Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: New Classicvania-like project from Inti Creates  (Read 5181 times)

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
Re: New Classicvania-like project from Inti Creates
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2023, 02:39:50 AM »
Ugh. It seems that some of the problems were just kept untouched from demos and videos.

Controls - Not unforgivingly bad, but worse than average. Unlike BS CotMs, the main character always tend to slip (like they're hesitating or having very slip shoes) when doing precise platforming. Even some of the castlevania fan games managed to completely avoid this problem.
Also there's some problems in air control, retreat half way in the air during a forward jump can be a serious challenge in bad ways.

Plot - Usual Inti Creates plot as always, albeit with an extra anime fanservice-y touch. Nothing really worth write home about.

Music - A bit worse than average. Whoever composed the music certainly lost the charm how the music in BS CotM1 was successful. (specially compared to the part of music tracks in BS CotM1 not composed by Michiru Yamane.)
Also there really should have a detailed sound effect volume control, the shouts during hops are really REALLY bad when repeated.

Difficulty - This game really is easier, easier than maybe even some of the easiest Classicvania titles available if it wasn't for the sometimes-questionable controls when retreating during a forward jump. If the air- retreating isn't a problem (or fixed by a patch) I'll retail-purchase the game ASAP then return to the game time and time and time again just like the old days.

Degree of Polish - For some reason the good choose chapter function in BS CotM2 is lost here. I'm really pissed off by this and it greatly discourages me from replaying the campaign again.

Another problem is the game's set price. If it's something like $12 to $15 for its initial price I would recommend it brainlessly. In it's current shape though, not worth it. This is some of the rare cases where Piracy really do justice.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 02:55:47 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2023, 10:18:20 AM »
My condolences on having your time and money wasted by all the kawaiibait.  :\

Having lost $5 on Vampire Survivors, which I thought was Robotron 2084 X CastleVania and very NOT, I can relate. 

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2023, 07:43:56 PM »
I dunno about their review. I played it and really enjoyed it for what it was. It was a fun little evolution of the Inti Creates formula and it worked well. Not perfect, but really fun.

Offline nokundhi

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2023, 10:13:27 PM »
I dunno about their review. I played it and really enjoyed it for what it was. It was a fun little evolution of the Inti Creates formula and it worked well. Not perfect, but really fun.

Same.

I didn't have any issues with the controls minus the grappling hook at times. My main complaint was the lack of any way to track items, which is annoying considering they did do it in BMZ. Other than that it was fun for what it was. I don't think it was as as good as COTM2, the lack of characters and level design especially, but I much prefer something like this to the score attack focus of their Gunvolt games.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 10:15:19 PM by nokundhi »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2023, 01:26:18 PM »
Looks interesting enough to give it a go.
"Stuff and things."

Tags:

anything