Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Demon Castle" or "Devil's Castle"?  (Read 11114 times)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 12:34:02 PM »
But Dracula isn't the devil, he's just evil.

Well, yeah, but he's the ultimate embodiment of evil, and all that stuff. So he might as well be the devil, imo. I don't know why, but it always seemed weird or redundant to me to imagine Dracula and the devil coexisting in the same fictional universe.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »
Again as I said, the "embodiment of evil" is Ahriman. The Devil isn't technically evil, he's just a slanderous, duplicitous being. He's kind of like Medusa or even Dark Pit in Kid Icarus: Uprising, neither of whom are actually evil. And anyway, as Crisis pointed out, some of the denizens of the castle are pre-Christian and the correct term for an entity from outside Christianity is "demon". And as for the Dracula's Satanic Castle translation, consider where that translation was done.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »
Akuma is a more generic term in Japanese for an evil spirit which is why I always use Demon to translate it. I generally don't like to use the term devil even if it used in a general way because of the Christian connotation that ties it to Lucifer.
And just to be clear on a certain point, in no way is Dracula's Satanic Castle even remotely a correct translation on a technical level especially when one considers that Satan isn't the devil and is never named as such in the bible. In fact, Satan is little more than an angel commanded to oppose a certain human in one of the old testament stories and is never even implied to be an evil entity at all. So for me it's Demon Castle all the way. Hell, my fan game is even titled "Castlevania: The Demon Castle".
"Stuff and things."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 05:41:06 PM »
I wish Satan from LoS was called "Lucifer" instead. Would've made more sense.

a-and, "Castlevania: The Demon Castle" would be a good title for the 1999 game; simple, straight to the point.

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 07:27:57 PM »
a-and, "Castlevania: The Demon Castle" would be a good title for the 1999 game; simple, straight to the point.

"Castlevania: Demon Castle War" sounds better IMO.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 09:02:06 PM »
+1
especially when one considers that Satan isn't the devil and is never named as such in the bible.

Several times he is. :p

Then Jesus said to him, "Go, Satan!" [...] Then the devil left Him[.]" (Matt. 4:10,11 NASB)

And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. (Rev. 12:9)

The Bible makes it clear that Satan is the serpent devil who tempted Eve, and is Lucifer the most glorious angel who was cast out of heaven.

Jesus also said that Satan goes by the name Beelzebub, an allusion to the fertility god Baal, relating Satan to pagan gods of old.

But some of them said, "He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the ruler of the demons." Others, to test Him, were demanding of Him a sign from heaven. But He knew their thoughts and said to them, "Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and a house divided against itself falls. If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul. And if I by Beelzebul cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out?" (Luke 11:15–19)

As for whether Dracula is the devil in the Castlevania (pre-LOS) series, for some reason I used to think of them as synonymous when I was a kid. As mentioned, Dracula pretty much is the embodiment of evil in the series, the ultimate bad guy, but it would seem he's separate from Satan.

The name Dracula basically means "son of the dragon" or alternately "son of the devil"; Satan is called "that great dragon, the serpent" so he somehow kind of...took on a great role in Satan's kingdom, I guess, so much that he's basically Satan's son or heir in a sense, even though I get the feeling Drac has never seen Satan if indeed he exists in the series' world. :p But perhaps Dracula is Satan's greatest pawn or tool.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:04:23 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »
Again as I said, the "embodiment of evil" is Ahriman. The Devil isn't technically evil, he's just a slanderous, duplicitous being. He's kind of like Medusa or even Dark Pit in Kid Icarus: Uprising, neither of whom are actually evil. And anyway, as Crisis pointed out, some of the denizens of the castle are pre-Christian and the correct term for an entity from outside Christianity is "demon". And as for the Dracula's Satanic Castle translation, consider where that translation was done.
I don't think the pre-Christian entities being present mean much regarding what or who the "devil" is. Devil would likely be "Christian Devil"(considering a lot of Christian/Church themes in the CV games), and in Christianity, his "being" predates organized religion.

And as Abnormal Freak said, the term is likely just tossed around by the original Japanese writes to make it sound cool. It's done a lot of times with games. I think Dracula would be affiliated with the Devil, but the whole "Dark Lord" thing came much after the original games. Though, interestingly enough, Dracula has had the nickname "Prince of Darkness" in various movies(and I think I even saw some television shows and cartoons where they referred to him by that). Oddly enough, the Christian Devil and Antichrist are also referred to as "Prince of Darkness".

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 10:02:29 PM »
+2
Except Satan isn't a proper name, it's a common noun like "dog" or "cat" or "god". It simply means "opposer". In a similar vain, "devil" meant "slanderer". So basically Jesus is saying, "Piss off, my enemy. I don't like what you say." It wasn't until Zoroastrianism crept into Christianity that Satan and Devil became proper names. Christianity at the time of the King James Bible was way more varied than it is today, with some sects being way out in right field. In order to get the various sects to unite under one church, there had to be some give and take in doctrine and thus Satan the Angel-Turned-Devil came to be. Some sects of Christianity don't believe in the existence of Lucifer (a Roman loan word) and some don't even believe that Satan as a single entity even exists. And all the evidence points to Lucifer/Satan being an adoption of Ahriman into Christianity, just as Beelzebub/Baal was adopted. And why would Jesus refer to Satan and Beelzebub in separate references? Why not just straight up say, "If Baal also is divided against himself--"? Just as Lucifer is a mistranslation of an honorific title of a Babylonian King simply meaning "(Planet) Venus" (I don't get why it's so hard for people to grasp that concept. Why, of all the deities in the Bible, would only one deity have a Roman name? It's obviously a mistranslation, but it's heresy to say the Bible wasn't translated correctly.), "satan" is just a title he used to refer to any heretical deity. Beelzebub was the most famous in his time and it was the one pharisees accused him of calling on, not because Beelzebub is Satan. It's that same kind of spin doctoring that makes political races in Democratic countries a deplorable mockery of the original ideology. And of course the great dragon would be called "devil" -- he spun lies to get Eve to eat the apple and share it with Adam -- and "satan" -- he opposed God's will and creation. And the whole irony of Revelation is people insist the dragon is The Devil proper, yet Lucifer is depicted as a beautiful archangel or serraph. Wait, was he an angel or a dragon? There are so many inconsistencies in Revelation. Even if you take from the Apocrypha, which is also heresy to ascribe truth to, then it just becomes apparent that Christianity borrowed from other religions and is no different than the religions of the barbarians and other heretics. And even the Jews complained the original Western translations of the Old Testament before Jesus' time were very faulty. Different authors ascribed different interpretations of the Old Testament. It's just like if you took a book written in Japanese or Chinese and asked a class of students to translate the book. Each translation will vary and some will be so far off that it's almost not even the same story. Yet many Christian churches had to rely on those texts because it was the easiest way to read old scriptures, so from there they interpreted the New Testament as they saw fit. Even Jesus' disciples had their own understandings of the religions of that era. Judaeism and Christianity were not unified (within their own disciplines, I mean) religious beliefs, there were numerous sects each with their own scriptures and each with their own interpretations and translations of scriptures.

He's probably called the Prince Of Darkness because Beelzebub was likely a bastardization of "Baal, Lord on High" or "Prince of Baal". And for that matter, why would Satan only be a prince of darkness? Who's the king or monarch or emperor or lord or duke of darkness?

But I think I diverged from the topic too much.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:05:27 PM by TheouAegis »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »
WHy not Dracula's Castle of Demons? I always thought that was the meaning behind the name  :(

Everything comes full circle

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 10:13:40 PM »
And is it Akumajou Dracula or Akumajou: Dracula? The other games suggest it's Akumajou: Dracula (since there is simply Akumajou and then there's Akumajou Densetsu). But everytime I see Akumajou Dracula, I'm like, "Whoa, the CASTLE is Dracula? Not just the dude in the cape, but the whole entire castle?! That's impressive."

Anyway, another thing:

Death doesn't answer to Satan.
Why would Satan live in a castle and be defeated routinely by a human with a whip when God can't even beat him until End Days?
Recently, Dracula's castle has contained religious artifacts, chapels, even victorious angels. Why would Satan have that?

Of course it still falls back to the second one, i think: How could Satan, aka The Devil, the supreme evil, the prince of darkness himself, be defeated so easily by a mere human?

And furthermore, if the Belmonts can defeat Death time after time, why do they still die? Why not defeat Death again and achieve immortality? (that always bugged me)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 10:26:45 PM »
+1
And furthermore, if the Belmonts can defeat Death time after time, why do they still die? Why not defeat Death again and achieve immortality? (that always bugged me)
Because Death is not death itself but a powerful necromancer or a "god of death" and blah blah blah...
 :P

Everything comes full circle

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 11:42:43 PM »
Many castles are referred to as "Castle [Name]." It simply implies it's the castle of whomever or wherever. :p
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jbetbrice

• Hunter in Training
  • Have At You !
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 12:16:48 AM »
+1
I like "Demon Castle". Goes nice with the whole "Creature of Chaos" thing and the castle is in fact filled with..well, demons. "Devil's Castle" would also imply that the castle isn't really Drac's. Besides, Devil's not in his element in CV; he's just a regular enemy that appears every now and then :)

Think like you ! :) The Demon Castle sound better to me

Ps: Your signature is Awesome ,  i can't stop laughing x)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 09:36:13 AM »
Except Satan isn't a proper name, it's a common noun like "dog" or "cat" or "god". It simply means "opposer". In a similar vain, "devil" meant "slanderer". So basically Jesus is saying, "Piss off, my enemy. I don't like what you say." It wasn't until Zoroastrianism crept into Christianity that Satan and Devil became proper names. Christianity at the time of the King James Bible was way more varied than it is today, with some sects being way out in right field. In order to get the various sects to unite under one church, there had to be some give and take in doctrine and thus Satan the Angel-Turned-Devil came to be. Some sects of Christianity don't believe in the existence of Lucifer (a Roman loan word) and some don't even believe that Satan as a single entity even exists. And all the evidence points to Lucifer/Satan being an adoption of Ahriman into Christianity, just as Beelzebub/Baal was adopted. And why would Jesus refer to Satan and Beelzebub in separate references? Why not just straight up say, "If Baal also is divided against himself--"? Just as Lucifer is a mistranslation of an honorific title of a Babylonian King simply meaning "(Planet) Venus" (I don't get why it's so hard for people to grasp that concept. Why, of all the deities in the Bible, would only one deity have a Roman name? It's obviously a mistranslation, but it's heresy to say the Bible wasn't translated correctly.), "satan" is just a title he used to refer to any heretical deity. Beelzebub was the most famous in his time and it was the one pharisees accused him of calling on, not because Beelzebub is Satan. It's that same kind of spin doctoring that makes political races in Democratic countries a deplorable mockery of the original ideology. And of course the great dragon would be called "devil" -- he spun lies to get Eve to eat the apple and share it with Adam -- and "satan" -- he opposed God's will and creation. And the whole irony of Revelation is people insist the dragon is The Devil proper, yet Lucifer is depicted as a beautiful archangel or serraph. Wait, was he an angel or a dragon? There are so many inconsistencies in Revelation. Even if you take from the Apocrypha, which is also heresy to ascribe truth to, then it just becomes apparent that Christianity borrowed from other religions and is no different than the religions of the barbarians and other heretics. And even the Jews complained the original Western translations of the Old Testament before Jesus' time were very faulty. Different authors ascribed different interpretations of the Old Testament. It's just like if you took a book written in Japanese or Chinese and asked a class of students to translate the book. Each translation will vary and some will be so far off that it's almost not even the same story. Yet many Christian churches had to rely on those texts because it was the easiest way to read old scriptures, so from there they interpreted the New Testament as they saw fit. Even Jesus' disciples had their own understandings of the religions of that era. Judaeism and Christianity were not unified (within their own disciplines, I mean) religious beliefs, there were numerous sects each with their own scriptures and each with their own interpretations and translations of scriptures.

He's probably called the Prince Of Darkness because Beelzebub was likely a bastardization of "Baal, Lord on High" or "Prince of Baal". And for that matter, why would Satan only be a prince of darkness? Who's the king or monarch or emperor or lord or duke of darkness?

But I think I diverged from the topic too much.
I'm talking about the modern interpretation of the Christian Devil. Castlevania is a game series hailing from our modern age, hence it's depiction of such mythology would be drawing upon modern take of such subject. I mean, and this is not to offend anybody(if it does, I apologize), but the word "fag/faggot" has had many different meanings from throughout the ages. When we, in our modern culture, hear it, we don't consider it's more archaic meaning(a bundle of sticks) and immediately register it with it's popular meanings(for Brits, slang for cigarettes, and a derogative name for homosexuals). Castlevania might be set in older times, but the depction of those times are nonetheless modern, with creative license, of course.

But, don't think I'm actually on the "pro-Devil Castle" side. Demon Castle has always had a better ring to it, IMO. It sounds more fitting. Dracula might be considered a devil in CV lore, but the castle IS home to a multitude of demons(evil spirits), and is talked about as being alive itself. Demon Castle just fits better, as it doesn't just encompass Dracula, but him, his castle and all the monsters within it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:18:29 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 10:18:22 AM »
The Castle itself IS a Demon, hence Demon Castle Dracula.

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags: