Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first sign rises with the full moon.  (Read 975414 times)

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: The first sign rises with the full moon.
« Reply #1080 on: May 14, 2015, 09:26:05 AM »
Oh god, tell me that was a joke. I hope it's not going back to that stilted movement crap.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #1081 on: May 14, 2015, 09:27:54 AM »
Oh god, tell me that was a joke. I hope it's not going back to that stilted movement crap.

100% positive it was just a joke.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1082 on: May 14, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »
Thank god. So back to what I was saying....

Do we have any idea if 6+ million is a bigger budget than most castlevania's get?

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1083 on: May 14, 2015, 10:39:17 AM »
Thank god. So back to what I was saying....

Do we have any idea if 6+ million is a bigger budget than most castlevania's get?

One must remember that not all of that money goes to development though. They have to send out the rewards to us and stuff. And printing physical copies to give away to backers too. So this budget already includes some of the return of investment, which can't be considered in the budget at all.

A 6 million budget game funded outside of kickstarter will start making money once its released, while this has already made money and they're not gonna sell anymore copies to the people who already pledged. They're only gonna sell digital copies to people who didn't back this, and god know how many/few that will be... So basically they have to look at some of the money as profit, not money to put in the game.

I dunno if any of this made sense. I'm tired.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:42:03 AM by shelverton. »

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1084 on: May 14, 2015, 11:45:20 AM »
How safe is it to wait?  Do they ever end a KS early, or suddenly drop a tier that wasn't initially a limited one?

I have absolutely never seen this happen. Obviously the limited tiers can "sell out" but I've never, in the 8 or so KSes I've followed, seen a tier be dropped or a KS that was successful end early (Ones that were clearly going to fail have been stopped early before, like Shadow of the Eternals).

Knowing the publisher is giving them 4.5 million, and that the kickstarter may raise it to over 6 million how good of a budget is that compared to most castlevania games? Especially SOTN. Do we know how much money that game took? I'm really wondering if this will be IGA's biggest budget for a 2D/2.5d styled IGAVANIA game. That plus development time. I imagine they will not be as rushed with this game. I know SOTN took the longest.

To some extent they're going to need all the budget and time they can get because even SotN reused assets from Rondo. But this game cannot reuse any at all, so it's going to need as much as it can get to be the biggest and best game it can be. I suppose it's mitigated somewhat by it being 2.5D. In fact I'm glad there hasn't been a huge outrage over it not being 2D. While many of us (myself included) would prefer that, a large portion of us must by now be aware that the low number of dot artists still in the industry in Japan has inflated the price of dot art and made that a rather unrealistic possibility. IGA seems to have a pretty good eye for what is realistic given the situation and budgets he works within, probably due to years of being given very sparse budgets by Konami and still putting out good games with said budgets.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #1085 on: May 14, 2015, 11:51:59 AM »
One must remember that not all of that money goes to development though. They have to send out the rewards to us and stuff. And printing physical copies to give away to backers too. So this budget already includes some of the return of investment, which can't be considered in the budget at all.

A 6 million budget game funded outside of kickstarter will start making money once its released, while this has already made money and they're not gonna sell anymore copies to the people who already pledged. They're only gonna sell digital copies to people who didn't back this, and god know how many/few that will be... So basically they have to look at some of the money as profit, not money to put in the game.

You have a point, I forgot about that part about printing and sending things lol
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1086 on: May 14, 2015, 12:35:18 PM »
Has there been anything said in terms of wanting this game to be bigger than SOTN in all ways? Lol That's my  hope. So much detail put into that game.

The two sample songs are pretty cool btw. The second sounds like it would fit well in with SOTN. I dig it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:46:52 PM by CastleDan »

Offline The Most Curious Thing

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #1087 on: May 14, 2015, 01:03:18 PM »
+1

Yeah, the costs of backer reward fulfillment, the fees of Fangamer and 2 Player Productions, and the opportunity cost of lost sales on release are going to take huge chunks out of the Kickstarter money. I don't know the logistics of huge Kickstarter campaigns, but I'm guesstimating about 10% of Kickstarter funding will go into reward fulfillment and about 30% will vanish into lost sales. And Fangamer and 2 Player combined may take out a few hundred thousand more when all's said and done (including all the little stuff that adds up, like travel costs, and bearing in mind that if Fangamer is handling reward fulfillment their fees will quickly scale up to the number of backers).

The lost sales aren't a huge deal for us since Inti/IGA will see the money either way and the budget won't be affected (unless we want to see this turn into a franchise), but Kickstarter money definitely comes at a greater premium than venture capital or traditional publishing.

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1088 on: May 14, 2015, 01:05:49 PM »
Idk if anyone noticed but they updated the Faq section of the kickstarter ...one thing stuck out.

Will there be an inverted castle? 

Answer:  You’d really want us to spoil it for you? Even though Lord IGA knows the idea of an inverted castle stretch goal would bring in money, he’d rather keep that one as a question mark for now to value creative integrity, first.

I like this answer, god it'd be so cool if this was IGA's spiritual sequel to SOTN. In the sense that it's his second attempt of that in an all new way without being held down by the castlevania name. Fully exploring anything he wants. Here's hoping they end up making a great castle that has a little flip moment!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1089 on: May 14, 2015, 01:18:31 PM »
One must remember that not all of that money goes to development though.

I think the Playtonic guys estimated that about 40% of the Kickstarter funds for Yooka-Laylee go toward game development. Figures will vary but yeah, I'd expect half or less than of any Kickstarter for a game of this size to go toward development.

Hoping to contribute to Bloodstained soon. I'd like to get a physical copy so I'll probably need to get a PS4 by the time it comes out. Fine by me since I'd like one for Metal Gear Solid V and some other games anyway.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #1090 on: May 14, 2015, 01:23:34 PM »
+2
Meanwhile, at Konami's HQ:

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1091 on: May 14, 2015, 01:40:19 PM »
Idk if anyone noticed but they updated the Faq section of the kickstarter ...one thing stuck out.

Will there be an inverted castle? 

Answer:  You’d really want us to spoil it for you? Even though Lord IGA knows the idea of an inverted castle stretch goal would bring in money, he’d rather keep that one as a question mark for now to value creative integrity, first.

I like this answer, god it'd be so cool if this was IGA's spiritual sequel to SOTN. In the sense that it's his second attempt of that in an all new way without being held down by the castlevania name. Fully exploring anything he wants. Here's hoping they end up making a great castle that has a little flip moment!
  THXS I really really hope so;)

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #1092 on: May 14, 2015, 01:40:57 PM »
Meanwhile, at Konami's HQ:

WOW really? Source?

Offline Dengo vlad tepes

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1093 on: May 14, 2015, 02:03:38 PM »
Has there been anything said in terms of wanting this game to be bigger than SOTN in all ways? Lol That's my  hope. So much detail put into that game.

The two sample songs are pretty cool btw. The second sounds like it would fit well in with SOTN. I dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TzfM6QUs6A&feature=youtu.be

here : ) he actually mentioned it that will be the biggest IGAvania game

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1094 on: May 14, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
I can't help but feel a little hyped, though of course I well know we've got to wait until well after the kickstarter has finished to see how the project goes :)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Tags:

anything