Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Are other people as sick of "Metroidvanias" as I am?  (Read 967 times)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: Are other people as sick of "Metroidvanias" as I am?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2024, 11:33:55 PM »
Yeah, I'm a Classicvania guy to the end. I don't hate Metroidvanias, but they really don't take any skill. If something is too hard, you can just grind and level up (yes I know there are some games with level cap modes).

Personally, I thought Infernax was the first blend of Classicvania and Metroidvania.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2024, 12:06:23 AM »
I agree with you on that. It feels like the extra modes are the preferable way to play a lot of the Metroidvania games, or at least the modes that provide additional challenge.

I just miss the difficult, frustrating-but-hard Castlevanias, I guess. I don't feel 100% fulfilled if a game doesn't make me cuss at the screen a few times, lmao
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2024, 07:09:24 AM »
I remember breezing through Dawn of Sorrow & Portrait of Ruin (aside from a few sections that gave me problems), but Order of Ecclesia kind of kicked my ass the first few times. They actually ramped up the difficulty which I wasn’t expecting. There was a certain attention to detail that wasn’t present in the previous DS entries.

Mirror of Fate, however, that game didn’t offer a challenge to me at all. And it has 0% replay value. No extra modes, no secrets, no boss rush, nothing. I never understood why.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:29:05 AM by crisis »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2024, 07:54:05 AM »
I'll be sure to let Mig know that you guys think Metroidvania games aren't challenging enough. 😉
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 08:43:14 AM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Tags: