Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Music you've been digging lately  (Read 270061 times)

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #675 on: August 27, 2019, 05:29:40 PM »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 05:32:01 PM by Super Waffle »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #676 on: September 23, 2019, 05:22:35 PM »
Rediscovering my teenage love of Type O Negative. Holy shizzlenit, October Rust is such a perfect album. Heavy nostalgia with this one, glad I never got rid of it during The Great CD Purge of 2013.

https://youtu.be/3e1gkynGXXM
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #677 on: October 26, 2019, 10:39:51 PM »
Broz, it's 2003 all over again. I've bought more music in one day this weekend than I have in a long, long time.

Started by going to Electric Fetus in Minneapolis since I was really jonesin' for some tactile CD goodness. Stores like Best Buy and Target barely carry CDs anymore so I figured I'd better go to an actual record store and support local business. Super great place, found some stuff I wanted.

Babymetal - Metal Galaxy
Front Line Assembly - Wake Up the Coma
OOMPH! - Unrein
Popol Vuh - Nosferatu the Vampyre Original Soundtrack

I've been on a big FLA kick lately and the new album is badass. I really dig this track with the dude from Paradise Lost:

Then I got some digital download bullshit 'cos hey, it's cheap and convenient and it's all getting loaded onto my new 256GB iPod touch anyway.

The Birthday Massacre - Walking with Strangers
Boris - New Album
Boris - Attention Please
Boris - Heavy Rocks 2011
Jakalope - Born 4

And right now I'm finally ripping my 3-CD expanded version of Nurse with Wound's Soliloquy for Lilith, so yeeeeaaaaah. Good stuff.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #678 on: October 04, 2020, 11:03:17 AM »
This might be the first time Necro-bumping a thread. But I guess since it's about music then.. :-\

Anyways, been listening to a lot of old school tunes lately (70s 80s stuff).

We can start off with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19o_0BLlNc0

Followed by this (It kinda sounds like it came from a video game)  ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ5KE_XzORA
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #679 on: October 18, 2020, 01:50:17 AM »
I've been listening to a ton of Benighted lately. I can't believe I've never heard of them until about a year ago...they've been around since '98. Great band from France...death metal and grindcore.

I really love the range of their vocalist. He's got like a dozen different voices, it seems like. Drums are great, riffs are interesting, and melodic every once in a while. I just can't get enough of this band.

I've really liked the handful of covers they've done, too. Like this cover of Slaughter of the Soul, one of my favorite melodic death metal songs. And what they did to it is fantastic, especially the crazy part toward the end. They have a really good Marduk cover too, with some great vocals.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:07:07 AM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #680 on: October 21, 2020, 11:07:10 PM »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #681 on: January 12, 2021, 08:58:31 PM »
Revisiting some industrial favorites tonight. Chemlab's debut full-length is SO DAMN GOOD.

Also, Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) died and that's some mad bullshit. Dude was so young, only 41. Hatebreeder is one of my all-time favorite metal albums with its alluring blend of power metal wankery and melodeath catchiness. Super ball suckingly bad that he's gone. RIP

Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #682 on: March 07, 2021, 02:25:37 PM »
Most of the music I'm into is old, so it's rare that I discover a new band.  But lately I've been loving an old French-Canadian folk-prog band named Harmonium.  They're fantastic.  I don't speak French, so I can't understand anything they sing, but it doesn't matter.  It's beautiful music.  Their second and third albums are some of that rare breed of music that elevates me to a higher place and becomes an obsession.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQFp67VoiDA

EDIT:  For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get those snazzy embedded YouTube links like ya'll are using.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 02:30:17 PM by PFG9000 »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #683 on: March 07, 2021, 10:45:51 PM »
<youtube>https://youtu.be/aQFp67VoiDA</youtube>

but with brackets [ ]

I think the trick is using the shortened URL which you get by clicking YouTube's share button, rather than copying the address bar.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #684 on: March 08, 2021, 10:58:54 PM »

I've been totally obsessed with this band since I first heard them several weeks ago. It's like black metal and punk, with a bit of surf rock and some psychedelic sounds, among other things. The album art is perfectly fitting for how this sounds. That lead guitar tone is just amazing. I love what they've done with the sound production. They have a demo and an EP that has a more stripped-down production, and seems a bit faster overall, and it sounds pretty good, too. This band led me to find Cape of Bats, as well, which is good, but I'm just trying to get used to the vocalist in that band. But Devil Master has totally blown me away.

Just discovered this one-man band about a week ago. Some of their songs sound a lot like a blackened Motorhead to me, in a way. I think the only one-man groups I've heard other than this are Midnight and Burzum, so I wasn't prepared for the tightness and the ability on this one. Sounds pretty slick to me.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 11:06:44 PM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
« Reply #685 on: March 09, 2021, 07:25:17 AM »
Some nice stuff you're posting.

Lately I've kind of gotten back into some EX-YU stuff.
Točak is probably the best guitarist we've had in our region, even if that's not saying much. Most of their stuff is pretty straightforward rock, though there are some prog inffluences and heavier sounds here and there:

Metal-ish prog with a non standard power trio(cello instead of bass methinks):

Blackened death or something. Pretty underrated band:

Have only heard a few of their songs, but I'm getting Muse vibes but without having to subject yourself to Matt Bellami's voice. At least in the sound, song structure is more straightforwatd:

Edit: Actually, calling them Muse-esque is a pretty big strech, but I'll take a chance to shit on Bellami any day.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 04:53:20 PM by Holy Diver »
Gotta get away

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #686 on: March 10, 2021, 09:22:39 PM »
That Heretical Sect song is pretty awesome. Really digging the vocals, too.

And Guano Apes! Haven't heard that song for a while! Definitely a great song. I remember when WWE used to play songs on Heat (I think?) and that was my first exposure to Open Your Eyes. I think I went out and bought the CD that same week, lol. But...also...they introduced me to Crazy Town, as well. Ugh. That was definitely a weird time for music, lol.

Also, Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) died and that's some mad bullshit. Dude was so young, only 41. Hatebreeder is one of my all-time favorite metal albums with its alluring blend of power metal wankery and melodeath catchiness. Super ball suckingly bad that he's gone. RIP

Damn, I didn't realize he was still that young. That album probably had the best sound production of them all, IMO. Gave it kind of a nice vintage sound. I liked how Something Wild and Follow the Reaper sounded, too, but Hatebreeder sounded great. Although Black Widow being the first song of theirs I heard may have had something to do with that, too.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 09:27:35 PM by JR »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #687 on: April 01, 2021, 09:16:50 PM »
Damn, I didn't realize he was still that young.

Finding out his age was definitely one of those sobering "Wait, he was only a few years older than me and I've accomplished nothing with my life" kind of moments.

Been jamming out to some old industrial favorites. Wax Trax! has revived and are remastering/re-releasing some catalog classics. Picked up TKK's Confessions of a Knife since I'd long sold my old copy.

They've got a remaster of Love's Secret Domain by Coil coming out and I cannot wait for that, especially since I don't have an original CD, only the crap remaster from the early or mid 2000s. The recent Coil remasters by Dais Records have all been excellent and LSD is being done by the same guy.

New Kanga came out, it's good. If the world ever returns to normal and bands tour again, I'd love to go see her live.

Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
« Reply #688 on: April 02, 2021, 01:24:42 AM »
Found these guys by chance. Some obscure croatian tech
thrash band. Music-wise, they seem to be pretty influenced by Vektor:

Damn, I didn't realize he was still that young. That album probably had the best sound production of them all, IMO. Gave it kind of a nice vintage sound. I liked how Something Wild and Follow the Reaper sounded, too, but Hatebreeder sounded great. Although Black Widow being the first song of theirs I heard may have had something to do with that, too.
Speak of the devil:

Been jamming out to some old industrial favorites. Wax Trax! has revived and are remastering/re-releasing some catalog classics. Picked up TKK's Confessions of a Knife since I'd long sold my old copy.

You seem to know a lot of industrial shit and I so far only know of Rammstein and Fear Factory. You got any recomendations or favourite bands in that genre?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 12:35:46 PM by Holy Diver »
Gotta get away

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #689 on: April 02, 2021, 10:15:36 AM »
You seem to know a lot of industrial shit and I so far only know of Rammstein and Fear Factory. You got any recomendations or favourite bands in that genre?

Speaking of Ramstein I heard this one not too long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQM1c-XCDc
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: