Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Nocturne release date announced  (Read 10429 times)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« on: July 26, 2023, 06:07:33 PM »
Looks like Nocturne is coming out on Netflix on Sept. 28.  They've got a new poster for it, and tomorrow we should get a trailer.

https://www.destructoid.com/castlevania-nocturne-premieres-in-september-netflix/

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 07:48:05 PM »
I have to wonder if Netflix thinks this is going to recoup their reputation after that whole Cleopatra debacle.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 08:47:52 AM »
Hoping that this season they avoid adding sexual themes.
I know about how the story have a mature theme and blablabla but not everything considered as "Mature" should be about it, and I hated how unfitty it can become.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 09:05:16 AM »
Trailer's out by the way. The first season looks like an original work, maybe a prequel season before we get to events similar to Rondo and Symphony?

The description calls it an "origin story" so it's not an adaptation of a game's scenario.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 09:07:31 AM by Foffy »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 10:00:15 AM »
Hmm. There are characters I don't recognize (obvious right?). And then there's that woman wielding the VK whip who gets killed by a vampire right in front of a young Richter. That is something that I'd have to disagree with. I know that this is nothing more then a teaser trailer and therefor information is limited, however Belmonts weren't trained to be done in by lesser vampires. They were taught to confront creatures that would break a person's spirit just from the mere sight of them (and that's not counting the mystic properties within their blood that gives them a supernatural leg up). It's why the Belmont family has endured for centuries while Dracula has failed time and time again. No doubt this was done to bring about some means of determination within Richter to confront the monster that killed his mother, but it doesn't feel necessary in this particular context. If they really wanted to make this scene convincing Richter's mother would've been ambushed by multiple high class vampires and their pets; ones that are just below Dracula's grade. Belmont's aren't invincible, I get that, however multiple vampires/monsters vs one Belmont would lend itself to be more believable then a single vampire vs Belmont.

Look at that. The series isn't out yet and I'm already taking a 'stab' at it, lol.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 10:01:50 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 10:14:39 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed. I'll still watch a little bit to be fair, but it wasn't doing it for me. Where is Shaft, is Richter going to save Annette, or is Dracula even in it? Obviously, it's not out, but I have concerns.

The trailer should've been like an updated version of this.
https://youtu.be/o076MlHKXL8

Also will they do this speech?
https://youtu.be/9gEGIT9anJ0
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 10:33:51 AM by GuyStarwind »

Offline nokundhi

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 10:51:13 AM »
All the nice animation in the world is not going to save it if the character's talk like Joss Whedon muppets again.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 11:05:07 AM »
Hmm. There are characters I don't recognize (obvious right?). And then there's that woman wielding the VK whip who gets killed by a vampire right in front of a young Richter. That is something that I'd have to disagree with. I know that this is nothing more then a teaser trailer and therefor information is limited, however Belmonts weren't trained to be done in by lesser vampires. They were taught to confront creatures that would break a person's spirit just from the mere sight of them (and that's not counting the mystic properties within their blood that gives them a supernatural leg up). It's why the Belmont family has endured for centuries while Dracula has failed time and time again. No doubt this was done to bring about some means of determination within Richter to confront the monster that killed his mother, but it doesn't feel necessary in this particular context. If they really wanted to make this scene convincing Richter's mother would've been ambushed by multiple high class vampires and their pets; ones that are just below Dracula's grade. Belmont's aren't invincible, I get that, however multiple vampires/monsters vs one Belmont would lend itself to be more believable then a single vampire vs Belmont.

Look at that. The series isn't out yet and I'm already taking a 'stab' at it, lol.

The vampire who killed Richter's mother is Olrox. It looks like they're taking notable vampires in the series and having them fill in for the role of antagonist. The female countess is Elizabeth Bathory who is this arcs main villain.

They've also seriously redone some of these other characters. The female characters who fight in the trailers are the maidens from Rondo. Annette's had her race changed like Isaac (and given a similar backstory of oppression but this time by vampires in the Carribean) and the blonde woman doing Sypha spells is Tera. No Iris, it seems. I thought they were original characters, but no.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 12:13:01 PM »
The description calls it an "origin story" so it's not an adaptation of a game's scenario.

Time for the same "CURSE OF DARKNESS IS COMING, ANY MOMENT NOW!" situation again, where everything is already showing that there is no possible way for the thing to happen, yet everyone will be strung on the hope it happens.

As for the teaser: One of the teasers ever made. I honestly have no strong feelings either way. Although I commend the honesty in this one - it's no longer trying to pretend it's gonna be anything but its own thing with its own ideas. THAT gets me interested.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 01:00:14 PM »
Well, at least Samuel Deats-sama teased something interesting to me about the music...

https://twitter.com/Gunlord500/status/1684650390308937728

Granted one can't make too much of eye emojis, but still ;o

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 01:01:58 PM »
Well, at least Samuel Deats-sama teased something interesting to me about the music...

https://twitter.com/Gunlord500/status/1684650390308937728

Granted one can't make too much of eye emojis, but still ;o
Doing God's work

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 01:57:58 PM »
The vampire who killed Richter's mother is Olrox. It looks like they're taking notable vampires in the series and having them fill in for the role of antagonist. The female countess is Elizabeth Bathory who is this arcs main villain.

They've also seriously redone some of these other characters. The female characters who fight in the trailers are the maidens from Rondo. Annette's had her race changed like Isaac (and given a similar backstory of oppression but this time by vampires in the Carribean) and the blonde woman doing Sypha spells is Tera. No Iris, it seems. I thought they were original characters, but no.
Is there backing for this? I haven't kept up with this series information or anything, so I'm legit curious.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 02:34:49 PM »
Is there backing for this? I haven't kept up with this series information or anything, so I'm legit curious.

Netflix announced who is voicing what character on their website. It's easy to piece who is what character based on that.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2023, 03:24:14 PM »
The article also describes the characters in more depth, so yeah, we definitely know that Maria is still the same as her DXC incarnation, but Annette is now Afro-Caribbean, Tera is a magical fighter, and ofc Olrox himself is the other intimidating black dude who killed Femrichter lol.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2023, 03:27:57 PM »
They seem to be using the plot points from Bloodlines and Aria for this initial season of Nocturne, it appears. Which I guess is okay, except it would make any plans for either of those stories (more probable is Aria, honestly) kinda shot.

I'm less impressed that they are taking sincere liberties with the maidens from Rondo, turning both Annette and Tera into magic users suddenly as if having Maria wasn't enough. Granted, I'm all for straying away from the "damsel in distress" trope, but it seems forced here.

However that pales in comparison to them showing us Richter's mother as this badass whip-wielding female Belmont, FINALLY after we've all been wanting another shot for one, only to kill her off for the sake of injecting trauma into yet another character's story where it wasn't needed. It feels like she's just this disposable character they made up with the purpose of fridging to make poor Richter angsty....because we all loved that when that was done in S3 of the OG series.  >:(

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Animation looks solid and I'll allow some of those liberties slide if this is meant to be a prequel to Rondo's story in season 2 and the story ends up being better than I'm fearing.

Tags: