Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Think we'll ever get a Positron Rifle in real life by 2035?  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Gambit Belmont

• Kinetic Vampire Hunter
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Think we'll ever get a Positron Rifle in real life by 2035?
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:43:19 PM »
AoS Positron Rifle

You think we'll have the technology by 2035 to develop a rifle that can safely fire a concentrated beam of positive electrons?  I mean if we've already used a sort of electron "gun" to constantly fire electrons at the inside of a CRT Television box for the past 60 years, I don't see why we wouldn't be able to develop something that can fire a concentrated beam of positive electrons.  Sure it'd take a LOT of power to keep fired, but still. 

Your opinions?

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: Think we'll ever get a Positron Rifle in real life by 2035?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:01:05 PM »
Don't know about a positron rifle, but once I read a cool article called "Where the **** is my flying car?"
The article had explanations about different technologies in science fiction and why we don't have them in real life yet.

One of them was about laser pistols. If we use laser technology for a whole bunch of stuff, why nobody made a laser pistol yet?
Well, the answer is quite simple. A laser which is powerful enough to instantly burn through a person's skin would have to be friggin' huge and require a shitload of energy. Creating one is possible, but reducing it to the size of a pistol isn't. Still, it said a military laser CANON was already built and can be installed on a helicopter or something of similar size.

It had explanations for other stuff as well, like personal jet devices (Already built; but too big & heavy, too difficult to control and wastes too much fuel to be manufactured in commercial purposes)
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:32:21 AM »
Creating one is possible, but reducing it to the size of a pistol isn't. Still, it said a military laser CANON was already built and can be installed on a helicopter or something of similar size.

More specifically a 747 jet is used to house the laser weapon. They need a aerial vehicle that big just for the type of cargo it's carrying; chemical vats. The aircraft is armed with what's known as a chemical laser. A chemical laser works by using different chemical agents which interact with one-another in order to produce the necessary amount of energy the laser requires. The other type of laser is called the dry laser. This type unfortunately is not nearly as feasible with current battery cell technology.

As for the positron rifle; it was popularized in the 80's and was the main focus for the type of weapons employed by the Ghostbusters. The proton pack is essentially a positron collider and fires a wavy stream of highly charged protons.

"Why worry. Each one of use is wearing an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back." -Peter Venkman
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gambit Belmont

• Kinetic Vampire Hunter
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 02:49:34 PM »
Well yeah, obviously we wouldn't be able to practically reduce it to the size of a usable pistol.  But why not a rifle?  Of course, we still even wouldn't be able to do that today.  But what if we were able to to by 2035? :p

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »
Even if there is such weapon in 2035, I wouldn't want one. What good would it do to us?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 07:05:52 PM »
But what if we were able to to by 2035? :p

It's entirely possible, yes. At the rate in which technology is developing we might have positron weapons even earlier the 2035.

I've been checking around at humanity's rate of techno-growth. From what I've gathered, the amount of evolution for our civilization's technology and other things during the twentieth century would be the equivalent of ten 19th centuries rolled up into one. We are now in the 21st century and given the current state of our rapidly evolving technology I firmly believe that the aforementioned equation above still applies. In other words; the 21st century's rate of development will the equivalent of ten 20th centuries in one. Now that's fast! But also very dangerous.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 11:37:39 PM »
I wouldn't like to be that optimistic, X. Around a year ago, I read an article by an expert of technology. The writer was stating his concern about what he sees as a lack of innovation in technological development in the last decade. He says technological development is stagnating, because companies are concentrating on perfecting existing technologies instead of inventing new ones. 

To explain this theory of his, he tells the readers of his long experience with technology. He then tells the readers what most of them don't know, or don't remember- That "innovations" like basic mobile phones, simple laptops, and even basic internet and email- already existed in the late 80's. Sure, those things were very rare and primitive, but that's not the point. The point is, the technology already EXISTED 30 years ago.

What new technology did we add to our homes in the last decade? Ipods? Bah! Not an innovation. GPS? cool, but probably existed as well a decade or more ago. Hybrid cars? Far too few and not an alternative to fuel. So yeah, our computers become stronger and better, and everything is digitized, but there's nothing new about it.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 01:50:05 AM »
Well I wasn't strictly referring to just innovation. But compared to last the century everything is moving at an incredible rate. Not just technology but other things too. I apologize if I wasn't clear on that  :)

Tags:

anything