Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1101703 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1545 on: August 26, 2015, 04:29:19 AM »
If you change the shading on his hand to a darker shade (like his face) it could be the arm swinging away from the camera.
As it is, it looks like it's in front of him, and short a bit.  Just a bit, though.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline AuraTeam

• Hunter in Training
  • God cooked my dinner once again
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 2nd Place 2015 -  Christmas Award 2nd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1546 on: August 26, 2015, 06:50:37 AM »
A little Sprite work from my side, MoF's Trevor ;D
its my first Cv Character sprite

-RaghaV AT

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1547 on: August 30, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »
Excellent use of color man. It looks great. The only thing that looks odd to me is the raised arm. It looks pretty short, and doesn't appear to bend enough to justify the short length of it. It kind of looks like he has only a lower arm, and the elbow is connected to the shoulder.

If you change the shading on his hand to a darker shade (like his face) it could be the arm swinging away from the camera.
As it is, it looks like it's in front of him, and short a bit.  Just a bit, though.

Thanks for the input, guys. The intention was to make it look like his arm is far and bent, but it looks like I screwed up a bit :P I'll fix that and post it here later.

For now, I bring other sprites I was toying with, with my project in mind. Alucard Spears!

In fact, they are all the same spear, but constantly evolving. The idea here is that the spear has both holy and dark atributes in it's "brown" forms, but it's final form is defined by Alucard's performance on evolving the spear. The final form can be either majoritarily holy, or majoritarily dark.

Alucard can attack with a fast but weak and short stab using the spear's base, and a strong, but slower and longer stab using the spear's head. In the brown forms, both tips have both holy and dark atributes, but in the last form the head receives a significant elemental upgrade over the base, becoming much stronger against it's designated element than the base. And of course, as it evolves, it gets slightly longer too.

The jewel in the middle of the last five forms is a relic (Lisa's Tear) that allows the spear to evolve further beyond it's fourth form. This jewel is found in Alucard's Room inside Dracula's Castle, and not only evolves the spear further, but allows for Alucard to vault upwards (not unlike Eric Lecarde) to break passages in the ceiling (not unlike Juste Belmont).

Each form has it's own name, and is based or inspired on one of the forms the spear took along the series.

• Saturn - Based on the Saturn SotN iteration (yes yes I know it's not canonical. That's why it is the weakest :) )
  • Mars - Based on the Bloodlines iteration's first form.
  • Neptune - Based on the Bloodlines iteration's second form.
  • Venus - Based on the Bloodlines iteration's third form.
  • Mercury - Based on the Bloodlines iteration's third form, but when it is opened.
  • Gaea - Inspired by the Portrait iteration.
  • Uranus - Also inspired by the Portrait iteration.
  • Ceres - Original with hints of Judgment's form.
  • Pluto - Original with hints of Chauve-Souris from Curse of Darkness.

You may be asking "Bu-but Purottotsuisuto-kun, where is Jupiter??" to which I respond: Jupiter is the name of the special attack - an enormous ethereal spear.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 04:02:56 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1548 on: August 30, 2015, 08:12:58 PM »
I'm guessing it's holy for Ceres and dark for Pluto?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1549 on: August 30, 2015, 09:36:13 PM »
I'm guessing it's holy for Ceres and dark for Pluto?

Indeed and indeed. And here is Jupiter:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:29:03 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1550 on: August 30, 2015, 11:15:35 PM »
Dayum! Jupiter is gorgeous!  :o
*applause*

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #1551 on: September 01, 2015, 10:37:19 PM »
I posted all the weapon forms of the spear, and one magical form, now for two more magical forms:

The first is the ultimate Jupiter form. I tweaked the angel's wings a bit, they were ugly before.

The following two Jupiter forms are weaker versions, with two apparitions of certain characters holding the spear for... Reasons...

There is one last spear to make, and it hints at how the spear got to the hands of the Lecardes...

Think of these as the "Greatest Five" of the spear. Everyone holding it has some kind of involvement with it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:18:11 AM by theplottwist »

Offline AuraTeam

• Hunter in Training
  • God cooked my dinner once again
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 2nd Place 2015 -  Christmas Award 2nd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1552 on: September 01, 2015, 10:50:53 PM »
Damn Man ! ... that looks incredibly great  :o

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1553 on: September 02, 2015, 02:02:36 AM »
@theplottwist: They all look awesome man, I especially love the fact that you added all sorts of nuances to the spear as it levels, really neat :)

Also my sprites are probably less interesting but I thought I'd post an update anyways.
I added more colors to the sprite and made two new versions. As always feedback is greatly appreciated.

A version:
B version:

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #1554 on: September 03, 2015, 12:48:00 AM »
I added more colors to the sprite and made two new versions. As always feedback is greatly appreciated.

A version:
B version:

I much like the first version. It may be the animation speed, though.

Beware with adding too many colors on such small sprites like this!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1555 on: September 03, 2015, 09:10:10 AM »
A version:
B version:

The cape on B looks better.
I feel that the proportions are a little off. Specifically, the torso seems a smidge too long and the legs a smidge too short.
Also, there is a disparity with the animation of the left arm and the right arm. It looks like the left arm is swinging normally, but the right looks like he's pumping it diagonally down rather than swinging it.
Oh, and I might consider adding one pixel to the cape's collar so it doesn't look so flat at the back of the head.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1556 on: September 03, 2015, 11:48:41 AM »
I much like the first version. It may be the animation speed, though.

Beware with adding too many colors on such small sprites like this!

Interesting that you like version A, I made B because I was afraid that version A had too much contrast and it looked a little too... edgy?

I've clearly noted your second point though, I started out with two colors and went to four. The highlight on the shoulder uses a brighter color than the rest but I started to think that adding it into the rest of the cloak would be too much. Is there one specific point you think I could improve on?

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1557 on: September 03, 2015, 11:53:24 AM »
The cape on B looks better.
I feel that the proportions are a little off. Specifically, the torso seems a smidge too long and the legs a smidge too short.
Also, there is a disparity with the animation of the left arm and the right arm. It looks like the left arm is swinging normally, but the right looks like he's pumping it diagonally down rather than swinging it.
Oh, and I might consider adding one pixel to the cape's collar so it doesn't look so flat at the back of the head.

Duly noted your point on the arms, I will also try to see what I can do to remove the flatness around his neck area.
Thanks for the feedback  ;D

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #1558 on: September 03, 2015, 12:21:38 PM »
I've clearly noted your second point though, I started out with two colors and went to four. The highlight on the shoulder uses a brighter color than the rest but I started to think that adding it into the rest of the cloak would be too much. Is there one specific point you think I could improve on?

Yes, in fact there is, but I was in a rush and couldn't type it out.

I like the first one specifically because of the contrast on the cape. The second one looks very nice, but I can't really see the red shadow on it. I mean, I CAN see it, but I don't feel the weight.

However, the second sprite's cape does have better pixel work than the first, which looks noisy.

So, my opinion is that the first cape would look better with the colors it already has, but with the pixel work on the cape from the second one.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:48:15 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1559 on: September 04, 2015, 12:17:29 AM »
Yes, in fact there is, but I was in a rush and couldn't type it out.

I like the first one specifically because of the contrast on the cape. The second one looks very nice, but I can't really see the red shadow on it. I mean, I CAN see it, but I don't feel the weight.

However, the second sprite's cape does have better pixel work than the first, which looks noisy.

So, my opinion is that the first cape would look better with the colors it already has, but with the pixel work on the cape from the second one.

Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated  ;D

EDIT: I think I might have managed to combine the two somewhat.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:58:27 AM by Donvermicelli »