Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Overrated  (Read 14346 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:39 AM »
Okay this is really a IMHO thread but let us try it.

Post about anyone or anything that everybody goes crazy about but you're only response is "meh".

The Beatles: It's not like I don't like the band, I just think they don't deserve all the fame they gained. 90% or their songs are jollier than life and not longer than 4 minutes. And everything is about love and friendship and Hari Krishna. fantastic.

The Shawshank Redemption: A nice, interesting story, but after watching it I can't say it made me think or taught me anything or entertained me enough to ever watch it again. It simply didn't "move" me the way films like Apocalypse Now, American History X or Requiem for a dream did.

Sushi: It's a small piece of raw fish wrapped up in rice with some vegetables. I get the feeling people only like it because it's oriental, and oriental food is considered a delicacy now. Oh well.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:19:18 AM by Mooning Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:09:33 AM »
The Shawshank Redemption: A nice, interesting story, but after watching it I can't say it made me think or taught me anything or entertained me enough to ever watch it again. It simply didn't "move" me the way films like Apocalypse Now, American History X or Requiem for a dream did.

I suppose most things are subjective, after all. While I haven't seen the other two, RFAD is such tedious bullshit in my mind, whereas Shawshank is a perfect 5-star movie. Much more real characters, real scenarios, something to really grasp on to and say, "This is human." The technical merits are also high and beyond, which I'd say is more objective. ;)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:39:38 AM »
I have nothing to defend about the Beatles or the Shawshank Redemption. I find most of the Beatles work to be unlistenable and Shawshank is an ok movie at best.

However, I will step up and defend sushi, since it's a good way to eat fish without a lot of mess and stink. It's healthy, too. On top of this there are many possibilities as to what kind of fish you can use to make it.
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:54:08 AM »
Sushi: It's a small piece of raw fish wrapped up in rice with some vegetables. I get the feeling people only like it because it's oriental, and oriental food is considered a delicacy now. Oh well.

Actually what you're describing are called Maki rolls. They were developed in the second world war as rations for the Japanese forces and since then have become widely popular amongst civilians.

Bob Dilan. I don't get why he's so popular. At all. He's not even really trying to sing to the songs he plays, and if he does he's awful at it. Virtually no singing talent what-so-ever. Had he come onto America's got talent today as an unknown, he'd be booted off the stage. Not only that but the majority of his work (maybe all of it) was stolen materiel from other artists he knew, especially a woman artist he knew very well and was with for a time, although her name escapes me at the moment. And as for his biography it's pretty much a lie. The guy can't be honest even to his so-called fans. In terms of Country Western he's the worst. His music does absolutely nothing for me and is a chore to listen to. I'd rather sit through Johnny Cash. At least he was more talented.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:25:16 AM »
Justin Bieber.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Mangoaxe5

• A Rotted Heart
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • mangosgooddreams
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »
+1
Ocarina of Time is very overrated. People talk about the game like it's the second coming.

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »

Bob Dilan. I don't get why he's so popular. At all. He's not even really trying to sing to the songs he plays, and if he does he's awful at it. Virtually no singing talent what-so-ever. Had he come onto America's got talent today as an unknown, he'd be booted off the stage. Not only that but the majority of his work (maybe all of it) was stolen materiel from other artists he knew, especially a woman artist he knew very well and was with for a time, although her name escapes me at the moment. And as for his biography it's pretty much a lie. The guy can't be honest even to his so-called fans. In terms of Country Western he's the worst. His music does absolutely nothing for me and is a chore to listen to. I'd rather sit through Johnny Cash. At least he was more talented.

Part of that might be that Bob Dylan only put out like one Country album; the rest of his output is mostly Folk Rock. And yeah, it pretty much all sucked, but the hippies loved it in the 60's and now they and their descendants are the ones running Rolling Stone, which of course tells us what music we're supposed to like. He's pretty much the start of the "College dbag strumming an acoustic guitar" style of music.

As for Ocarina of Time, it's OK, but I think you sort of had to be there. I wasn't, so I found it to be good but- I'd already been helped to generous portions of Ultima Underworld and Final Fantasy VII. I think Majora's Mask was a much better swing at an N64 Zelda game, as it went in some unpredictable directions.

Firefly. Yeah, it's a good show. Yeah, it only got a single season. No, it wasn't as good as Farscape.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »
Firefly. Yeah, it's a good show. Yeah, it only got a single season. No, it wasn't as good as Farscape.

Neither was that Battlestar Galactica remake which replaced Farscape. Too bad we didn't get the final season but at least we got the Peacekeeper Wars miniseries.
I agree Bob Dylan is way overrated though I do love "My Back Pages", "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Like A Rolling Stone" though from the sound of it those might have all been stolen.

Steve Jobs ugh. Just because he promoted (not personally developed but promoted) gadgets that were "cool" he gets treated like some kind of Ghandi figure, despite being just another greedy corporate suite. This is especially annoying when you realize Bill Gates is still the butt of jokes about greedy tech gurus to this day, despite the fact that Gates actually did something to help people with his money. Specifically he's played a large part in bringing disease vaccinations to the 3rd world. Meanwhile Jobs was designing a "super yacht" so big they didn't even finish it before he died. While we're at it...

Apple Products their products are well made, but not enough to justify their prices for the needs of the average consumer. I suspect many members of the Apple cult are starting to realize this but will never admit it because they've got hundreds of dollars sunk into Apple apps and itunes.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:50:39 PM by Ratty »

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 01:07:57 PM »
Ugh. Battlestar Galactica was an unending bore. The original was cheesy, but unpretentious and enjoyable- and the reboot was none of those things.

Apple products have probably the worst value-to-cost ratio on the market. I had a MacBook Pro, bought one when it first came out. 2 power cables literally MELTED. And then cost $80 to replace. The only thing I miss is GarageBand.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 01:23:34 PM »
Oh, man! This is like something done for me!  :)

Let me start: Metal Gear Solid, Banjo Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Crash Bandicoot...
The Godfather, Batman: The Dark Knight, Pulp Fiction, City of God, Memento, Saving Private Ryan... well, most of iMDb Top 250, to be honest.

Some of that is good stuff, but (IMHO) it's not excellent like so many people (and critics) say.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 01:38:44 PM »
I get in arguments over Apple all the time, but then I usually drop it. Apple's newer stuff I don't fight over, but their computers are just pure crap. You can't customize them. You can't upgrade them. You can repair them. It's a great business strategy, but only works on the idiots or the lazy. My parents love Macs. My friends like Macs. I told them to keep the damned things away from me. If I want more RAM, I won't go out and buy a new computer, I'll buy more RAM. If I want a better graphics card, I'll go out and... buy a new computer, but that's just me and because if I want a better card I also want more RAM and a bigger hard drive and by that point one or two ports are probably shot, so I may as well just get a new computer and then dismantle the old one and put all the hard drives into one.

Dragon Ball Z. Gundam. 90% of anything that aired on Adult Swim or Toonami. I just don't see it. And don't get me started on harem anime. Even in hentai it bores the shit out of me.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 01:56:01 PM »
Steve Jobs ugh. Just because he promoted (not personally developed but promoted) gadgets that were "cool" he gets treated like some kind of Ghandi figure, despite being just another greedy corporate suite. This is especially annoying when you realize Bill Gates is still the butt of jokes about greedy tech gurus to this day, despite the fact that Gates actually did something to help people with his money. Specifically he's played a large part in bringing disease vaccinations to the 3rd world. Meanwhile Jobs was designing a "super yacht" so big they didn't even finish it before he died. While we're at it...

Dragon Ball Z. 90% of anything that aired on Adult Swim or Toonami.

I dont think that, but My Little Pony is ultra overrated IMO, it even spread everywhere :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »
Speaking of overrated: phones, tablets, iPhones, iPads and all that stupid stuff... Facebook, Twitter and all social networks... and everything in that vein... you get the point.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 02:00:36 PM »
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Cyborg mechs with christian overtones.  Umm, yay.  :rollseyes: :P

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »

I dont think that, but My Little Pony is ultra overrated IMO, it even spread everywhere :P

The thing about My Little Pony isn't just that it's overrated, it's that its fanboys seem completely oblivious to how creepy and off-putting it seems to people that aren't into it.

Tags: