Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What anime have you been watching?  (Read 18751 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 06:27:54 AM »
Oh, I dunno. I agree with Abnormal Freak. I loved the TV show much more than the OVA, which was kind of average to me.

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 08:27:20 AM »
I don't know what's so appealing about sub-par animation when you could have gorgeous animation. Or we-don't-even-know-ourselves-what-is-going-on plotting when you could have an entertaining free-for-all, over-the-top war scenario. The OVA even has Norio Wakamoto.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »
Sometimes Animation can be really crappy but there are the other elements that drag you in, put you in a submissive hold and there's just no way to escape until you've finished watching the flick.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 12:33:04 PM »
To be fair, I've only seen the first four episodes of Hellsing Ultimate, but I think the beginning stuff that both series covers is done much better in the TV series, and I don't see how this can be disputed because the whole first episode of Ultimate is incredibly rushed and just whizzes past everything; yet the fourth episode is incredibly redundant, drags things out to seemingly no end, and is just a gigantic waste of the 45 minutes it was given to tell and show something. Everything covered in it could've maybe been done in 25 minutes, leave the rest of the time for something more interesting. The TV show never once bored me like that.

I also don't think the humor is incorporated/executed very well in the OVA series, even though it tries to follow the style and art of the manga. The TV series pretty much left that out (save for the awesome "spirit of Harkonnen" shorts at the end of every episode), and for good reason.

The animation and art in the OVA series are pretty, sure, but there's something about the TV series that strikes me as having more craft even though the funds are limited and the animation isn't always the greatest. Better drawings and use of color, I think. It's probably accurate to say, however, that the OVA series is drawn more closely to how Kouta Hirano draws.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:35:35 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 01:14:50 PM »
Yeah, that's why I like it. The quirks of his style come off better, like the thick outlines and exaggerated limbs. The art direction in the original anime is just kind of plain, especially for a series where much of the main appeal is in the visuals.

It's not like the TV anime is fresh on my mind at this point -- must've been at least six years ago that I saw it -- but even then I couldn't really get into it like I thought I would (sans music). Then I read the manga and it was like "oh, so that's why."

Offline darkjak951

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: What anime have you been watching?
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »
You should skip the first Full Metal Alchemist altogether, imo. It's actually a remake, and not a sequel.
Claymore, i thought was very good until it deviated heavily from the manga and ends.
He actually should watch the original series first, people are actually quite divided on what version is better. Personally I think the original series tells a better story, however Brotherhood is great for building suspense and has some very well animated fight scenes. Can't go wrong with either, but I would watch the original series first.
I don't know what's so appealing about sub-par animation when you could have gorgeous animation. Or we-don't-even-know-ourselves-what-is-going-on plotting when you could have an entertaining free-for-all, over-the-top war scenario. The OVA even has Norio Wakamoto.
I'll agree with everything you said except for the animation part. You can have an Anime that has gorgeous animation, but has no soul. Take Gunslinger Girl, which looked pretty damn good for it's time but had probably the dullest characters, weak fight scenes, and a weak story with a sub par conclusion. Thankfully Hellsing Ultimate has some good animation and a pretty good story, not the best in the world but it's alright. Never finished the TV series.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:00:06 PM by darkjak951 »
Like giant robots? Join up if your interested:
http://www.amecha.co.uk/forum/index.php
My username on it is Gelboob794

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2011, 04:19:07 AM »
He actually should watch the original series first, people are actually quite divided on what version is better. Personally I think the original series tells a better story, however Brotherhood is great for building suspense and has some very well animated fight scenes. Can't go wrong with either, but I would watch the original series first.

I don't know... I'll agree that the original is good, but only to a point, it gets wacky stupid short of halfway through.

Offline darkjak951

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 12:52:08 PM »
I don't know... I'll agree that the original is good, but only to a point, it gets wacky stupid short of halfway through.
YOU may think that but probably he won't, just sayin'. Lets just wait n' see what he thinks.

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »
I'll agree with everything you said except for the animation part. You can have an Anime that has gorgeous animation, but has no soul.

I was talking strictly Hellsing TV vs. Hellsing OVA, you know. Not in generalities. I'm sure there are plenty of series where the animation is the weakest link, yet remain enjoyable because of their other strengths. It just so happens the only notable strength of the original Hellsing adaptation was the music, especially comparatively. I can always just listen to that on its own, which I oftentimes do.

Offline Oralox

• BANNED
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2011, 02:03:01 PM »
SO I watched the part of the  first episode of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Im wondering if im watching it right.
Because when I first see a television show or movie with the origin taken from the plot or in other words like they made something you are already supposed to know. Now a lot of you said brotherhood is seperate from the first fullmetal alchemist for being closer to the manga. Am I supposed to read the manga first before I watch?

Offline darkjak951

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2011, 02:26:19 PM »
SO I watched the part of the  first episode of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Im wondering if im watching it right.
Because when I first see a television show or movie with the origin taken from the plot or in other words like they made something you are already supposed to know. Now a lot of you said brotherhood is seperate from the first fullmetal alchemist for being closer to the manga. Am I supposed to read the manga first before I watch?
No that first episode kinda gives you an idea of what the Brothers and the other state alchemists can do. Otherwise, bear through the next 13 or so episodes since it will feel like an abridged version of the first TV series, they just do it the way the manga did it and get used to some characters not being a central character anymore(like Rose not being Ishvalen OR a central part of the story.....at all). Beyond those episodes though is something truly unique and totally worth watching if you are a fan of the manga or even the previous tv series.

Anyway, yeah finished Needless and it pissed me the hell off. 10 episodes was spent in the same room, granted there were some different fight scenes and stuff and some flashback episodes in the middle of a few showing some different scenery but it felt like i was watching DBZ. Now I liked that kind of thing in DBZ but, why is it bad in this series? The answer is simple: The series is 24 episodes long, ridiculous. Don't even get mee started with the shit ending. If anyone watches this series, watch it PURELY for the action. Then read the manga, you'll appreciate it more.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:30:13 PM by darkjak951 »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2011, 04:12:55 PM »
Yeap, it's just done differently. Much like the original series doesn't start with them as kids but in Istanbul or whatever spelling it is.

Offline Oralox

• BANNED
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2011, 02:46:45 PM »
Does anybody here watch black butler?
If so, then why is the butler white and not black like it says in the title of the series?

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 05:57:41 PM »
See? Racism and Reverse Racism, just because it used the word black, doesn't refer to the race... but you people, always assuming it does. Tsk tsk tsk, you are the reason racism still exist!

Always the race card!

Offline darkjak951

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 08:20:41 PM »
Continued watching After War Gundam X from episode 8 where i left off, and I am hooked. It's getting really good, despite the first few episodes being a little dull.

Tags: