Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: We voted for the wrong guy? IGA  (Read 46026 times)

Offline Archangel

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2012, 03:47:11 AM »
OKay, now where is it stated that the vampire killer is the only thing that can kill dracula?

And about Hector. As someone else stated, he fought a possesed man, similar to Shanoa in OoE with Barlowe. Besides, why would he not be able to kill Dracula? He´s a devil forgemaster and learned under Dracula. And all the weapons you can buy in the game suck, so you have to create them through devil forging/alchemy. So what I am trying to say is, pretty much every weapon you use in Curse of Darkness is not just an ordinary one.... they are as special as the whip, which also was made through alchemy. Maybe they´re not as powerful, but I think you get my point.
But people can’t be ruled by power alone! The sacred, the honorable, the loved…those things can rule humanity. Something evil will eventually FALL TO RUIN!!

- Richter Belmont

Offline Sinful

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2012, 05:46:06 AM »
sinful, why is something so superficial as a whip so important to you?

Because that's the main thing that separates Castlevania from the other games.

well idk about that since his favorite cv is 3

Mine too! But it doesn't mean I beat the game yet or that I prefer it's difficulty over the others?... But honestly, I think the main reason his games are easier is because I read someone quoting IGA saying something along the lines of; "People like easy and/or beatable games." So he may just be giving people what they want, especially considering how today's generation views classic difficulty. ie. "Classic difficulty?! F that!" (Man, it breaks my hear everytime I read a review that meantion a game could have been better if it weren't so hard... especially when the game really isn't. Just requires you put in some more time to adjust to it's learning curve... But no, games today's must be beat during one playthrough only, otherwise it's a waste of time :rollseyes:)

This was the one thing that would have put Rondo from just "pretty good" to "godly" in my book. It's really a shame there were no difficulty options even in DXC.

AHHHH!!! Tell me about it!!!! And since I'm putting some more time in the PSP version for once instead of the unlocked original (I used I guide to get to ASAP because the 3D was throwing me off :P), I'm finding that the the game balancing the 3D games adds is to make the game overall easier still?! :o This blows my mind at such a missed opportunity. :'( I mean, so many Konami games seem to have a hidden difficulty/extra loop that changed/added much more gaming goodness, as if they actually cared for replay & the gamers that stuck with the game. Even though very few would actually experience said extra difficulty, this showed that they really did care for just them very few that would play and love this extra mode... So again, I blame us gamers for getting spoiled by easier games due to silly stuff like being able to whip in every direction. :rollseyes: I mean I'm not hardcore about playing hard games or really that amazing at them, but to me, these are the gamers to be looked up too if you ask me.

Basically, the whole 'IGA hates Belmonts/whips/MEEEEEEEE' is unfiltered dumb filtered through a ton of dumb.

No. I don't think you know what your talking about and that's because you probably prefer the IGA no sword type games too, maybe? Whatever, you can stick by what you like, but to me I don't think this matter is that complicated; Castlevania to many, especially classic vania fans, is mostly about the whip. The whip defines the gameplay (it's extra reach, the wind up delay to take consideration of, etc) for the most part. Take this out of Castlevania, and you now have a game that doesn't play as Castlevania anymore. So you see, it's really that simple (I mean, you don't see a main Mario game without a jump now, do you?).

Man, when I found that whip sword in Aria, I was so happy... then the next weapon upgrade just landed in my lap almost immediately. :'( (That's another thing, why do games have to have SO MANY DARN WEAPON & EQUIPMENT UPGRADES + SHOWED DOWN YOUR THROAT EVERY FEW MINUTES!! I find this really upsetting. :(

Create less games, but with good stories that could left a lasting impression, instead of infesting timeline with random characters and plots that would never lead to anything significant.
Quite simple really.

Exactly. Besides, I'd rather they just come up with something simple as "This so and so figured out how to revive Dracula yet again, only earlier." What's wrong with that?... And if you want more story, you can still add it, but just don't mess with series standards so much as that just leads to totally different games.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2012, 07:51:22 AM »
+2
No. I don't think you know what your talking about and that's because you probably prefer the IGA no sword type games too, maybe?

No it's probably because the whole 'IGA hates Belmonts/Whips/MEEEEEEEEE' is very dumb, maybe? The whole 'well maybe it's because you're a FRAUD OF A FAN WHO HATES THE CLASSICS' bullshit won't work here anymore than it worked on Puwexil in the Dracula X thread. It's the dumbest kind of strawman attack.

It's not like I ever did a run of Vampire Killer on one setting after all.

Vampire Killer Stage 1 by beingthehero
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:53:43 AM by beingthehero »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2012, 08:07:11 AM »
+3
Okay, seriously, everyone in favor of dumping Sinful in their ignore list say "aye".
And in case you didn't get the hint the first time, Sinful: you're an annoying dick.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:32:28 AM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2012, 10:21:27 AM »
OKay, now where is it stated that the vampire killer is the only thing that can kill dracula?
It's supposed to be the one weapon that is truly effective against vampires, because it was forged through alchemy with a vampire's soul.

Vampire Killer is the symbolic weapon of the CV franchise, and the Belmonts are supposed to be the ones, who armed with their whip, defeat Dracula every century. They even left the whip to the Morrises for a long time. The whip has always been very important, and Belmonts have always been very important. Even in games like CV3, where you have allies, there is a Belmont present. but then you have people who defeat him without any Belmonts or Vampire Killers around. It cheapens the Belmonts importance to the story, and makes Dracula very nonthreatening when you dont need to be an experienced Vampire Hunter or the Son of Dracula to take him out.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2012, 10:37:43 AM »

And about Hector. As someone else stated, he fought a possesed man, similar to Shanoa in OoE with Barlowe. Besides, why would he not be able to kill Dracula? He´s a devil forgemaster and learned under Dracula. And all the weapons you can buy in the game suck, so you have to create them through devil forging/alchemy. So what I am trying to say is, pretty much every weapon you use in Curse of Darkness is not just an ordinary one.... they are as special as the whip, which also was made through alchemy. Maybe they´re not as powerful, but I think you get my point.

What are you talking about? It was always insinuated that the Vampire Killer was the only weapon that could defeat Dracula. It was Castlevania's equivalent to Legend of Zelda's Magical/Master Sword. And it was always implied that only a Belmont could wield it. SotN was the first game that strayed from this formula and it was the sixth game in the series, not counting the Game Boy games.

But now, because of Iga, my neighbor across the street can kill Dracula with a frisbee.

Iga's a dick.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »

What are you talking about? It was always insinuated that the Vampire Killer was the only weapon that could defeat Dracula. It was Castlevania's equivalent to Legend of Zelda's Magical/Master Sword.

True whip of evil bane or something. Might play zelda later on now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:05:38 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »
Hear's an idea. Call me crazy and someone please correct me if I am wrong but why not have castlevania's with different characters,yet not fight dracula. How do I explain my reasoning for this.
I believe, that is direction in which franchise should have went. Preferably using Bloodlines as template, sort of. This direction was on the surface since LOI, and POR and OOE skimmed it, somewhat. But in both cases developers chickened out and put mandatory Dracula battles in the end. POR particularly suffered from this, since its plot was quite solid even without Dracula's presence.

Offline paulstanley

• Prince of Hearts
  • Hunter in Training
  • Love isn't sorrow and pain
    • Awards
Re: We voted for the wrong guy? IGA
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
+2

As I recall (besides Hector being powerful), in the cutscene after Dracula's defeat, it was said that Dracula was defeated because his resurrection was incomplete, so he wasn't at his full power. There's one explanation for a defeat by a random nobody.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »
I believe, that is direction in which franchise should have went. Preferably using Bloodlines as template, sort of. This direction was on the surface since LOI, and POR and OOE skimmed it, somewhat. But in both cases developers chickened out and put mandatory Dracula battles in the end. POR particularly suffered from this, since its plot was quite solid even without Dracula's presence.

I agree with PoR, since Brauner was already kind of a bitchin' villain. Definitely the best non-Dracula villain the series had. But on the other hand, PoR's Dracula was the first Lugosi-type we had in quite some time, Chronicles notwithstanding. Even the KCEK games used SotN's Drac.

Also yeah, in every single case of so-called 'nobodies' fighting Dracula, he was never at his full power. IGA's games always outright stated that. Only when Dracula is resurrected at the 100-year-point is his power too great for anybody but a Belmont with the VK to kill. Alucard, Hector, Nathan et al. fought D-dawg before or after such time, and his power was never complete.

Speaking of Nathan, I'm surprised nobody brings him up or Reinhardt when they bitch about nobodies defeating Dracula, but bring up Jonathan. I guess because they have a whip, even if it's not even the vampire killer?

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2012, 01:17:43 PM »

Speaking of Nathan, I'm surprised nobody brings him up or Reinhardt when they bitch about nobodies defeating Dracula, but bring up Jonathan. I guess because they have a whip, even if it's not even the vampire killer?

Nathan graves ok, but as for Reinhardt, At one point was he not going to be called reinhardt schneider belmont. Alot of things happened to the n64 version and I recall this being one of them, and as for the vampire killer Reinhardt did use it last time I checked.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
+1

Probably because most people don't consider their games canon.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2012, 02:59:14 PM »
I've read someplace that Reinhardt was suppose to have Belmont as a last name but they changed it for some reason.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2012, 03:11:27 PM »
I recall the IGA timeline stating that CoTM and the N64 games were not canon to the timeline.

Another Example of non Dracula was Aria and Dawn, and veeeery technically- the novel that came after.

None had Dracula as a villain, (except for Dawn but that's a much different story, ironically better than the main one)

the novel itself if I recall, has Olrox as the villain, trying to take over the void of power Dracula left behind.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »

What are you talking about? It was always insinuated that the Vampire Killer was the only weapon that could defeat Dracula. It was Castlevania's equivalent to Legend of Zelda's Magical/Master Sword. And it was always implied that only a Belmont could wield it. SotN was the first game that strayed from this formula and it was the sixth game in the series, not counting the Game Boy games.

But now, because of Iga, my neighbor across the street can kill Dracula with a frisbee.

Iga's a dick.

And yet the vampire killer was never necessary to defeat Dracula in any of the games. Why have a story about a whip that's the only weapon that could kill Dracula when in reality, you can kill him with axes, knives or whatever you see fit? If the vampire killer was that important to the creators of the original Castlevania games (Before IGA), surely they would've made Dracula invulnerable to everything but the whip, in-game too, not just in the story. At least in Zelda you NEEDED silver arrows.

And then we have people like Grant, Sypha and Eric Lecarde (Again, before IGA) - Were they Belmont descendants? They sure killed Drac on a number of my playthroughs though, and none of them used the vampire killer.

I don't know everything about the Castlevania storyline though. Maybe I got things wrong. Maybe IGA is guilty of everything. I, however, feel that the original games left the story-line wideopen for interpretations.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:50:01 PM by shelverton. »

Tags:

anything