Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What is your opinion on Lament of Innocence, it's story and voice acting?  (Read 10743 times)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: What is your opinion on Lament of Innocence, it's story and voice acting?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 10:10:04 PM »
His reason for all this:  He's bored.  No revenge.  No grudge.  Just a powerful, evil vampire who is bored and needs entertainment.
Which is why he's sometimes regarded as a troll.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 09:01:57 AM »
The music is definitely what you expect to find in a CV (unlike LoS)
Anti-Soul Mistery Lab beg to differ.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 09:33:36 AM »
Anti-Soul Mistery Lab beg to differ.

Yea, definitely my least favorite out of the LOI soundtrack.

But still not all that bad.

My favorites would have to be Ghostly Theatre,Palace of Waterfalls,Garden Forgotten by Time,and Leon's Theme.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 10:57:21 AM »
I love Anti Soul Mystery Labs bgm. it has a neat techno beat to it, but still retains a Castlevania sound.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 11:41:06 AM »
Yea, definitely my least favorite out of the LOI soundtrack.

But still not all that bad.

My favorites would have to be Ghostly Theatre,Palace of Waterfalls,Garden Forgotten by Time,and Leon's Theme.

Agreed.

My only gripes about the game are that it was a little on the short side, the flatness of the areas, and the execution of the story.  Great concept, but poor execution (this is something that seems to be plaguing the franchise).
Behold my power and tremble

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 11:52:54 AM »
Agreed.

My only gripes about the game are that it was a little on the short side, the flatness of the areas, and the execution of the story.  Great concept, but poor execution (this is something that seems to be plaguing the franchise).

I have always said that if LOI actually had the level design and exploration of the N64 titles it would have been MUCH better.

Just imagine the graphics,gameplay,and soundtrack of LOI with the exploration and platforming of the N64 titles.

Definitely a true 3Dvania winner in my book.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2011, 02:19:18 PM »
I love Anti Soul Mystery Labs bgm. it has a neat techno beat to it, but still retains a Castlevania sound.

Agreed. It's one of my favorite track in LoI.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2011, 02:35:14 PM »
I think Anti-Souls Mystery Lab is not that bad of a song. I can see why some might be turned off by the dance beats, but in it's heart, the melody is pure CV. If it would've been arranged differently, I can see more people liking it.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2011, 08:28:09 PM »
Which is why he's sometimes regarded as a troll.

Those look like the most uncomfortable boots ever.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2011, 09:59:37 PM »
Those look like the most uncomfortable boots ever.
Oh, but comfort is often sacrificed in the name of fashion, especially in the olden days.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 02:47:34 AM »
The game itself was decent. The ass level design is what keeps me from replaying it but it definitely has good points. I liked how they tried to combine elements of the old school games with new stuff (for example, outside of the lack of a clock tower the levels were pretty much identical in theme to CV1's, and IGA had said he originally wanted the combat to focus only on whip + subweapons). The music was gorgeous as was the atmosphere at parts.

Story? Ehh, don't care one way or the other. The best thing I can say for it is the very obvious echoes of Bram Stoker's novel. LoS is a better executed origins story (if for no other reason than having a larger budget to work with), but I find origins stories to be pretty stupid and unnecessary to begin with, so...

Voice acting? Goddamn hilarious. It's not the acting that's bad, but rather the terrible writing in combination with really bizarre emphasis on certain lines that steep it in cheese. Again, as with LoS, good actors can't save a bad script.

I love Walter's voice though. When he screams "WHAAAAT?" it reminds me so much of Oogey Boogey in The Nightmare Before Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:56:10 AM by Munchy »

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 06:39:41 AM »
ASML was the best song on the soundtrack.  Why?  Because it was different.  It dared to try something different, and was even successful in melding what is popular today, electronic house music, with an elegant, at it's heart, pure Castlevania beat.  People also seem to ignore that the GFBT as well, has similar elements in it's composition.  All the other tracks are arrangements and tone we've heard before.  Is that what people want?  The same recycled stuff over and over again?  And it baffles me when people praise the CoD soundtrack.  It came and went so quietly, completely uninspired, that I didn't even notice it was there.  The music in LoI demands attention.  It was definitely an evolution from SotN, and it irks me that people just want the same sound over and over again.  Let's be a little more open minded here.  Of all the tracks in LoI, ASML had the biggest balls, and it succeeded with confidence.

Let me elaborate on that.  One of my favorite tracks from SotN was the theme of the coliseum.  I never hear people complaining about the fact that it's an almost entirely subdued jazz piece.  It was new, it was fresh, it became a staple of Castlevania because the series has been experimental, especially the soundtrack, since it's inception.  Don't even get me started on the electric guitars ("But that's soooo Castlevania!!" ... "okay ... right").  Need I even mention Rondo, which had similar stylings?  BAH I say.  BAH.

Final note:  Rainbow Cemetery would like to have a word with those thinking "techno" originated in LoI.  Hell, it wasn't even difficult to turn it into a dance remix:  Castlevania - Dracula X: Remixies - Cemetery of Rainbow (Kenn.N/Disco King records)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:54:23 AM by Sonic_Reaper »

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 08:01:38 AM »
Voice acting? Goddamn hilarious. It's not the acting that's bad, but rather the terrible writing in combination with really bizarre emphasis on certain lines that steep it in cheese. Again, as with LoS, good actors can't save a bad script.
LOL, everybody remembers this one, "I'll kill you AND THE NIGHT!!!!!".  ;D

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 01:32:49 PM »
Anti-Soul Mystery Lab is probably one of my most favorite tracks in the series. Because it's a good track and pretty unique for the series.
Generally I think that LOI OST was more experimental in nature, than soundtrack of the "run of the mill 2D metroidvania". That why I like it. Another reason - because LOI was the last game with really good soundtrack until OOE, IMO.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 02:25:07 AM »
Well, Curse of Darkness was having a decent soundtrack, but i have to agree that OoE was having the most interesting soundtrack after LoI!!!
Ruler of Chaos

Tags:

anything