Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Music you've been digging lately  (Read 270065 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: March 27, 2010, 06:36:30 AM »
This isn't a favorite music thread or anything like that—just curious what everyone has been enjoying recently (and maybe that includes some of your favorites).

For me, I've been on a bit of a David Bowie kick, and in particular have been listening to the albums Diamond Dogs and Iggy Pop's The Idiot (which Bowie produced and co-wrote). Really excellent stuff, so immersive; sounds that are dark, a little unsettling, and quite innovative, especially that Iggy album, which had to have been a heavy influence on post-punk and some industrial bands. The songs "Funtime" and "China Girl" particularly excite me a whole helluva lot.

From playing through Thief: Deadly Shadows a second time (cool game, but pales in comparison to the first two, which are some of my favorite games ever), I've been on a dark ambient kick. Downloaded its soundtrack—great stuff by Eric Brosius—and, since Coil's music has always reminded me of Thief (it ought to be the other way around, since Coil came much sooner; but since I discovered Thief first, Coil music will always "remind me of Thief music"), I've been listening to a lot of their musick lately: Black Antlers, Worship the Glitch, The Remote Viewer, Born Again Pagans ("pHILM #1" is such a wonderful track), and so many others.

Also, my dark ambient kick has reminded me of the excellent music by Aubrey Hodges for DOOM 64 and the PlayStation DOOM ports. Really good, dark, scary-sounding ambience.

What else? Currently listening to the Doubting Thomas album The Infidel. They were a rad Skinny Puppy side project. Cool industrial sounds and compositions.

Yeah, I think that's all I've been playing on repeat lately. There's lotsa other stuff here and there I've been digging, but nothing I spin repeatedly.

How 'bout you?
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 06:58:22 AM »
Oh yeah, there's also Pentagram. Been listening to some of their stuff in anticipation for their show this Tuesday. One of the earliest heavy metal bands, right there with Black Sabbath and the like.

Then there's Frankmusik, ha ha. I listen to some of his songs regularly. Really enjoy this video. It's the happiest thing of ever; I like this version of the song more, though.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:03:09 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Mobius

• Balls of Molten Steel
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 08:56:21 AM »
Peter Gabriel's "Shock the Monkey." Don't ask why. You're all seriously better off not knowing.

"When it comes right down to it, extinguishing a living soul is as easy as blowing out a candle."

Offline Raphael Belmont

• Completely New
  • Vampire Hunter
  • whatever!
    • Awards
Re: Music you've been digging lately
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:32:50 PM »
Pearl Jam - Oceans... i love this music....a lot....

Drac's army of zombie-trannie-weirdos

:-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »
Been on a bit of a Type O Negative kick lately. It's strange: I actually had the urge to listen to them on the day Peter died, hours before the rumors of his death had been going around the Internet.

Listening to "Bloody Kisses (A Death in the Family)" right now. One of my favorite songs of theirs.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 02:26:41 AM »
I've been listening to this song a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJLviAsnsIk

Along with other assorted anime OPs. 8)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 08:21:39 AM »
I've been listening to a lot of Neil Young lately.  Mostly because I'm too lazy to take the disc out of my CD player.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 05:46:29 PM »
I've recently caught the rest of the Thunder Force IV soundtrack off Galbadia and I've just been rocking out.  It's got to be one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard off the Genesis.  That stuff just rocks. Dwelling of Duels needs to get on this one STAT.

(This is also my first time experiencing the rest of the music in its true form; outside of hit-or-miss emu sound and the noisy Mono imposed by my RF Switch and Sega Genesis II.)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 03:02:30 AM »
I've been listening to Arsis a lot lately. I bought their album We Are the Nightmare, and I can't stop listening to it. It's technical death metal, but it doesn't sound much like death metal at all. They've got an excellent sense of melody, the the drums are relentless (and the drummer uses 4 snares, which is kind of distracting at first), the vocals are clear and sharp (and reminiscent of Jeff Walker from Carcass). People accuse the band of too much "guitar wankery," but I really enjoy stuff like that. Any fan of extreme metal should listen to it.

I'm really digging The Black Dahlia Murder, too. They're quickly becming one of my favorite bands. Another heavy band with a great sense of melody (and an actual sense of humor...just watch their videos). They made a song (and early demo) titled What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse, and no, that's not a coincidence, either: it was inspired by Castlevania. I have all four of these guys' full albums, and I love them all.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 05:02:01 AM »
I've been listening a lot to Crematory. They have really nice melodies and lyrics!!!!!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 03:24:04 PM »
Arsis are pretty sweet, but their debut, A Celebration of Guilt, is far better than anything else they've ever done, IMO. They started out with a bit of a focus on melody and brutality, but have since (well, after their A Diamond for Disease EP, I should say) become far too wrapped up in technicality. Most people I know who are big fans of their debut aren't too fond of their later albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHC9w7pCIMQ
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 03:28:17 AM »
I keep hearing the same about them. Everyone seems to like their debut, and the general consensus is that each album was progressively less enjoyable (until the newest one). I had just heard them after I dl'ed a Nuclear Blast sampler...it had the songs We Are the Nightmare and Shattering the Spell on it. I was blown away. I do really need to check out their debut for comparison's sake. I have a feeling I'll end up getting all of them, though.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 08:42:58 AM »
I haven't heard the newest one. I've been kind of bored of metal for the past two years or so. I keep thinking one day I'll get back into it in a big way, but I'm still waiting for that day, ha ha. In the meantime, I keep fighting off the urge to sell all my CDs, 'cos one day I just might miss them.

Certain bands still entertain me, though. Strapping Young Lad and Devin Townsend, mostly. Devin's just got something about him whether he's doing extreme metal or his solo stuff that intrigues my brain.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Juno106

Re: Music you've been digging lately
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 08:04:20 AM »
Nothing much...bits of stuff here and there

But I have been rediscovering something I've listened to for many years. A pair of obscure records from the mid 70s by a duo of sorts called Wavemaker, comprising of a classical composer: John Lewis and an original Dr Who sfx man: Brian Hodgson.
Primitive sounding at first but it's actually very sophisticated.

They do look kind of gay in this pic though  ;D

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 05:40:05 PM »
Spiralling by Keane.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: