these games has really improved over the past few years.  i've found some pretty good ones, though it's difficult to consider that i'm not missing some good ones .  if you know of any, post them and i'll check them out (preferably free, since i'm a notorious cheapskate).

here's a few good one's i've found-

-fairune

this is a an overhead action/adventure exploration game, much in the same vein as crystalis, zelda or hydlide.
also available on 3ds, this game is great quality & easy to play 8-bit style game.  it can be beaten in a few hours if you know what you're doing, and the puzzles and secret items make it very enjoyable.  certainly worth the free download.

-smash runners

what seemed to be a simple mario clone quickly turned into something far more interesting.  the online play is fantastic & addicting.
you race against several people from around the world and it has a large plethora of power-ups to take out your opponents with.  there's lots of (pirated) characters to choose from, including popeye, the black mage from final fantasy, the giana sisters, etc...
definitely give this one a run if you're into competitive online play that almost feels like a 2d mario kart.

-pinball deluxe

this is probably the best pinball game you can get.  the physics are astoundingly accurate and it controls extremely well.
there's 6 tables to choose from, including an arkanoid style one.  i've played this for hours on end & it's a fantastic time killer.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 07:46:42 PM »
psp emulator
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 11:43:58 PM »
fairune

I downloaded this title for my 2DS though I don't play it very often. I'll get stuck, then come back to it a few months from that point, and make it to the next part till I get stuck again. Curious game this one is.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 02:44:23 PM »
yeah it's a pretty nice gem compared to some of the shovelware that you find on such a platform.  i think my record is 1:28 for beating it, i think the DS version has a bonus dungeon, though.

also yeah emulators.  the on-screen controls are pretty clunky, but i've managed to beat some pretty difficult castlevania hacks using them.  i wonder how difficult a wii remote would be to calibrate to a phone...

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »
You can calibrate a WiiMote with a phone easily with the bluetooth adapter that's in the phone, and with WiiController IME for Android.
Though, admittedly, I haven't used that app in a while so it may be deprecated by now.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »
my girlfriend will be happy to hear that, she's sick to death of touch screens.

-sword of xolan

this is a great exploration platformer with lots of secret areas.  it has all the features of a current day platformer (double jump, secondary attack, etc.).  quite a few unlockable benefits & pretty good music, too.  very nice for a free game indeed.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:39:33 AM by redrum »

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 07:36:01 PM »
I really enjoyed Lara Croft Go.  It's not free, but it's only $5 and well worth it in my opinion.  It doesn't play much like a regular Tomb Raider game, but it's a clever puzzle game and works perfectly as a mobile title with touchscreen controls that are actually effective.

I also love Raiden Legacy.  It's just a compilation of the original Raiden and the three Raiden Fighters titles, adapted for the touchscreen.  It's $5.49 on the google play store.  There's really no good way for a shmup to work with touchscreen controls, but this is about as effective as you could hope.  If you aren't big into the Raiden series, this isn't going to change your mind though.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:38:37 PM by PFG9000 »

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 01:42:09 AM »
i've got a raiden compilation on console, this looks like a great mobile adaptation of that.  it's too bad touchscreen controllers are shit, but once i get around to adapting a wiimote, everything should be much more playable.  that lara croft game looks pretty nice, too.  i really dig the art style.

also, how's things oldman?  it's good to see you're still around.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 08:04:48 PM »
also, how's things oldman?  it's good to see you're still around.
Things are alright!  I've got a wife and kid and house and no time for anything fun.  I don't check these forums daily anymore, but I still stop in when I can.  What about you?  How are you and what's new?  I see your posts once in awhile on one of the Facebook CV pages.

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 10:21:03 PM »
there's always time for fun, pinky. :P
things are alright, i can't complain (well i can but it won't help anything).
got rid of facespace a while back, it's just too much mindless nonsense for me.
i'll probably be around here more often, at least when i'm at home.

anyway, here's another game you folks might like...

-stick ranger

now this is an interesting one, the simplistic graphics belie an increasingly complex game.
you play as a team of 4 stickmen (8 different warrior classes), who automatically shamble forth and fight, though you can drag & drop them wherever you please.  you gain gold & exp, level up, get a plethora of new items & traverse a massive overworld full of extremely difficult enemies.  very good time waster, my girlfriend scoffed at it until she gave it a shot & now it's hard to pry her away from it.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 07:36:19 AM »
Hold it!
There is evidence of a game series by Capcom on Mobile.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 09:32:54 AM »
Dark Incursion is a pretty good Metroidvania game with Moga controller support. Tight controls and solid gameplay, decent graphics.
Most of what Gameloft makes is really good
Don't get Megaman Mobile- the first few run choppier than GnG and 1942 on NES

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »
I'd recommend Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 for the iPhone/Android.  They are remakes as opposed to just ROMs stuffed into an emulator.  They have controller support, and the touchscreen controls aren't that bad if you don't have a controller on hand.  They also allow you to play as Tails (complete with ability to fly) and Knuckles.  The resolution is widescreen, so you have a bit more distance to see ahead of you.  They both have the level select cheats and debug mode cheats too (the debug mode has some new items and features), if you feel like mucking about with those.

Also, Sonic 2 brings back a scrapped level
(click to show/hide)
The same people who made these ports/remakes are also involved in Sonic Mania.  Man, kinda wish these remakes made it onto console.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 12:07:32 AM »
Also, Sonic 2 brings back a scrapped level

I know that stage. It was brought out in sonic III as the hidden Palace Zone where you find the large green chaos emerald.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »
I know that stage. It was brought out in sonic III as the hidden Palace Zone where you find the large green chaos emerald.

True, though the Sonic 2 version is different in many aspects.  Also the stage in the mobile ports is vastly different from the version in the betas.

Also want to note how ironic it is if you play HPZ (Sonic 2 mobile version) as Knuckles, since you'll prolly have to break many giant green emeralds to explore the stage.

Tags:

anything