Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So I wrote a thing... Primer for non-fans interested in the netflix series.  (Read 4732 times)

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Hope you guys like it, share it to friends and family if you want.

https://creators.co/@AlexCalvoBelmont/4305227
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Hope you guys like it, share it to friends and family if you want.

https://creators.co/@AlexCalvoBelmont/4305227

Nice. It's straight to the point, resumes the entire situation of the show and gives a simple explanation of the CVIII themes. I'm sharing this on the CV group.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Nice read. Just got thrown off by the PoR female enemy pic being the first illustration lol

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I shall give you the answer along with your death!
    • Awards
Definitely a good read for those not familiar with the series.

However, the part about Chaos is wrong. Chaos is the personified power of Dracula, not a source with its own will that can deny Dracula his powers every time it wants. It obeys Dracula, it's not a separate entity with its own free will.
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
https://nowloading.co/p/castlevania-netflix-everything-need-to-know/4305227

Thanks for the support.  And about Chaos, I just posted what I got out of the two games, and it's close enough to get the point across.  I also took into account what Cv3 said about how he became so powerful.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
I don't want to detail the thread, so feel free to ignore this, but Chaos has nothing to do with Dracula's powers. This misconception seems to stem from Aria's translation being sloppy in certain parts. It's actually better explained in the Japanse version. Chaos is the personification of Dracula's evil will, or in other words, his desire to do evil things. It's in turn the results of humanity's wish for a Dark Lord. After Soma defeats Graham, Arikado mentions that this evil will is flowing into Soma. This is why Chaos is the final boss of the game and why Soma turns evil after he loses to Chaos in the bad ending. I hope that clarifies things.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:40:23 AM by Nagumo »

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I don't want to detail the thread, so feel free to ignore this, but Chaos has nothing to do with Dracula's powers. This misconception seems to stem from Aria's translation being sloppy in certain parts. It's actually better explained in the Japanse version. Chaos is the personification of Dracula's evil will, or in other words, his desire to do evil things. It's in turn the results of humanity's wish for a Dark Lord. After Soma defeats Graham, Arikado mentions that this evil will is flowing into Soma. This is why Chaos is the final boss of the game and why Soma turns evil after he loses to Chaos in the bad ending. I hope that clarifies things.

Exactly, it's not the source of Dracula's power or a separate entity, it's just the personification of his darkness. When Souma fought Chaos, he basically fought Dracula inside himself and by defeating him, pacified him.
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards

Considering your response as a whole, it looks like you're talking of chaos in general. That being the case:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:26:19 AM by theplottwist »

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
I always love to inspire discussion, but to get things back on track...  The article on nowloading.co is just shy of 3,000 reads in a day and a half.  Big thanks to Plot for posting it on the facebook group, and anyone else who has shared it anywhere else.  It is officially my most successful article ever, by a lot.

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Considering your response as a whole, it looks like you're talking of chaos in general. That being the case:

(click to show/hide)

Well yes, chaos is humanities evil. However, I was talking about the AoS final boss, Chaos, which is not chaos, as in evil, in itself. As we clearly see in DoS, Souma did not destroy chaos, thus all evil, permanently. If anything, he only cut himself off from it so that he would not fully become Dracula again.

The point remains that neither Chaos nor chaos has sway over Dracula, however. While Dracula is reborn by the evil desires of humans and there is a need for a Demon King/Satan, there is nothing that implies that Dracula is somehow subservient to chaos, the creature, or chaos, the evil of humanity. His evil will spawned from his wife dying twice. Chaos, meaning the evil of humanity itself, might amplify his evil (perhaps this is what makes him ignore the epiphany he had at the end of SotN?) but it is most certainly not the source of his own evil or intentions.

We know that Dracula's power comes from the Crimson Stone (and maybe the Ebony Stone, if he indeed crafted it anew) and the killing of countless other Demons. He spend centuries growing in power. If chaos indeed was his source of power in such a literal way, he would have no need of amassing power in the first place. I think it's more of a case of "chaos created evil creatures because humanity is evil/wished for it, Dracula killed a lot of them to become more powerful." In that sense, it would be the source of Dracula's power, since it created evil monsters and obviously existed way, way before Mathias ever entered the picture. If chaos was indeed the source of all evil or of all of Dracula's power so directly, why would it need Dracula in the first place? Would it not just break out from its own realm and be the Demon King itself? It doesn't, because it can not. It has no will of its own or probably even concious. It is just fuel for dark magics.

Lastly, I'd like to stress once more that there is nothing implying that Dracula is somehow subservient to Chaos, neither the boss nor the chaos born from humanity. In fact, it seems the other way around. To continue your analogy, fuel is not the master of the car. A car might not work without fuel, but fuel has no say over if/when it gets to be used by the car and the driver.

P.S.: Congratulations on the success of the article. Let us hope that many non-Castlevania fans are also reading it, so that they might better understand the series and thus, the upcoming show.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:51:58 AM by DraculaCronqvist »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
Discussion moved to my own thread to avoid derailing. Sorry for the derailment, AlexCalvo!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:06:52 AM by theplottwist »

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Also picked up by Moviepilot.  Currently at 4.6K reads.
https://moviepilot.com/p/castlevania-netflix-everything-need-to-know/4305227

It's also on the top 10 articles for the month list. 
https://moviepilot.com/p/favorite-creators-articles-june/4308851

Currently tied for second place.  So I'd appreciate if anyone would like to vote for me.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 07:17:07 PM by AlexCalvo »

Offline VEP

• Vampire Exterminator Pixelite
  • Hunter in Training
  • Vampire Exterminator Pixelite
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Castlevania Legacy
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
I really loved the read. It's crazy that this was in away a decade in the making.

It will be interesting to see what comes of all this. It the mean time we can just enjoy the binge watching.

Keep up the writing.

Tags:

anything