Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: JPN PSN Chronicles & SOTN  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »
This article shows how to set up a Japanese PSN account on any PS3. My question is, assuming Castlevania Chronicles is on PSN, is it exactly the same version as the disc release? I'd heard the US version of the game excluded some things (the doll voices for one) and I'm curious to have a legit copy of the Japanese game without importing the disc.

Same goes for Symphony of the Night: is it on the Japanese PSN, and which version of the game is it? If I recall, there was a greatest hits type release that had some additional features (like the fairy singing "Nocturne").

And are there any other Castlevania games or games of note on the Japanese PSN? Either stuff unavailable on the US PSN or significant regional differences (gameplay or graphical).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:50:09 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »
My question is, assuming Castlevania Chronicles is on PSN, is it exactly the same version as the disc release? I'd heard the US version of the game excluded some things (the doll voices for one) and I'm curious to have a legit copy of the Japanese game without importing the disc.

Do the dolls say anything before you attack them? I'm only familiar with their death screams when you kill them.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 06:31:42 PM »
Yeah, they say things in Japanese, though I don't know what.

Elbryan42, who used to post here, swears by the Japanese version being better.

Video Review - Castlevania Chronicle: Akumajou Dracula

To summarize: Japanese voices are missing (there may be more than the dolls), and a mechanic that allowed you to destroy blocks with subweapons has been removed, which ruins a 1-up trick.

That and the Japanese title screen just looks a whole lot cooler than the cheaply plastered on Castlevania logo.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:13:10 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:27:13 PM »
Since I don't have PS3, I cannot prepare a reply.
That only one can be said, Castlevania Chronicles hasn't been released yet in Japanese PSN.

EDIT
*Destroy blocks with subweapons: This is the error of the Japanese version Chronicles. In the Akumajo Dracula X68000, a wall cannot be broken by subweapon.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:52:42 PM by Koutei »
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 08:39:29 PM »
Ah, so it was a glitch of sorts and not in the original computer game. Still baffles me that they would have removed the dolls' voices from the US release.

I might just have to buy Nocturne in the Moonlight to see whether or not it's the "PlayStation The Best" version. Either way it'll be nice to have a readily available download version to play.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 05:49:24 AM »
For some reason, I think I have a Japanese copy of Chronicles.  I'm not totally sure, which is sad.  If I have time, I should dig it out and play up to that level to see what the voices are like.

Thanks for the info on making a Japanese account.  I'd really like to buy DoDonPachi and a few other Japanese exclusives.  Do you know of any comprehensive list of all the Japanese PSN releases?

EDIT: After an exhaustive 15-second google search, I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PSone_Classics_%28Japan%29.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:51:21 AM by PFG9000 »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:04:03 AM »
I found it distracting whenever the camera was moved and you hear all that clicking and other bits. It would be a much better video if he paused it before moving the camera around.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »
I have a Castlevania Chronicles JPN Disc.
I also have Castlevania Chronicles (PSN PSX USA version).
Lastly, I had the ROM for the original Akumajo Dracula, which I played on ex68 (an emulator for PC).

The voices are missing in the USA version for the dolls.  The voices used to say "Who are you?" and "Stop!" I think.  The phrases were "Omae wa dareda?" and "Yamete!"

One thing I used to think made the USA version worse (besides the missing voices) was the inability to switch the audio to RolandGS or Original FM Synth.
However, I later learned that you can enable the game to play these tracks instead of the new tracks by holding L+R or something, while selecting Arranged Mode.  So that alone nixed that negative, but it took a while for that little factoid to be found out.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
I think it's available in original mode as well. I think you hold down all of the shoulder buttons to get the options menu.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 04:57:22 PM »
I feel like the guy is nitpicking too much.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 06:47:42 AM »

I might just have to buy Nocturne in the Moonlight to see whether or not it's the "PlayStation The Best" version. Either way it'll be nice to have a readily available download version to play.

I think Nocturne is the better version, although more irritating to access the map. 4 reasons are:

-The extra areas which make traversing the map less rigid/ awkward (the music in the areas are great tracks also)
-Maria is my favourite character
-I know the PS controller is awesome, but the Saturn button layout of the original gamepad is a lot more fluid for Nocturne, I was surprised - it feels like a different game to me
-the tracks sound better; sharper and louder
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »
Well, uh...OK! But I was wondering if the PSN release is the original PSX version of the game or the "PlayStation The Best" version which has a couple extra goodies. :) I'm not sure how the title "Nocturne in the Moonlight" came to refer to the Saturn game exclusively for a few people.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »
Well, uh...OK! But I was wondering if the PSN release is the original PSX version of the game or the "PlayStation The Best" version which has a couple extra goodies. :) I'm not sure how the title "Nocturne in the Moonlight" came to refer to the Saturn game exclusively for a few people.

Hmmm not sure it depends on whether the original PAL version had the extra goodies or not. All I can say is the SOTN I bought on the US PSN seems to be exactly the same as the original PSX PAL release. I have a very good memory and I don't recall anything different between the two.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD